Scrimmage thoughts

AlexCane

Senior
(I posted this over on WEZ, but DMoney asked me to copy it here as well.)

So, this is the time of the year when I start to get optimistic. We start getting Greentree practice reports about so and so tearing it up. And we got all these highly touted freshmen coming in …

Well, had I wanted to remain optimistic, I should have steered clear of Hialeah on Saturday.

-Overall, the D just isn’t very good. It’s going to be tough watching them play. In general, the secondary scares me, in particular, safety play. And our linebackers in coverage is a recipe for disaster.

-Offensively, let me note this … maybe Rashawn Scott turns into that guy … but we don’t have a proven playmaker on offense. Last year, we knew Lamar would be capable of making big plays and making something out of nothing. And Streeter turned into a big play threat as well. If Scott’s play doesn’t translate from practice field onto games, I’m not sure where we turn to for a dynamic playmaker on offense (unless one of the incoming freshman assumes that role, which is asking a lot).

-Away from the negatives, Ryan Williams really impressed me. Athletically, he doesn’t jump out at you at all. Isn’t a great athlete. Doesn’t have a strong arm. (Maybe this is why he didn’t have a lot of scholarship offers?) But … kid looked good. For being very limited athletically, he moves very well in the pocket. Seemingly good pocket awareness. Understands where pressure is coming from and where to move in the pocket. Always keeps his eyes up field. On one particular play, got pressured, play blew up, rolled out and threw a beautiful pass to a streaking Thompkins down the sidelines that Thompkins laid out for and missed by an inch. If that’s Rashawn Scott or a taller receiver, the kid is still running.

He has great anticipation of where a receiver is going to be … guys caught ball in-stride. I thought the best play I say all day was what looked like a post corner to Thompkins. Williams threw the ball before Thompkins even turned. When Thompkins turned, it was right there. Perfect ball placement. Could not have been thrown better.

Now, does he throw a duck here and there. Yeah. But, he understands limitations. How many times did Jacory force balls into double and triple teams? It’s just one practice, but I don’t get the sense that Williams forces the issue. He takes what is given to him … and that included a few really good check-downs to running backs.

Lastly, he throws the ball very well on the run. There were A LOT of designed roll-outs.

-This is going to be a legit QB competition.

-Crow is way ahead of Dewey right now. I like Crow’s ball more than Dewey’s. Dewey really struggled. Even missed a very simple screen pass with no pressure and a wide open RB out of backfield. But both should be in high school right now, so I give them a pass.

-3 dropped INTs … Paul, Cornelius, and AJ each dropped one, with AJ’s being the most glaring. It was a duck that a JV kid would get 99 out of 100 times.

-Larry Hope is smallish right now … but he ain’t afraid to hit. Give me some 175 pound kid who ain’t afraid to stick his nose in than some physical freak who’s scared to hit someone.

-On that subject, let me give the D some credit. They’re more physical than years past. Armbrister, Paul, and Hope had some big hits. And we know Perryman and Chick aren’t afraid to hit.

-The least physical play of the day, McGee “tackling” Scott by running into him. Granted, he knocked Scott down. But, that’s a broken tackle or a juke 5 out of 10 times. McGee has been here what, 3, 4, years and still not properly tackling.

-It’s pretty evident that the more this becomes Golden’s team, we are going to have a big, physical defense. His LB recruits are big. Paul is a big bruiser. Eddie Johnson looks huge for a LB. I actually mistook him for a freshman lineman!

-TEs … Cleveland had a drop, but for the most part caught the ball well inside the hashes. Would be nice to have a threat in the middle of the field. Walford was mostly quiet. A lot of 2 TE sets. Perry looks to be an athletic specimen, but did not appear very natural catching the ball. Dye alligator-armed a pass.

-RBs … re: Clements and James. IMO, Mike James had the better scrimmage and is the better player. Unless Duke or Danny Dillard shine, I think James will get more carries than anyone else.

-The difference between Mike and “OT” is that OT gets into his top gear very quickly. His burst/acceleration is very good. For that reason, OT hits the hole fast and hard; and is thus very good on 3rd and short. But, OT’s problem is that that is his top gear. Mike, on the other hand, doesn’t get into his top gear as quick as OT; but tops out faster than OT. Once they get past the first line of defense, Mike > Clements. I felt like each of Clements carries was 4 yards. Mike turns those 4 yard runs into 6-8.

-That Darris Hughes kid ran hard as ****. Didn’t even know who he was. He is a transfer from Georgia State. He played like a kid with a chip on his shoulder. I’m not sure they told him it was a scrimmage and not a game. Not sure what role - if any - he has on this team, but kid ran hard and physical. Props to him.

-Dorsett was a bit underwhelming. Dropped one, but caught a couple deep balls later in the scrimmage.

-Seantrel was at RT.

-Ricardo Williams and Hoilett aren’t 220 pound DEs any more. Both are progressing physically.

-Disappointed to see Chick was hurt and not playing.

-Lastly, funnest play of the day was Scott’s 55 yard TD catch and run. But I’m not sure whether to be excited about how fast Scott looked, or how slow VT and Ray Ray looked running after him?

-Oh, and Tracy Howard, Malcolm Lewis, Ivan McCartney, Duke, Streeter, and Lamar were all in the stands.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I have a good feeling about Williams. College qb's don't need to have a strong arm if they do the other things well. I could see him beating out Morris.

The OP was a good post, thanks.

I'm also concerned about the Safety's lack of foot speed. I saw the video of Scott's long touchdown in the scrimmage, and if you stop the vid at the point Scott catches the ball you're saying no way he scores. But then he does. Ouch. I definitely don't think anyone can feel safe at Safety.

