Screengrabs 1st half pass blocking

Moonman

иди нахуй
D'Eriq King at the top of his drop, with a clean pocket.

CollageMaker_20200915_101121939~2_resize_22.jpg

The OL is not getting enough credit for the job they did pass blocking. This is just a few plays from the 1st half.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Completely agree and not at all to diminish anything, but that really didn't take a whole lot to improve on last year! But seriously, I think they looked tons better and I fully expect them to improve every week under Justice's leadership!
Exactly. They are still at best a mediocre P5 line....but last year they were one of the worst lines in all of FBS, so it is a definite improvement, with more room for improvement moving forward.

OL is greatly enhanced by our dynamic playcalling. The defense is hesitating more than we are blocking better. Probably lol.

OL is greatly enhanced by our dynamic playcalling. The defense is hesitating more than we are blocking better. Probably lol.
Absolutely, but scheme comes into play for all teams' O-lines. We had one of the worst OL in the nation, but that was due to a combination of talent/experience PLUS a scheme that magnified all of the shortcomings. Many other teams with less talent and experience had better OL performances because they didn't hang their OL out to dry with a scheme that requires perfect, top-notch OL play.

Advertisement
I don't think anybody was questioning the pass blocking overall. They graded out pretty well in pass pro.

The run blocking was where I felt there was a lot still to be desired.

Better, but not great. Although I really wasn't expecting great. It's tough to go from completely useless to great in one off-season. I will take "decent".

the line is better, but king saved us from atleast two more sacks ... the line has improved but it's critical we get a mobile qb until we can get our oline recruiting together

The had a couple mishaps on some inside twists and late A-gap blitzes but it was more an issue of the blocker not picking up the correct man than the blocker getting beat. I'm 99% positive this is why they moved Clark into the starting lineup. Tackle play in pass protection was very good. We know what we have in Williams but Campbell didn't get beat and he didn't commit any stupid penalties. King's agility got him out of at least two sacks but he also ran himself right into a sack on a play where protection was solid. It's the kind of thing you live with when you have such a dynamic running threat.

The scheme makes a big difference. Getting the ball out fast helps tremendously. I saw a stat where UAB's starting quarterback held the ball an average of 2.3 seconds before throwing it. The best pass rushers in the world can't get to a quarterback in 2.3 seconds. Teams are going to use that strategy against us so we're going to have to put a higher premium on cutting off the short passing game, even if it means less pressure and fewer sacks.

Quick note: notice how well conditioned our line was? They were moving at a lightning quick pace but rarely had to sub linemen. Feely did a **** of a job with conditioning.

Advertisement
They definitely look improved. But remember that a mobile QB always makes the OL look better. A statue never does.

D'Eriq King at the top of his drop, with a clean pocket.

View attachment 130294

The OL is not getting enough credit for the job they did pass blocking. This is just a few plays from the 1st half.
The QB on the end of his drop is about 1.8 seconds, 2nd read (hitch off drop) is 2.2, 3rd read is 2.6 seconds. After that it's running or "release".

So the top of the drop is typically the first read or "rhythm" in R4 terms. Every hitch is a read route so 2.2 and 2.6. So the real test is to see where the pressure is btwn 2 and 2.6 seconds.

Advertisement
The had a couple mishaps on some inside twists and late A-gap blitzes but it was more an issue of the blocker not picking up the correct man than the blocker getting beat. I'm 99% positive this is why they moved Clark into the starting lineup. Tackle play in pass protection was very good. We know what we have in Williams but Campbell didn't get beat and he didn't commit any stupid penalties. King's agility got him out of at least two sacks but he also ran himself right into a sack on a play where protection was solid. It's the kind of thing you live with when you have such a dynamic running threat.

The scheme makes a big difference. Getting the ball out fast helps tremendously. I saw a stat where UAB's starting quarterback held the ball an average of 2.3 seconds before throwing it. The best pass rushers in the world can't get to a quarterback in 2.3 seconds. Teams are going to use that strategy against us so we're going to have to put a higher premium on cutting off the short passing game, even if it means less pressure and fewer sacks.

Quick note: notice how well conditioned our line was? They were moving at a lightning quick pace but rarely had to sub linemen. Feely did a **** of a job with conditioning.
That's why pressure up the middle from DTs is critical this year. While no one will get there, not as often as usual if teams go this route against us, pressure right in your face is far more disruptive than from the edge. It forces quick decisions, and sometimes bad ones. It could also force a QB to run into the DE as their first instinct is to get away from the immediate pressure in their face.

I think Silvera and Miller are perfect for this. While they might not have amazing stats, their ability to blow up blockers will lead to great things.

Having a mobile QB helps the run blocking big time.
King becomes another blocker in the run game.
That defender that accounts for him on the read/option is essentially being "blocked". He can't tackle the RB if he has to watch King. That's why it's usually one cut and off to the races.
We saw it a bunch of times Thursday night.

It's night and day compared to what we witnessed against UF in our opener last season. I lost track of sacks at some point in the third quarter.

Advertisement
Back