Searles vs Keyhole

Advertisement
The run blocking has been the same this year to last. The pass blocking has been worse but I think this is due mainly to the scheme. Richt has guys running deep routes and with those routes you're asking the line to block for a longer period of time compared to the shorter routes that Coley preferred. Richt needs to see that this isn't working and scheme shorter routes.

But the bottom line is that there is still a void of talent.

Darling is a guard. He's vastly overmatched at LT. You can mask him vs inferior competition, but since ACC play has begun he's been a turnstile. McDermott had been playing pretty well but last week he struggled mightily and got benched for Alex ******* Gall. Yea, it was that bad. McDermott has overall not lived up to his recruiting hype. Linder is OK at center. He's undersized but he typically holds his own. I'd like to see him on some more pulls. Remember when he was mauling dudes at G his freshman year on pulls? That was fun. Isidora is also generally decent. He struggles with quick moves as evidenced last week when he had his ankles broke on that spin move, but he's probably our best overall lineman. St. Louis has the biggest ceiling of any lineman we have but he's not ready for primetime. Last week he got his *** kicked. He's physically talented but his technique is so sloppy. I also think there may be a bit of a focus issue. One play he'll look dominant and the next play he'll look clueless. We need to keep giving him reps though, because he is likely our future LT. Odogwu is not a starting lineman. He's just too slow. He's a backup at best and should not see reps unless there is an injury.

Last edited:
The run blocking has been the same this year to last. The pass blocking has been worse but I think this is due mainly to the scheme. Richt has guys running deep routes and with those routes you're asking the line to block for a longer period of time compared to the shorter routes that Coley preferred. Richt needs to see that this isn't working and scheme shorter routes.

Darling is a guard. He's vastly overmatched at LT. You can mask him vs inferior competition, but since ACC play has begun he's been a turnstile. McDermott had been playing pretty well but last week he struggled mightily and got benched for Alex ****ing Gall. Yea, it was that bad. McDermott has overall not lived up to his recruiting hype. Linder is OK at center. He's undersized but he typically holds his own. I'd like to see him on some more pulls. Remember when he was mauling dudes at G his freshman year on pulls? That was fun. Isidora is also generally decent. He struggles with quick moves as evidenced last week when he had his ankles broke on that spin move, but he's probably our best overall lineman. St. Louis has the biggest ceiling of any lineman we have but he's not ready for primetime. Last week he got his *** kicked. He's physically talented but his technique is so sloppy. I also think there may be a bit of a focus issue. One play he'll look dominant and the next play he'll look clueless. We need to keep giving him reps though, because he is likely our future LT. Odogwu is not a starting lineman. He's just too slow. He's a backup at best and should not see reps unless there is an injury.

Coley went down field WAYYYY more times than Richt does. Phillip Dorsett says hi. 8 dropped balls to Rashawn Scott, with 4 of them being over 20 yards in the bowl game against Washington State says hi.

Advertisement
With less running yards this year against FSU....we threw much more deep balls last year, and completed most of them also.

Darling is a guard. He's vastly overmatched at LT. You can mask him vs inferior competition, but since ACC play has begun he's been a turnstile. McDermott had been playing pretty well but last week he struggled mightily and got benched for Alex ****ing Gall. Yea, it was that bad. McDermott has overall not lived up to his recruiting hype. Linder is OK at center. He's undersized but he typically holds his own. I'd like to see him on some more pulls. Remember when he was mauling dudes at G his freshman year on pulls? That was fun. Isidora is also generally decent. He struggles with quick moves as evidenced last week when he had his ankles broke on that spin move, but he's probably our best overall lineman. St. Louis has the biggest ceiling of any lineman we have but he's not ready for primetime. Last week he got his *** kicked. He's physically talented but his technique is so sloppy. I also think there may be a bit of a focus issue. One play he'll look dominant and the next play he'll look clueless. We need to keep giving him reps though, because he is likely our future LT. Odogwu is not a starting lineman. He's just too slow. He's a backup at best and should not see reps unless there is an injury.

Coley went down field WAYYYY more times than Richt does. Phillip Dorsett says hi. 8 dropped balls to Rashawn Scott, with 4 of them being over 20 yards in the bowl game against Washington State says hi.

You're nit picking one game.

If you look at Coley's entire tenure, 80% of the time he went deep it was a straight vertical. Richt likes to run long outs, crossers, comebacks, etc. It's a much bigger part of the offense now.

