SEC & ESPN Deal's Effects

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I looked through the first few pages, so forgive me if I missed this topic already being discussed.

Still hoping something, anything makes the SEC go sideways.

Advertisement
I looked through the first few pages, so forgive me if I missed this topic already being discussed.

One thing that will help is a conference that has a better commissioner. Whereas the SEC is all about promoting its brand, the ACC takes every opportunity to dilute its own reputation. I know I've said it a dozen times over the past two weeks but it bears repeating. Any remaining shred of the ACC's tattered reputation- which is based entirely on Clemson at this point- will be destroyed if ND wins the ACC Championship (Miami isn't given an ounce of respect, which is why a G5 team like Cincy that has not played a single P5 this year is ranked ahead of us). An independent team given a one year membership will have beaten every team in the conference, taken the title, and left. It was such an unbelievably stupid decision to let ND in- and even if they let them in, they should have been forced to play all the best teams on the road. Why would the ACC want to give them an opportunity to embarrass the conference? It's not a coincidence that Miami's decline is tied to joining the ACC. It's a basketball conference that thinks it is the Ivy League of the P5s.

I would call this the "TOP" for the SEC. Sell the news!!! This is a good development in my opinion.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Another question, what does this do to CBS as the historical home of the SEC??

Advertisement
One thing that will help is a conference that has a better commissioner. Whereas the SEC is all about promoting its brand, the ACC takes every opportunity to dilute its own reputation. I know I've said it a dozen times over the past two weeks but it bears repeating. Any remaining shred of the ACC's tattered reputation- which is based entirely on Clemson at this point- will be destroyed if ND wins the ACC Championship (Miami isn't given an ounce of respect, which is why a G5 team like Cincy that has not played a single P5 this year is ranked ahead of us). An independent team given a one year membership will have beaten every team in the conference, taken the title, and left. It was such an unbelievably stupid decision to let ND in- and even if they let them in, they should have been forced to play all the best teams on the road. Why would the ACC want to give them an opportunity to embarrass the conference? It's not a coincidence that Miami's decline is tied to joining the ACC. It's a basketball conference that thinks it is the Ivy League of the P5s.
I agree with most of you said, I hate this **** eatin' conference with every fiber of my being. That said, a healthy Clemson, with The Golden Boy at the helm, is going to pound ND. But not by too much, you see, so they can get ND into the final 4. (Where they will absolutely get lit up by Bama)
Miami is going to the Orange Bowl. 3 teams, 3 major Bowls. Think of all the $$$ the ACC will make! Follow the money trail man, the fix is in. You just know Taint is getting in, set up for a rematch of last year's game with Clemson. All eyes will be glued to the set. $$$

I tried to post this, but i was on my cell and couldn’t get it to format correctly.

SEC is gonna get the 3:30 and 8:00 slots. That means a lot of ACC Network in our future (and higher cable bills).

Advertisement
If you thought the bias was bad now... now every student athlete will have a gold toilet to use with all the extra money

Good article for those of you not old enough to see how money changed football.

Hatfield: I heard right about the time I was leaving that there was some talk to it. That had nothing to do with me leaving.

Crowe: Frank asked me, "Jack, what would you think about us going to the SEC?" I told him, "Let me tell you something, Frank: We have a hard time beating Texas here. There's five Texases over there. Five."

Barry Switzer, Hall of Fame Oklahoma coach, played at Arkansas in 1956-60: ****, in the SEC, all those stadiums seat 100,000. They're all the University Ofs, you know?

On July 30, Broyles and Arkansas announced the school was officially accepting the SEC's invitation, becoming the first in the modern era to jump from one major conference to another, ushering in the new world of realignment. On Aug. 4, Crowe was dispatched, along with quarterback Quinn Grovey, to the Southwest Conference kickoff luncheon in Dallas, the conference's media day. He said he was booed for three minutes straight.

Crowe: I mean, it had been broke in the newspapers five days when I walked into that event. Two-time defending Southwest Conference champions. You don't think them people in Texas were ready to get after my ***? Do you realize what an unequal playing field that was? Let's give 'em some more ammunition, Frank.

During his speech that day, Teaff was met with raucous applause when he told the crowd, "I'm now thoroughly convinced that the Southeastern Conference is the Iraq of the college football scene in America," and Slocum said players would be trying to "get their last licks on Arkansas."

DeLoss Dodds, Texas athletic director, 1981-2014: They were a great rival and it probably hurt them more to leave than it hurt us to have them leave.

Crowe: We were just asked to be good soldiers. I almost had a revolt on my team. Those kids, so many of them were from Texas. They came there to play games in Texas.

Teaff: I think those of us that loved the conference were hurt. And if we had any common sense, we knew that it was probably the beginning of the end. It was a blow. I think some of the big schools started looking around for a better-looking girlfriend.

Crowe: I was told that Texas and Texas A&M were coming with us, along with Florida State. [SEC commissioner] Roy Kramer was going for the whole enchilada now. He was going for all the television markets because that's all it was about. It was about television. It was about going to get the TV contract and sharing the revenue.

Switzer: I remember Frank Broyles telling me why he went to the SEC. He said, "****, as soon as I signed the contract, I got a $6 million raise for our program."

Advertisement
Not sure this makes sense for the SEC. ESPN has lost like 50 million subscribers over the last 10 years and will lose more. They are inching closer and closer to be an OTP streaming service instead of a network family. CBS is still part of basic cable package and doesn’t require upgrade to see it. I watched the SEC in California growing up. Now it’s just another game on a saturated channel no one is watching anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
Back