That was the final tally of conference players drafted for the 2014 NFL draft

For the SEC

LSU - 9
Alabama - 8

For the ACC

FSU - 7 led the way

UNC and Clemson both had 5

Notre Dame had 8

If Notre Dame played the games to be fully in the ACC which of course they don't than that would bring the total to 50 for the ACC to 49 for the SEC.

Seems like the ACC is closing the talent gap on the SEC

Advertisement
That was the final tally of conference players drafted for the 2014 NFL draft

For the SEC

LSU - 9
Alabama - 8

For the ACC

FSU - 7 led the way

UNC and Clemson both had 5

Notre Dame had 8

If Notre Dame played the games to be fully in the ACC which of course they don't than that would bring the total to 50 for the ACC to 49 for the SEC.

Seems like the ACC is closing the talent gap on the SEC
Louisville 3
53 with those two schools

121.gif

Advertisement
who won the ship?

**** i would love to feel pride that the acc won it BUT I dislike them more than I like the acc.

Congratulations. You're not a moron (nor an inbred). Conference pride outside of making a case against the $EC is only for the dimmest of dimwits. The chanting of $-E-C, $-E-C might be the singlehanded dumbest thing to hit sports as a whole since the wave.

The ACC has always had talent but it's the coaching that's the problem IMO.

Yep.

Currently, there is only one HC in the ACC who has won a national title. By comparison the SEC has 3. The numbers are even more impressive if you look at the assistants who have been on championship staffs. The ACC recruits from the same region as the SEC, the difference SHOULDN'T be that substantial.

Saying that though, just looking at total players drafted doesn't tell the whole tale. The SEC had 11 in the 1st round and 4 of the top 10 while the ACC had 5 in the 1st round and 2 in the top 10. Similar trends show in the other rounds. The SEC had more high-end impact players while it appears the ACC had bettter depth in the mid rounds.

Yep.

Currently, there is only one HC in the ACC who has won a national title. By comparison the SEC has 3. The numbers are even more impressive if you look at the assistants who have been on championship staffs. The ACC recruits from the same region as the SEC, the difference SHOULDN'T be that substantial.

Saying that though, just looking at total players drafted doesn't tell the whole tale. The SEC had 11 in the 1st round and 4 of the top 10 while the ACC had 5 in the 1st round and 2 in the top 10. Similar trends show in the other rounds. The SEC had more high-end impact players while it appears the ACC had bettter depth in the mid rounds.

$EC:
123.gif

Advertisement

Yep.

Yes the SEC has more talent, but the ACC is closing the gap:

Adding Louisville who had 3 first rounders this season will only make it closer

Not sure what similar trends you say in the draft but through the first 4 rounds:

SEC - 25 players drafted
ACC - 28 players drafted not including Louisville's 4 players

Sec had 24 players drafted from rounds 5 - 7 which is almost 50%

And of the top 150 picks in the draft an ACC school had the most players drafted FSU

Last edited:

Yep.

Not sure what similar trends you say in the draft but through the first 4 rounds:

SEC - 25 players drafted

And of the top 150 picks in the draft an ACC school had the most players drafted FSU

Similar trends as far the SEC having more perceived impact guys.

I've already shown the 1st round numbers where the SEC more than doubles the ACC. In the second round the SEC had 7 picks compared to the ACC's 3. In the 3rd round the SEC had 5 and the ACC had 5 as well. I'm not disputing the raw numbers, because they're clearly about even. But the facts show the SEC had players going higher and more frequently in rounds 1 and 2, which are the rounds you're hoping to draft future starters.

But overall I agree, the ACC is closing the gap. Quite frankly there shouldn't be a gap as is. I think more schools need to commit more to football. Right now it's Clemson, FSU, and everyone else (in terms of $ commited to football). They are the only ACC schools in Forbe's top 25 as far as earnings by a football program.

Killa is spot on, though the numbers may be close the elite level talent was not. I think it will be getting better, and if Miami ever becomes Miami again it will get real close. Heck, even Ag said as much. "Miami, needs to be Miami again."

Advertisement
Give me the 1st round DL numbers if anyone has it because besides FSU it is why the SEC owns all, FSU is the only team who recruits DL on par if not better than the SEC the last 4 years. It is the key for us to get back where we want to, I just care about UM fk the rest of CFB to be honest.

If Miami is Miami again it won't matter because when Miami is at it's best it's better than everyone else. History has proven that. The acc is making up ground on the sec with Miami being mediocre. It's only a matter of time.

Advertisement
who won the ship?

**** i would love to feel pride that the acc won it BUT I dislike them more than I like the acc.

Thats how you are supposed to feel!!!!! Still cant believe some of these dudes actually cheered for fsu.....weak *** excuses like "im tired of the sec winning......i want the acc to win......im cheering for the state of florida"
Thats last one is still the dumbest **** I have ever heard!!!!!!!!

Yep.

SEC - 25 players drafted

Similar trends as far the SEC having more perceived impact guys.

I've already shown the 1st round numbers where the SEC more than doubles the ACC. In the second round the SEC had 7 picks compared to the ACC's 3. In the 3rd round the SEC had 5 and the ACC had 5 as well. I'm not disputing the raw numbers, because they're clearly about even. But the facts show the SEC had players going higher and more frequently in rounds 1 and 2, which are the rounds you're hoping to draft future starters.

But overall I agree, the ACC is closing the gap. Quite frankly there shouldn't be a gap as is. I think more schools need to commit more to football. Right now it's Clemson, FSU, and everyone else (in terms of $ commited to football). They are the only ACC schools in Forbe's top 25 as far as earnings by a football program.

The round break down:

Round 1 SEC - 11 ACC - 5 Not including Louisville 3 since they dont officially join until next season

Round 2 SEC - 7 ACC - 3

Round 3 SEC - 5 ACC - 7 Louisville had one in the 3rd

Round 4 SEC - 3 ACC - 13

Round 5 SEC - 10 ACC - 3

Round 6 SEC - 8 ACC - 5

Round 7 SEC - 5 ACC - 6

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back