Sean Gleeson is vague about OkSt future in Post Game Interview

Paranos

All-ACC
It appears Rutgers is also bidding for Gleeson's services along with Miami.

Following the Texas Bowl on Friday night, Gleeson kept his focus OK State when asked about the rumors of him leaving for another job after only 1 year in Stillwater, OK.
Gleeson told reporters “If the amount of time that I spent in that locker room with the kids is any indication, you know I’m with these guys right now,”. Gleeson went on to say “I want to reward these seniors for all the hard work that they've provided this program and talk about the promise of this team going into the future. It’s not really something where I want to talk about me right now. It’s not about me, I don’t want to take away anything from these kids.”

This season Gleeson’s play calling allowed Oklahoma State's offense to average 33 points and 454 yards per game. The OK State's rushing attack totalled 2,985 yards and the offense threw for 2,916 yards.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
FWIW, in 2019, Ok State was:

40th nationally, in PPG (32.5)

24th in Total Offense (453.9)

49th in first downs (22)

80th in fewest TO (1.5)

73rd in passing yards (224.3)

17th in rushing yards (229.6)

28th in fewest penalties (5.2)

All figures provided are per game averages.

My thoughts: balanced attack consistent with what's been written about Gleeson online. Good team discipline. OL would remain a concern given the obvious emphasis on the run game. He wouldn't have the OL that OK State has, which was the same problem Enos ran into.

Also don't see why he would come here. He finally broke into the big leagues with OK State, had a decent first year there, which he can build on in year two. Why would he leave the sure thing he has going in OK State, or a potential opportunity to go back to his home state as Rutgers' OC, to come to this fiasco??

If we are in fact connected to him, my guess is he is leveraging us to get more money out of OK State or Rutgers.

The other thing to consider here is that Gleeson is literally running Mike Gundy's offense not his own playbook. So leaving OK State's would allow him to run his offense after having earned a pseudo 1yr masters in the spread offense under Mike Gundy. Coming to Miami would make the most sense in giving Gleeson offensive autonomy and access to speedy southern athletes. Not to mention he can hold UM hostage for a 100% guaranteed $1MM\yr three year deal due to Diaz being a potential lame duck.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back