Scholarship numbers for '18

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so **** it.

Here's a look at our non-senior scholarship breakdown.

Quarterback (4)
Rosier
Shireffs
Perry
Weldon

Runningback (4)
Walton
Homer
Gray
Burns

Wide Receiver (9)
Richards
Cager
Langham
Thomas
Harley
Dallas
Mullins
Njoku
Harris

Tight End (3)
Irvin II
Polendey
Patchan (Could move back to DE next year)

Offensive Tackle (7)
St. Louis
Herbert
Hillery
Dykstra
Brown
Johnson
Jones

Guard (3)
Donaldson
Milo
Mahoney

Center (2)
Gauthier
Gaynor

Defensive End (4)
J. Jackson
D. Jackson
Garvin
Johnson

Defensive Tackle (7)
Norton
McIntosh
Bethel
Ford
Willis
Martin
Fines

Inside Linebacker (4)
Quarterman
Smith
Jennings
Gordinier

Outside Linebacker (7)
Pinckney
McCloud
Owens
Perry
Wilder
Steed
McCray

Cornerback (4)
Young
Bandy
Dean
Jackson

Safety (6)
Johnson
Redwine
Knowles
Finley
Carter
Smith

Specials (2)
Feagles (P)
Butler (LS)

That puts us at 66 scholarships.

We currently have 19 commits:

QB (1) - Sitkowski
RB (2) - Lingard, Davis
WR (3) - Pope, Hightower, Wiggins
TE (2) - Jordan, Mallory
OT (1) - Campbell
G (1) - Reed
C (1) - Scaife
DE (1) - Rousseau
DT (1) - Silvera
CB (2) - Blades, Ivey
S (3) - Jobe, Frierson, Hall
K (1) - Baxa

That puts us exactly at 85, but I'm assuming the plan isn't to take 19.

I don't know who all of our remaining key targets are, but I know at the very minimum it's Tyson Campbell, Dennis Briggs, and Patrick Joyner. [MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] and others can chime in here.

That means at least 3 spots will have to be opened up. Mark Walton is almost assuredly leaving after this year, so that's 1. Norton and McIntosh are possibilities, although another year of development under Kool would serve them well. For the purposes of this thread, I'll take the homer stance and project they're staying.

Other guys could be "asked" to move on. These are 4th-year Juniors who haven't played much.

Top Future Endeavor candidates
Terry McCray -- Has he taken any snaps on defense?
Choc Gray -- With Lingard and Davis coming in, he might look for playing time elsewhere as a grad transfer
Jahair Jones -- He might stick for depth purposes, but he's another grad transfer candidate

Barring other guys leaving early or transferring/quitting on their own, it looks like we won't take more than 23 this year.

Edit: but there are definitely places where we can make room for big fish, e.g. Gordinier (blew out ACLs in back-to-back seasons).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Assuming the classifications are right (some of these guys seem they have been here forever), I would say after juniors who declare, we probably see another 3-4 guys from the current roster drop. To me, these are the best candidates based on positional depth and their lack of showing an ability to do anything: Jones, Milo, Langham OR Harris, McCray, Knowles OR Finley.

In terms of Gray, in watching the Vilma OTH UM/FSU review, I wonder what he would be like in a Davenport/DJ Williams FB role (granted different offense) Several times they were sent out in patterns. and to me seemed like that could fit his skill set and right now we really lack anyone who can do that (don't recall seeing Herndon in the H-Back role much this year)

Not sure if it's only for this year or permanently but RB Chris Atkins is on scholarship this season

Transfers: Shireffs or Rosier, Trayone Gray, Darrell Langham, Dayall Harris, Jahair Jones, George Brown Jr, Hayden Mahoney, Bar Milo, Terry McCray, Jamie Gordinier, Michael Jackson, Robert Knowles, Romeo Finley.

Mark Walton will declare for the draft, but he seems like the only Junior that will imo.

So that brings the total to 14. Do I expect ALL of these guys to leave? No. But I'd say around 8-10 is pretty likely. Regardless, I expect this class to be around 26 or 27. The 2019 class will be under 20.

Advertisement
We're shooting for 28. 23 will happen only if we miss on a ton of targets and don't want to take plan c kids.

We have 74 kids on schollie. 9 seniors. That will leave us with 65 returning. We'll have up to 9 attrition, which will leave us with 56 returning. That means we'll have room for 29 but I think the limit is actually 28 due to scholarship counter limits that were previously explained on here.

So 28 is the target.

Attrition targets include shireffs, walton, langham, gray, norton, willis, mcintosh, mccray, and knowles. There are also jag ol that could be let go but depth is ultra thin there - I think we're keeping them at least until those 2018 boys prove themselves. A kid like patchan could transfer if he wants more playing time but I'd try my best to keep him. We only return 4 DE next year without him, plus whatever 2018 kids we get.

Here's how it always works: If we can sign a recruit that we think is better than one of the guys clinging to his scholarship by his fingernails, then the marginal guy will get processed. Pretty simple.

Advertisement
Attrition targets include shireffs, walton, langham, gray, norton, willis, mcintosh, mccray, and knowles. There are also jag ol that could be let go but depth is ultra thin there - I think we're keeping them at least until those 2018 boys prove themselves. A kid like patchan could transfer if he wants more playing time but I'd try my best to keep him. We only return 4 DE next year without him, plus whatever 2018 kids we get.

Patchan has already sat out 2 years with injuries. He's not sitting out another just to transfer. He'll definitely play a lot next year at DE

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back