Scrimmage highlights

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I know Pope gets blasted on this site and will continue to, as deserved. He’s been dreadful. But idk, I think the staff is really gonna have a hard time quitting him because he HAS talent. He gets open. He runs good routes. He just can’t catch. And yeah, that’s the majority of the equation, of course. I don’t care how great you are at the other things, if you can’t catch, you can’t play. But it’s gotta be so frustrating for the staff because it’s so much easier to give up on a kid who doesn’t have the talent to make the plays. Who can’t run, who doesn’t have body control, who can’t get in and out of breaks. Pope has all that. I would bet my life that Likens and Lashlee sit in meetings and watch practice film and say things like, “Jesus Christ if we can just get this kid the confidence and ability to catch the football he can be a real weapon.”

I know he can. But doing it is a whole different story. Moral of all this is just to say, I think he’s absolutely gonna get another shot to prove he can or can’t get the job done. Don’t freak out when you see him probably starting against Bama. But you have to think the leash is extremely short now. We’ll see.
Agree with this. The fact he had so many drops, which they only really count drops as balls that hit you in the hands and aren’t contested, tells you the guy was getting open. A lot. Which is as you said, is so ******* frustrating to watch. The good news is, if he actually gives a **** and wants to put in the work, that part can be fixed. We’ve seen here with Hankerson.

The other problem is, he’s not an outside receiver and that’s on the coaches. He’s just not tough and won’t win battles for contested catches. I wouldn’t be surprised if his own farts knock him over, so he sits down to let them rip. I don’t I’ve ever seen a softer trio of players than Pope/Wiggins/Harley. He is what he is in that regard and to continually put him in one on one matches outside and throw 50/50 balls is just ******* stupid. Your essentially wasting a space on the field and conceding a route. How the **** the coaches don’t see that, is beyond me. He needs to be running short/intermediate routes from the slot; the hooks, comebacks, crossing patterns and option routes, that get him open in space. Obviously he has to catch the ball, but that’s the only place he’s gonna have a chance to make an impact as a WR. Which is also a problem, because the short middle of the field is where King struggles the most as a passer. He can’t see over the line to make a lot of those throws.

But either way, he’s not an outside receiver. Period. And he’s not a ******* return guy either. You have to be tough and fearless to return punts and kickoffs. He’s neither. I don’t care if he catches every single kick flawlessly. He doesn’t have it in him to be a returner. Whoever sends him out to return a kick again, needs to be fired. Immediately.

Advertisement
I know Pope gets blasted on this site and will continue to, as deserved. He’s been dreadful. But idk, I think the staff is really gonna have a hard time quitting him because he HAS talent. He gets open. He runs good routes. He just can’t catch. And yeah, that’s the majority of the equation, of course. I don’t care how great you are at the other things, if you can’t catch, you can’t play. But it’s gotta be so frustrating for the staff because it’s so much easier to give up on a kid who doesn’t have the talent to make the plays. Who can’t run, who doesn’t have body control, who can’t get in and out of breaks. Pope has all that. I would bet my life that Likens and Lashlee sit in meetings and watch practice film and say things like, “Jesus Christ if we can just get this kid the confidence and ability to catch the football he can be a real weapon.”

I know he can. But doing it is a whole different story. Moral of all this is just to say, I think he’s absolutely gonna get another shot to prove he can or can’t get the job done. Don’t freak out when you see him probably starting against Bama. But you have to think the leash is extremely short now. We’ll see.
Pope doesn’t bother me near as much as Wiggins.

I think it’s obvious Pope cares and his mistakes make him emotional which unfortunately gets into his head and leads to more mistakes.

How can you tell when they zoom in so much they have a coach blocking footage in their **** highlight package they release
Coaches generally enforce that so the camera doesn't give anything away.

Football coaches think they are guarding the launch codes with practice footage, when, in reality, everyone in the country is running similar stuff and you aren't giving anything to an opponent with a decent coach who understands counters off formations.

Amari should consider himself lucky, normally anything that hits Pope square in the chest gets dropped
Pope held onto the ball. He's still cradling it as he bounces.

It's fun to crap all over our favorite whipping boys, but how many of the people on this board have the mental toughness to still be here after all that kid has gone through (some of it self-inflicted for sure)? Then, the kid makes a nice catch, takes a stick that would break many of the posters on here in half, and people still think it's fun to continue piling on the kid.

Everyone is free to post what they want within the rules, but sheesh, you'd think the kid would be getting applause for that one and not more sh*t.

Advertisement
Back