Scott Frost

He should go to the Tom Osborne and Wisconsin models of trying to dominate getting massive trench bullies in his geographical area and build up that way.
Here’s a question...how do you realistically get Nebraska back up to 8-9 wins per year?

To kind of build on what you said but go in a more extreme direction, I’m wondering if one way is a version of what Snyder did at KC State. Basically, limit your high school signings if possible to no more than 10 per year. Maybe less. Then go after JUCO and transfer kids - make them your primary focus. And not second year players - third and fourth year players only. Get athletes who have spent three or four years in S&C. They might not be as talented as the 5 star athletes that Ohio State has, but by virtue of age and weight training they partially offset that advantage and are simply stronger and larger. Make Nebraska a team who consistently fields a starting lineup whose average age is 22. Couple that with good coaching anf strong NIL support from alumni and the local community.

Advertisement
Here’s a question...how do you realistically get Nebraska back up to 8-9 wins per year?

To kind of build on what you said but go in a more extreme direction, I’m wondering if one way is a version of what Snyder did at KC State. Basically, limit your high school signings if possible to no more than 10 per year. Maybe less. Then go after JUCO and transfer kids - make them your primary focus. And not second year players - third and fourth year players only. Get athletes who have spent three or four years in S&C. They might not be as talented as the 5 star athletes that Ohio State has, but by virtue of age and weight training they partially offset that advantage and are simply stronger and larger. Make Nebraska a team who consistently fields a starting lineup whose average age is 22. Couple that with good coaching anf strong NIL support from alumni and the local community.
It’s actually a really good question. Is K State still using that model? That’s not the local trench bully approach but one that Snyder mastered.

I think they need to hire a coach who will get them to the 8-9 wins per year like you said and the way they are accustomed to playing. Is Bill O’Brien a good choice after a year or 2 at Bama? He seems like the ground and pound type. I’m assuming they’re not getting Matt Campbell But after Frost, I feel like they need somewhat of an established re-tread to stabilize them. Like if Ed O loses his job - and was willing, Malzahn, these types of names. **** Schiano would be a good one.

Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin - there’s examples to take note of if you’re Frost.
That was brought up throughout yesterday on radio. Almost everyone feels those programs are Nebraska's ceiling at best. The days of T Osborne and nattys are over because national program media exposure, advertising, and reach has pushed Nebraska far back in line.

Arkansas and Tennessee will be Top 10 relevant before Cornhuskers are.

Playing in B1G, where do those 8-9 Ws come from consistently?

Advertisement
Playing in B1G, where do those 8-9 Ws come from consistently?
That’s the challenge. But I am guessing that an above average coach coupled with a team that is perpetually fielding players who are 4-5 year veterans across the board would at least be able to go .500 in the Big Ten. Couple that with purposely weak OOC opponents and you could get to a sustained 8 wins.

Advertisement
It’s actually a really good question. Is K State still using that model? That’s not the local trench bully approach but one that Snyder mastered.

I think they need to hire a coach who will get them to the 8-9 wins per year like you said and the way they are accustomed to playing. Is Bill O’Brien a good choice after a year or 2 at Bama? He seems like the ground and pound type. I’m assuming they’re not getting Matt Campbell But after Frost, I feel like they need somewhat of an established re-tread to stabilize them. Like if Ed O loses his job - and was willing, Malzahn, these types of names. **** Schiano would be a good one.
Bill O'Brien is an upper-tier head coach right now. How he actually fell into our laps is astounding. How Tennessee didn't have this coach on speed dial on their way to Josh Heupel of UCF is criminal. Never give an AD or BOT more credit than what you see.

Advertisement
No, the issue is since joining the B1G they lost pipelines into Oklahoma, Texas and Florida. They can't get those dudes anymore.

Tommy Frazier. Bradenton FL.

Nate Swift Minnesota

Josh Bullocks Tennessee

Lawrence Phillips So.California.

Irving Fryar NJ

Roger Craig.. Iowa

You get the point, they recruited Nationally...now these National recruits want nothing to do with them, primarily because of the advent of Cable TV.
Their 2020 class hit Florida pretty hard. Only problem is those kids probably didn't know that Lincoln sucks and it gets cold af up here. The lack of recruiting in California and Texas is due to Frost's incompetence. Both states have a ton of players that don't get picked up by more relevant schools. Nebraska is in the gutter now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back