If you look at Coley's entire tenure, 80% of the time he went deep was a straight vertical. Richt likes to run long outs, crossers, comebacks, etc. It's a much bigger part of the offense now.

I chose that 1 game as an example...I also brought up Phillip Dorsett who If I remember correctly...lead the league in Yards Per Catch with like 27.7 or some ****?

Edit from Dorsett's Draft profile:
Second-team All-ACC wide receiver in 2014. Ten of his 36 catches were for touchdowns and he averaged 24.2 yards per catch. Mind-boggling big-play production with half of his catches going for 25-plus yards in 2014

You don't average 24 YPC from not going deep multiple times on 36 catches.

Last edited:

If you look at Coley's entire tenure, 80% of the time he went deep was a straight vertical. Richt likes to run long outs, crossers, comebacks, etc. It's a much bigger part of the offense now.

I chose that 1 game as an example...I also brought up Phillip Dorsett who If I remember correctly...lead the league in Yards Per Catch with like 27.7 or some ****?

Second-team All-ACC wide receiver in 2014. Ten of his 36 catches were for touchdowns and he averaged 24.2 yards per catch. Mind-boggling big-play production with half of his catches going for 25-plus yards in 2014

And once again, the chunk of those yards were on straight verticals. Show me five plays where Dorsett caught the ball 20+ yards down the field and the route wasn't a vertical.

Advertisement
By the way, that's not to say Richt doesn't like verticals. He loves them.

My point was overall we go deep much more with Richt.

Richt and Coley both liked verticals, but Richt likes other deep routes too.

And once again, the chunk of those yards were on straight verticals. Show me five plays where Dorsett caught the ball 20+ yards down the field and the route wasn't a vertical.

I'm not arguing Route Combinations...I'm arguing the fact that you said Coley elected to run short passes more often than Richt, which is false. I'm using YPC as my proof, because no matter how many successful verts you run...Your average will be tanked by Screen passes and hook routes if you catch a bunch of them...But no, his average is bumped up from many deep passes and not as many short passes.

And Kaaya also had a first round pick at LT blocking for him. Feliciano is also starting in the NFL, I believe.

The problem with the question is we don't know if it's coaching, learning curve of new system, talent or all of the above? Only thing you can do is look at stats that say the line is awful but it's hard to determine why unless you can speak with those who know. Former coaches players etc. I asked a former OLineman for Canes who didn't want to be quoted and basically he said "Everytime I look I see more problems so I block it out!" Some guys aren't coachable and are basically stupid to put it bluntly . How many of those have we had lately?

But why everyone knew Dorito was putrid since 2010 and Folden doing nothing about it was astonishing. At least Randy fired Woeful Nix/Walton and replaced them with equally Woeful Whipple/NA. The scary part as posters mentioned no changes to staff in offseason means serious trouble. I want Thomas Brown demoted back to RBs coach. Keep him in that role he is a good RBs guy not a game plan guy.

Is it technique or S&C didn't do their jobs? So many variables go into why we have the worst OLine play in the nation and it isn't even close.

Anyone has more insight would love to know besides the always common answer "We are not deep enough!" Gotcha!

Last edited:
Advertisement
The problem with the question is we don't know if it's coaching, learning curve of new system, talent or all of the above? Only thing you can do is look at stats that say the line is awful but it's hard to determine why unless you can speak with those who know. Former coaches players etc. I asked a former OLineman for Canes who didn't want to be quoted and basically he said "Everytime I look I see more problems so I block it out!" Some guys aren't coachable and are basically stupid to put it bluntly . How many of those have we had lately?

But why everyone knew Dorito was putrid since 2010 and Folden doing nothing about it was astonishing. At least Randy fired Woeful Nix/Walton and replaced them with equally Woeful Whipple/NA. The scary part as posters mentioned no changes to staff in offseason means serious trouble. I want Thomas Brown demoted back to RBs coach. Keep him in that role he is a good RBs guy not a game plan guy.

Is it technique or S&C didn't do their jobs? So many variables go into why we have the worst OLine play in the nation and it isn't even close.

Anyone has more insight would love to know besides the always common answer "We are not deep enough!" Gotcha!

