Searels career

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
Here is the low down on Stacy Searels. Excellent work at LSU and Georgia. Texas not so good, Virginia Tech incomplete grade. I'm not saying he was personally responsible for all recruits. This just looks at his coaching. It seems to me that he did well with good HCs in Saban and Richt. How much he contributed to the Mack Brown dumpster fire, I don't know. I do know that Texas is having very few kids drafted over the past few years (11 over the last 4 years, many late rounders from a school that should have the pick of the litter in Texas). At Virginia Tech, IMO, Beamer has been done for a few years, a shell of himself. Their overall talent is way down as well. Overall, I think it will be a pretty good hire.

Stacy Searels at LSU from 2003-2006

Players coached but not recruited

Stephen Peterman-NFL 3rd round, All SEC 2003
Andrew Whitworth-NFL 2nd round, All SEC 2004,2005
Bill Wilkerson- Played 4 NFL seasons as UFA, All SEC 2003,2004
Rudy Niswanger- Played 5 NFL seasons as UFA, All SEC 2005
Brian Johnson- All SEC 2006

Players recruited and coached some.

Will Arnold- All SEC 2005, 2006
Herman Johnson-NFL 5th round, All SEC 2007, 2008
Ciron Black- All SEC 2007, 2008, 2009
Phil Loadholt-NFL 2nd round-signed by LSU out of Juco and then transferred to OU
Joseph Barksdale-NFL 3rd round, All SEC 2010, 2011
Will Blackwell- All SEC 2011

Stacy Searels at Georgia from 2007-2010

Players coached but not recruited

Chester Adams- NFL 7th round
Fernando Velasco- All SEC 2007

Players recruited and coached some

Justin Anderson-NFL 7th round
Clint Boling- NFL 4th round, All SEC 2008, 2009, 2010
Trinton Sturdivant- Freshman All America, career ruined by multiple knee tears
Cordy Glenn-NFL 2nd round, All SEC 2011
Ben Jones- NFL 4th round, All SEC 2009, 2011
Chris Burnette- All SEC 2012
David Andrews-All SEC 2014

Stacy Searels at Texas from 2011-2013

Players coached but not recruited, some of his guys are still there

David Snow- Hon Mention All Big 12 2011
Mason Walters-Hon Mention All Big 12 2011, 2012
Trey Hopkins- All Big 12 2013

Players recruited and coached some

Donald Hawkins-All Big 12 2013

Stacy Searels at Virginia Tech from 2014-2015

No All conference players coached, way too early to see any pro prospects from their OL recruits.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The more I research all these different coaches, the more I realize a lot of their success or failure hinges on circumstance.

Is this guy an elite OL coach? I have no idea, but at the very least he knows what he's doing and it seems like his specialty melds with what Richt is trying to do offensively. That's a stark contrast to the frankenstein staffs we've put together over the past decade.

The more I research all these different coaches, the more I realize a lot of their success or failure hinges on circumstance.

Is this guy an elite OL coach? I have no idea, but at the very least he knows what he's doing and it seems like his specialty melds with what Richt is trying to do offensively. That's a stark contrast to the frankenstein staffs we've put together over the past decade.

So true. In fact, the closest thing to a college coach with no blemishes that I've found is Kuligowski...and in the shock of all shocks we somehow fell *** backwards in to him.

Even when it comes to head coaches, outside of your Sabans and Meyers, everyone has shaky areas of the resume. Fielding a good staff comes down to betting on pedigress and taking holistic views of their careers...because anyone who wants to point to a bad season or a bad stint will probably be able to with 99% of these guys.

Advertisement

So true. In fact, the closest thing to a college coach with no blemishes that I've found is Kuligowski...and in the shock of all shocks we somehow fell *** backwards in to him.

Even when it comes to head coaches, outside of your Sabans and Meyers, everyone has shaky areas of the resume. Fielding a good staff comes down to betting on pedigress and taking holistic views of their careers...because anyone who wants to point to a bad season or a bad stint will probably be able to with 99% of these guys.

Even Saban had a terrible first year at Alabama.

Coaches are not perfect. They have bad seasons and make bad calls and make bad hires.

The trick is to pick the ones that are better than the majority.

Even Saban had a terrible first year at Alabama.

Coaches are not perfect. They have bad seasons and make bad calls and make bad hires.

The trick is to pick the ones that are better than the majority.

Urban Meyer had an 8-5 season at UF and a 9-4 season sandwiched between his two championships. It happens. Most coaches aren't undefeated or 12-1 every year. Have to play the averages with a lot of these coaches.

If CMR hires a coach he's previously had on staff, that must mean the assistant has performed to a high (enough) level. No reason to stain a clean slate. I feel better about the OL then the DC, but time will tell and Richt has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement
Back