Score Early, Score Often

What is it about scoring quickly that precludes us from converting 3rd downs?

Absolutely nothing. BOTH go hand in hand. If you complete a higher percentage of 3rd down plays, and red zone plays, you will score more. Completing them in the first half takes a lot of pressure off the team for the second half and allows more players to get reps. The more reps the better the team, as a whole, becomes

Advertisement

Take Army, for example. They are always near the top in 3rd down conversions. They pound the ball, eating up clock and getting 4 yards a play. This gives them more 3rd down attempts, and more conversions. We are more likely to score quickly on a 40+ yard pass, or run, eliminating long drives. Long as in amount of plays it takes to get down the field. Also, we are less likely to see as many third downs, because we will often get a first down ON first down, or second down. Basically, what takes Army 12 plays to accomplish, we can do in 4.

Teams that run the ball a LOT are always at the top of the third down conversion list. Also at the top in time of possession. I don't want us to be like them, but I do want us to convert more 3rd downs to keep drives alive. We should never be 129th, unless we are leading the country in 2 play TD drives by a very large margin.

If you score on first and second downs, you don't have a 3rd down to convert. If you score from 50 yards out, you have fewer 3rd downs attempts on a drive.

3rd down % is another story.

If you score on first and second downs, you don't have a 3rd down to convert. If you score from 50 yards out, you have fewer 3rd downs attempts on a drive.

3rd down % is another story.

That's my point. Number of attempts is not the issue, it's the conversion rate that hurts.

Advertisement
That's my point. Number of attempts is not the issue, it's the conversion rate that hurts.
Even rate wise, we're bound to be lower than a team like Army, who is more likely to see more 3rd and shorts than us. However, it is still a HUGE problem that we aren't converting at a higher rate, and more than 3.6 times a game. That's just brutal. If we're going to keep that up, we're going to have to hit our deep passes and score more often. Otherwise we'll never get where we want to be. Our O is designed to hit those plays, and we aren't doing it with enough regularity to ease the 3rd down pain. I don't think we will with Rosier at QB, either.

Even rate wise, we're bound to be lower than a team like Army, who is more likely to see more 3rd and shorts than us. However, it is still a HUGE problem that we aren't converting at a higher rate, and more than 3.6 times a game. That's just brutal. If we're going to keep that up, we're going to have to hit our deep passes and score more often. Otherwise we'll never get where we want to be. Our O is designed to hit those plays, and we aren't doing it with enough regularity to ease the 3rd down pain. I don't think we will with Rosier at QB, either.
Until we can consistently gain 3 or 4 yards running the ball on first down, we're going to be terrible on 3rd down. That's just the way it is. 3rd down conversion percentages trend exactly with 3rd down distance to gain. Teams that are good on 3rd down are consistently in 3rd and 3 or less, and teams that struggle are consistently in 3rd and 5 or more. I think we averaged 7 yards to gain on 3rd down.

Not to turn this into another Rosier thread, but as bad is he was, how little does CMR have to trust the run game to keep calling for those little bubbles and swing passes on 1st downs? I'm really hoping that we get more consistent run blocking with the addition of a true full back and some seasoning along the line, that way if Rosier is the starter, we don't have to sit through him having to throw the ball 50 times against sub .500 scrub teams. When you have a QB like Malik, you should have a goal of limiting him to around 25 or 30 passes per game.

Backups, generally speaking, need reps to improve, do they not? That was a huge problem last year.

They do but not sure if that really would have made a difference last year. The backup last year is no longer here for a reason.

Advertisement
They do but not sure if that really would have made a difference last year. The backup last year is no longer here for a reason.
You know, I can name you a lot of QBs who performed poorly their first 10 snaps. FSU fans were ready to run Charlie Ward out of town, for crying out loud. Ken Dorsey looked like a deer in headlights until he got all the first string reps and game time. Not saying Shirreffs is either one of them, but to act like you know everything about a QB from 7 passes is a bit foolish. Perhaps had he gotten into games that should have been blowouts, he'd have been better prepared when he was needed.

But yeah, he didn't look ready when he came in, but that's my point. More reps help, especially for QBs.

You know, I can name you a lot of QBs who performed poorly their first 10 snaps. FSU fans were ready to run Charlie Ward out of town, for crying out loud. Ken Dorsey looked like a deer in headlights until he got all the first string reps and game time. Not saying Shirreffs is either one of them, but to act like you know everything about a QB from 7 passes is a bit foolish. Perhaps had he gotten into games that should have been blowouts, he'd have been better prepared when he was needed.

But yeah, he didn't look ready when he came in, but that's my point. More reps help, especially for QBs.

I guess we will never know about Sherriff’s potential because he didn’t stick around. At least those guys you mentioned did. Sheriff himself apparently did not think he could beat the incumbent out so it is hard to say more game reps would have made a difference.

I guess we will never know about Sherriff’s potential because he didn’t stick around. At least those guys you mentioned did. Sheriff himself apparently did not think he could beat the incumbent out so it is hard to say more game reps would have made a difference.
Yep, we'll never know. He did what he thought was best for himself. One thing is for sure, the only team in the country worse at converting 3rd downs is the team he went to. He'll have a **** of a task trying to do anything worth a crap there.

Advertisement
One of the more frustrating things about Richts playcalling is he seems to be able to dial up just the right plays when we need a score, and you're like why can't he do that every drive.

That last drive against FSU was perfection. Granted Homer and Berrios (and of course Langham) made some spectacular plays, but the playvalling was a big part of it also. I still watch that drive at least once a month.

This is Gold 😂😂😂

Advertisement
It’s the same deal in the redzone. I felt more sure of a touchdown from the 30 yard line then the 5 yard line

Our redzone issues have gone beyond comical right to tragic. I'm actually not sure getting a 15 yard penalty on 1st and goal is a bad thing.

Hmmmm....So just score early and often
you-dont-say (1).gif

ok

Advertisement
Back