I've always thought we've had relatively stupid players, but I always hesitate to say anything because it's politically incorrect. For over quarter of a century we've had chronic problems with stupid penalties and I wonder what guys are doing. Like that catch by Malcolm Lewish of a KO going out of bounds at the 5 yard line. That was so typically Miami from even back in the '80's. We could always find a way to overcome that and win anyway.

I don't know, maybe it's south Florida, the schools, I don't know. I know I'll be negged like crazy but I've always thought we were on the bottom side of the IQ scale. To me, that Malcolm Lewis play was old-time Miami, but we don't have the rest of the old-time Miami to go along with it. My impression, especially back in the '80's, is that we put such crazed savages out on the field that we scared the bejesus out of the opposing teams, especially those who drew most of their players from places like the northeast where they weren't used to south Florida animals. We'd taunt and act crazy like we were on ganja and who knows what else and the other teams were beat the minute we stepped on the field for pregame practices. Remember the fight at ND in '88? We really won the game despite the fact ND had bigger stronger guys When the nice kids from the northeast saw our players and interacted with them during pregames I have a feeling they had a deer in the headlights look...they didn't know what was going on and what was about to happen

Sorry if this is a politically incorrect post, maybe it's a bit exaggerated, but not by that much. I just think we mentally defeated the nice kids before the game really got going. We even did it to the Gators. Remember that opener against UF in '87, I think. Did we send Kerwin Bell to the hospital? I even watched how we handled kickoff coverage. The play would always end up with a bunch of gators on the ground, and our guys standing. It seems every KO coverage guy won his individual battle. The only smudge was on Willis Peguese who couldn't longsnap to save his life. Now we recruit a dedicated longsnapping specialist.

Virginia Tech in '94? I watched Warren Sapp exploding into a bigger Va Tech OL and the guy flying back into the offensive backfield, off his feet, like he was carry some of those space shuttle booster rockets on his hips and had just ignited. Where is that physicality and domination now?

I've always thought we've had relatively stupid players, but I always hesitate to say anything because it's politically incorrect. For over quarter of a century we've had chronic problems with stupid penalties and I wonder what guys are doing. Like that catch by Malcolm Lewish of a KO going out of bounds at the 5 yard line. That was so typically Miami from even back in the '80's. We could always find a way to overcome that and win anyway.

I don't know, maybe it's south Florida, the schools, I don't know. I know I'll be negged like crazy but I've always thought we were on the bottom side of the IQ scale. To me, that Malcolm Lewis play was old-time Miami, but we don't have the rest of the old-time Miami to go along with it. My impression, especially back in the '80's, is that we put such crazed savages out on the field that we scared the bejesus out of the opposing teams, especially those who drew most of their players from places like the northeast where they weren't used to south Florida animals. We'd taunt and act crazy like we were on ganja and who knows what else and the other teams were beat the minute we stepped on the field for pregame practices. Remember the fight at ND in '88? We really won the game despite the fact ND had bigger stronger guys When the nice kids from the northeast saw our players and interacted with them during pregames I have a feeling they had a deer in the headlights look...they didn't know what was going on and what was about to happen

Sorry if this is a politically incorrect post, maybe it's a bit exaggerated, but not by that much. I just think we mentally defeated the nice kids before the game really got going. We even did it to the Gators. Remember that opener against UF in '87, I think. Did we send Kerwin Bell to the hospital? I even watched how we handled kickoff coverage. The play would always end up with a bunch of gators on the ground, and our guys standing. It seems every KO coverage guy won his individual battle. The only smudge was on Willis Peguese who couldn't longsnap to save his life. Now we recruit a dedicated longsnapping specialist.

Virginia Tech in '94? I watched Warren Sapp exploding into a bigger Va Tech OL and the guy flying back into the offensive backfield, off his feet, like he was carry some of those space shuttle booster rockets on his hips and had just ignited. Where is that physicality and domination now?

Good post. Case in point was the Cotton Bowl. Penalties galore overcome by sheer ruthless domination. It was fun to watch.

It's a recipe for disaster when you aren't that good and nobody is scared of you and you still constantly do dumb ****. Goes from fun to watch to unwatchable.

One thing I was certain Richt would fix was the bonehead penalties and general dumbness I blamed on Golden, and it hasn't happened at all.

the OL never looked this bad in any of the four hundred and seventy two years that Art Kehoe was here

Ch8TIQCUgAAx78H.jpg

Attachments

• Ch8TIQCUgAAx78H.jpg
    Ch8TIQCUgAAx78H.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back