Scott Patchan is a True Miami Hurricane

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
In the modern age of recruiting, it's rare to find a blue-chip prospect who will commit early and not waver. 2015 Tampa Freedom (Fla.) defensive end Scott Patchan is one of those rare players. His loyalty and outspoken nature have already made him a favorite among the Miami fan base.

“I think it’s an honor to be considered that by fans. As I’ve said before, I’m only a ‘recruiter’ right now, but if I could I would pad up today and go to the University of Miami. I have a lot of love for the University of Miami and I think I’m very lucky to be in that position that I am. I have to thank my parents for that. I get to go to my dad's college and my ultimate goal is to win a national championship. My dad has two rings and my brother Matt has one ring, so I have to get one too (laughs).”

Patchan has made it clear on Twitter how much he enjoys being apart of the Hurricane family and has made an effort to reach out to other commits. However, he's been far less friendly to the recruits who have decommitted.

“Well the kid, I forgot what his name was. He was a commit to Miami and he followed me and I followed him back and were ‘DM’ing” each other about the University of Miami. He was asking me questions and telling me he was excited. The next day he flips from Miami, so I felt that the conversation we had was pretty much pointless. I basically called him out. I really don’t see why you would want to go to a 4-8 school anyways. Miami over the last four years has improved every year. I wish I could say the same for Florida.”

The 6’5, 228-pound edge rusher clarified his stance on what a true commitment means.

“When I went through the whole recruiting process, Miami was the favorite, but I waited for myself to have all the big offers and everything and then I came down to talk to my family and I made my commitment. Unless something changes, lets say Coach Golden gets a job in the NFL, I think everyone would be okay with me taking a step back and reevaluating my options before I make a decision. But Coach Golden hasn’t left and he’s still at the University of Miami. For example, a kid like Kevin Feder committing to Miami only to decommit to Ohio State. Why not wait until you get all your offers and then commit? I just don’t understand it. I just feel like you’re making yourself look stupid.”

Patchan is obviously part of a legacy as his father, Matt Patchan, played for the Hurricanes from 1984 to 1987. It means a lot to both father and son that Scott is carrying on the legacy.

“Going to Miami, his school, I think I made him very proud. He gets to watch his son put on the same or similar uniform that he did and wear the same U logo on the helmet that he did. He’s very proud of that just like he’s proud of my brother Matt, who’s playing for the Buccaneers now and for my other brother who plays basketball at Nova Southeastern University.”

Patchan's Cane memories already go deep, but he's excited to make some more of his own.

“I want to win national championships just like he did. I grew up watching a team that was very successful. A lot of people say ‘You don’t remember all of that’, but I remember sitting in front of the TV with my dad and uncle who both played for Miami. When the '30 for 30' came out on The U, my dad saw a lot of people he knew including Mario Cristobal and Art Kehoe. He made a lot of memories in college and I just want to do what he did. I feel like my dad is very proud of what we have done, but there's a lot more to accomplish and I got a long way to go before it’s all said and done.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
428.gif

Advertisement
I fully expect Patchan to give interviews like Winslow "We don't care about nobody but this U"

[video=youtube;I82BPA5QAaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ&feature=kp[/video]

Love this kids attitude. He's a big bad *** and will call anyone out. Kid will be a stud.

Advertisement
Matt Patchan would have been a Cane if Shannon wasn't the HC. He saw the train was heading off the tracks.

Not true, If Kehoe was there he would have been a cane. Had nothing to do with Randy.

Wrong. If Kehoe was there, that may have been enough to overcome the Patchans' apprehension about Randy. But in the end, it was Shannon who scared Matt off.

Matt Patchan would have been a Cane if Shannon wasn't the HC. He saw the train was heading off the tracks.

Not true, If Kehoe was there he would have been a cane. Had nothing to do with Randy.

Kid became a gator. I refuse to blame anyone but the kid. A gator, he became a gator. He didn't go to some school of higher education, he went to a state school in swamp. A gator.

True Cane to the Bone. Was talking about Gardner who he was talking to on twitter.

Advertisement
Back