Score Early, Score Often

D

deleted18246

The key to not only a successful season, but our resurgence as a premier team as well, is our need to score early and often. When we run up the score in the first half, we have an opportunity to give subs as much playing time as possible. No amount of practice is as valuable as real game experience.

My feeling is that Rosier, a come from behind guy, isn't equipped to help this cause.

Advertisement
Pickle,

Sorry, but you totally missed the point. Of course EVERYONE knows this. The point was "don't let your come from behind guy blow your chances"....make the move faster.

Pickle,

Sorry, but you totally missed the point. Of course EVERYONE knows this. The point was "don't let your come from behind guy blow your chances"....make the move faster.

Cool. Is Aaron Rodgers available in free agency?

Advertisement
Yep. A good QB will make this happen. There were a LOT of games last year where our backups couldn't get in because Rosier couldn't put teams away. It was frustrating.

I can't even remember the last time we consistently had our backups in games. 2002? Now all of a sudden we have our best season since then and people complain about not getting the backups in sooner. Amazing.

Even our best teams seemed to come out during the 4th qtr.

Advertisement
One of the more frustrating things about Richts playcalling is he seems to be able to dial up just the right plays when we need a score, and you're like why can't he do that every drive.

That last drive against FSU was perfection. Granted Homer and Berrios (and of course Langham) made some spectacular plays, but the playvalling was a big part of it also. I still watch that drive at least once a month.

image.gif

We have to be more efficient in the redzone scoring TD's and convert more on third downs
If we improve in those areas no one will stop us on our schedule.

Advertisement
We have to be more efficient in the redzone scoring TD's and convert more on third downs
If we improve in those areas no one will stop us on our schedule.
Man, I've been pounding the 3rd down issue for years, but last year it hit rock bottom. 3.6 3rd down conversions a game. That number boggles the mind. 129 out of 130 teams. I get we are a quick strike O, and we're never going to rank in the top 10 in conversions because of it, but even if we get into the top 50 with our O, that'll be good enough for our D to get more rest, and inevitably more points on the board for us, and less for the teams we play. We NEED that number to go up, or we'll have no chance at an ACC title, or playoffs. That number stays low and we'll start losing some of those nail biters, guaranteed.

The key to not only a successful season, but our resurgence as a premier team as well, is our need to score early and often. When we run up the score in the first half, we have an opportunity to give subs as much playing time as possible. No amount of practice is as valuable as real game experience.

My feeling is that Rosier, a come from behind guy, isn't equipped to help this cause.
I agree in that your premise is that it gives more players valuable game time experience.

Advertisement
Yep. A good QB will make this happen. There were a LOT of games last year where our backups couldn't get in because Rosier couldn't put teams away. It was frustrating.

But then again, we saw our backups :eek:

One of the more frustrating things about Richts playcalling is he seems to be able to dial up just the right plays when we need a score, and you're like why can't he do that every drive.

That last drive against FSU was perfection. Granted Homer and Berrios (and of course Langham) made some spectacular plays, but the playvalling was a big part of it also. I still watch that drive at least once a month.

Now our complaints are why can't he score every drive?

Man, I've been pounding the 3rd down issue for years, but last year it hit rock bottom. 3.6 3rd down conversions a game. That number boggles the mind. 129 out of 130 teams. I get we are a quick strike O, and we're never going to rank in the top 10 in conversions because of it, but even if we get into the top 50 with our O, that'll be good enough for our D to get more rest, and inevitably more points on the board for us, and less for the teams we play. We NEED that number to go up, or we'll have no chance at an ACC title, or playoffs. That number stays low and we'll start losing some of those nail biters, guaranteed.

What is it about scoring quickly that precludes us from converting 3rd downs?

Advertisement
Back