Scramble defense

Wong and Miller were big losses especially on the defensive side . Pack and BJ is a tiny back court and not athletic / explosive. It’s one thing to be small as **** but it’s another to be small and lacking athleticism. That’s why I’ve been yelling about starting George at some point. This team will go as far as the three ball and out scoring people will take them.
Agree 100%. Been saying this for a while about George starting. We won the Clemson game with George starting too. This board including myself really underestimated the value Jordan Miller and Wong had last year and we just haven't been able to replace all that value this year.

Advertisement
Omier and Joseph fear of excess fouls (especially with tobacco refs) probably combine with sore ankles and maybe lower backs to limit aggressive and frequent scramble defense this season. It's also quite exhausting when there is no excellent bench to give some relief. No doubt the knowhow (and Coach L) is there... if the injuries and the bench situation improves we could see a triumphant return nearer to March. Of course can't do much about Valentine and other zebras that won't change their stripes!

Wong and Miller were big losses especially on the defensive side . Pack and BJ is a tiny back court and not athletic / explosive. It’s one thing to be small as **** but it’s another to be small and lacking athleticism. That’s why I’ve been yelling about starting George at some point. This team will go as far as the three ball and out scoring people will take them.
Last year's team didn't run the scramble. I was referring to the 2022 team, which ran the scramble extremely effectively. The 2024 team is far more athletic than the 2022 team. Wooga, Omier, and Cleveland are all more athletic than any player we had in 2022.

It's not all about length and athleticism. This team won't get more athletic and needs to get better at the things they can control, like moving the ball and not turning it over. And I think L needs to be willing to get more creative defensively, like he's done at times in the past (2022 with the scramble, 2014 with a zone).

Pack and Poplar can't stop the ball and Cleveland is no where near the player Jordan Miller was. George is terrible defensively as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back