Off-Topic Science or the lack thereof

Advertisement
Here's a perfect example of bad science. They found a correlation between air pollution and fat women. Of course it's the pollution, not meal choices or lack of exercise.

Kind of a goofy study I guess, but I think it's a better example of bad science reporting than bad science. Outlets for mass media consumption like NYP, Daily Mail, etc. write digest articles about studies in a way that drives clicks, and here the findings of the study - which were really quite limited and only wanted to see if specifically for women over 50 the level of air pollution had a positive correlation with obesity, all other things being equal - is turned into "air pollution is making women fat." But this requires clicking through to a press release about the study in order to find out. These outlets know, in fact they count on, the fact that 99.9% of people will not do this and probably wouldn't know how to read a scientific study even if they did.

FWIW, I don't even think the thesis is that ridiculous, though to your point there are much more obvious immediate causes We've long known the chemicals they've been pumping into the water and our food for decades have negative effects on our endocrine system. Why not what we breathe too?

Advertisement
Ultra is low carb though, its what I typically drink. If I drink something else its a 'real' beer like a Stout or Porter - Miller Lite is no more a beer than Mich Ultra.

Guess if you drink a 12 pack of Ultras .6 less grams of carbs add up

I didn't say real beer or not

Ultra is watered down unlike Miller Lite so tastes are different

Advertisement
Because the last thing I'm concerned about when I'm having a heart attack, stroke, or just gotten a cancer diagnosis is the impact the treatment will have on the environment or non-human animals. Science is dead.

Advertisement
Imagine the wide array of scientific papers one could write from a purely DEI perspective.

Advertisement
Elisabeth Bik sounds like a powerhouse. I wonder to what extent she is using optical character recognition to assist in identifying doctored images.
She doesn't say anything about OCR. Prior to AI, I'd say she had a bunch of students going through images for credit.

The present study attempted to empirically determine the prevalence of one type of problematic data, inappropriate image duplication, by visual inspection of electrophoretic, microscopic, and flow cytometric data from more than 20,000 recent papers in 40 primary research journals.

Science is now like Federal Agencies.

They seek out items or condition to investigate - to justify their existence.

If it's already out there - though stupid - they'll dig into it with an eye toward gaining more funding, which is stupid.

If it's NOT already out there - they'll create a condition to justify their existence - to gain more funding, which is stupid.

Advertisement
Back