As for the rough play, I remind myself that this is still pretty early in Spring practice, and a number of those players are getting their first burn. So, I'm not as concerned about that as some. The team still has a lot of time to come together.

-Away from the negatives, Ryan Williams really impressed me. Athletically, he doesn’t jump out at you at all. Isn’t a great athlete. Doesn’t have a strong arm. (Maybe this is why he didn’t have a lot of scholarship offers?) But … kid looked good. For being very limited athletically, he moves very well in the pocket. Seemingly good pocket awareness. Understands where pressure is coming from and where to move in the pocket. Always keeps his eyes up field. On one particular play, got pressured, play blew up, rolled out and threw a beautiful pass to a streaking Thompkins down the sidelines that Thompkins laid out for and missed by an inch. If that’s Rashawn Scott or a taller receiver, the kid is still running.

He has great anticipation of where a receiver is going to be … guys caught ball in-stride. I thought the best play I say all day was what looked like a post corner to Thompkins. Williams threw the ball before Thompkins even turned. When Thompkins turned, it was right there. Perfect ball placement. Could not have been thrown better.

Now, does he throw a duck here and there. Yeah. But, he understands limitations. How many times did Jacory force balls into double and triple teams? It’s just one practice, but I don’t get the sense that Williams forces the issue. He takes what is given to him … and that included a few really good check-downs to running backs.

Lastly, he throws the ball very well on the run. There were A LOT of designed roll-outs.

So, is it fair to say that Ryan Williams appears to be a poor man's Kenny Dorsey?

Advertisement

So, this is the time of the year when I start to get optimistic. We start getting Greentree practice reports about so and so tearing it up. And we got all these highly touted freshmen coming in …

Well, had I wanted to remain optimistic, I should have steered clear of Hialeah on Saturday.

-Overall, the D just isn’t very good. It’s going to be tough watching them play. In general, the secondary scares me, in particular, safety play. And our linebackers in coverage is a recipe for disaster.

-Offensively, let me note this … maybe Rashawn Scott turns into that guy … but we don’t have a proven playmaker on offense. Last year, we knew Lamar would be capable of making big plays and making something out of nothing. And Streeter turned into a big play threat as well. If Scott’s play doesn’t translate from practice field onto games, I’m not sure where we turn to for a dynamic playmaker on offense (unless one of the incoming freshman assumes that role, which is asking a lot).

-Crow is way ahead of Dewey right now. I like Crow’s ball more than Dewey’s. Dewey really struggled. Even missed a very simple screen pass with no pressure and a wide open RB out of backfield. But both should be in high school right now, so I give them a pass.

-3 dropped INTs … Paul, Cornelius, and AJ each dropped one, with AJ’s being the most glaring. It was a duck that a JV kid would get 99 out of 100 times.

-Larry Hope is smallish right now … but he ain’t afraid to hit. Give me some 175 pound kid who ain’t afraid to stick his nose in than some physical freak who’s scared to hit someone.

-On that subject, let me give the D some credit. They’re more physical than years past. Armbrister, Paul, and Hope had some big hits. And we know Perryman and Chick aren’t afraid to hit.

-The least physical play of the day, McGee “tackling” Scott by running into him. Granted, he knocked Scott down. But, that’s a broken tackle or a juke 5 out of 10 times. McGee has been here what, 3, 4, years and still not properly tackling.

-It’s pretty evident that the more this becomes Golden’s team, we are going to have a big, physical defense. His LB recruits are big. Paul is a big bruiser. Eddie Johnson looks huge for a LB. I actually mistook him for a freshman lineman!

-TEs … Cleveland had a drop, but for the most part caught the ball well inside the hashes. Would be nice to have a threat in the middle of the field. Walford was mostly quiet. A lot of 2 TE sets. Perry looks to be an athletic specimen, but did not appear very natural catching the ball. Dye alligator-armed a pass.

-RBs … re: Clements and James. IMO, Mike James had the better scrimmage and is the better player. Unless Duke or Danny Dillard shine, I think James will get more carries than anyone else.

-The difference between Mike and “OT” is that OT gets into his top gear very quickly. His burst/acceleration is very good. For that reason, OT hits the hole fast and hard; and is thus very good on 3rd and short. But, OT’s problem is that that is his top gear. Mike, on the other hand, doesn’t get into his top gear as quick as OT; but tops out faster than OT. Once they get past the first line of defense, Mike > Clements. I felt like each of Clements carries was 4 yards. Mike turns those 4 yard runs into 6-8.

-That Darris Hughes kid ran hard as ****. Didn’t even know who he was. He is a transfer from Georgia State. He played like a kid with a chip on his shoulder. I’m not sure they told him it was a scrimmage and not a game. Not sure what role - if any - he has on this team, but kid ran hard and physical. Props to him.

-Dorsett was a bit underwhelming. Dropped one, but caught a couple deep balls later in the scrimmage.

-Seantrel was at RT.

-Ricardo Williams and Hoilett aren’t 220 pound DEs any more. Both are progressing physically.

-Disappointed to see Chick was hurt and not playing.

-Lastly, funnest play of the day was Scott’s 55 yard TD catch and run. But I’m not sure whether to be excited about how fast Scott looked, or how slow VT and Ray Ray looked running after him?

-Oh, and Tracy Howard, Malcolm Lewis, Ivan McCartney, Duke, Streeter, and Lamar were all in the stands.

like the sound of that hope he finds a spot on the team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Waaay too soon to give any type of prediction based on the scrimmage. Ive just about lost all faith in VT and Ray Ray though. Absolutely terrible.

4 or 5 wins I think. Depending on sanctions, this year should be the low point from which it's onwards and upwards.

Advertisement
Back