Scholarship Limits

Advertisement
I mean, technically there's always a cap. It's called "roster size".

But, yeah, I'd like to see baseball go from an "equivalency" scholarship sport to a "head count" scholarship sport. I've been advocating this change for years.

Advertisement
Not that we have an issue with recruiting, but this will help not hurt us.
Not sure if your statement is sarcasm or not. We have a big recruiting disadvantage with the current system.

Most players get about 1/3 to 2/3 of a scholarship. Miami’s tuition is much more than most other schools, especially public schools and a number of players can’t afford to attend Miami paying 2/3 of the tuition.

The changes being proposed should be helpful to UM, but college sports is about to get expensive for schools and create wider gaps between haves and have nots, it looks like.

Not sure if your statement is sarcasm or not. We have a big recruiting disadvantage with the current system.

Most players get about 1/3 to 2/3 of a scholarship. Miami’s tuition is much more than most other schools, especially public schools and a number of players can’t afford to attend Miami paying 2/3 of the tuition.

The changes being proposed should be helpful to UM, but college sports is about to get expensive for schools and create wider gaps between haves and have nots, it looks like.

Yep.

Just need to raise the money to endow 20 more scholarships.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I just worded it poorly. My point was in line with what you said, albeit I was clumsy and you were on point.

Considering the fewer rounds in the MLB draft and the far fewer minor league teams, this could also benefit MLB by using college baseball as a de facto minor league system. College baseball wins because the talent pool increases (especially considering the NIL factor) and MLB saves money by letting colleges develop more players for them like it is in NCAA football. I don’t think MLB teams really like drafting kids out of high school if they don’t have to.

Advertisement
Considering the fewer rounds in the MLB draft and the far fewer minor league teams, this could also benefit MLB by using college baseball as a de facto minor league system. College baseball wins because the talent pool increases (especially considering the NIL factor) and MLB saves money by letting colleges develop more players for them like it is in NCAA football. I don’t think MLB teams really like drafting kids out of high school if they don’t have to.
Spot on. I was thinking the same. You would imagine the MLB and the Players Union would be lobbying for this to get done as well. They gotta be getting tired of hearing how the don’t pay minor leaguers a livable salary. Might as well have them develop on someone else’s dime and get rid of part of that headache.

Wonder if a couple of MLB owners get in on the NIL deal.... then it would be another version of the farm system indirectly

They have already eliminated some lower level minor league teams. I can see more being eliminated as the draft goes more reliant on college players.

college baseball is going to end up as a 25 scholarship sport. and it's going to be a big boost to programs like Miami, especially with NIL.

the top kids will still go to the minors from HS, but a college staff's understanding of the likelihood of a kid coming to school vs signing will become much more predictable.

Advertisement
college baseball is going to end up as a 25 scholarship sport. and it's going to be a big boost to programs like Miami, especially with NIL.

the top kids will still go to the minors from HS, but a college staff's understanding of the likelihood of a kid coming to school vs signing will become much more predictable.
I can’t imagine the damage Miami could do with 25 scholarships. All those FSU and Gator commits that went because of the cheap in-state tuition would definitely look hard at playing for Miami.

Head count. Either 27 or 32 scholarships. Make it so.

NCAA Division I baseball programs will continue to be impacted by special NCAA rulings regarding their roster size and scholarship rules for the 2021-22 academic year in a somewhat similar manner to the way they were impacted during this season.

• There will be a 40-man limit on roster size for Division I programs during the 2022 baseball season.
  • Up to 32 student-athletes will be allowed to receive a baseball scholarship – an increase from the normal limit of 27 in Division I.
  • Coaches will be allowed to renegotiate scholarships to provide less than 25% for 2021-22 with conditions in place for the following year or years of an athlete’s attendance.

Head count. Either 27 or 32 scholarships. Make it so.

NCAA Division I baseball programs will continue to be impacted by special NCAA rulings regarding their roster size and scholarship rules for the 2021-22 academic year in a somewhat similar manner to the way they were impacted during this season.

• There will be a 40-man limit on roster size for Division I programs during the 2022 baseball season.
  • Up to 32 student-athletes will be allowed to receive a baseball scholarship – an increase from the normal limit of 27 in Division I.
  • Coaches will be allowed to renegotiate scholarships to provide less than 25% for 2021-22 with conditions in place for the following year or years of an athlete’s attendance.
Another issue is Title IX. If the scholarship limit is raised, that’s also got to be reflected in the women’s sports programs. That will make the entire athletic program more expensive and force lesser programs to drop sports.

Advertisement

We had the number one recruiting class. It’s not as big of a disadvantage as people want us to believe.

Another issue is Title IX. If the scholarship limit is raised, that’s also got to be reflected in the women’s sports programs. That will make the entire athletic program more expensive and force lesser programs to drop sports.
This is the old school understanding of the rule. There are multiple paths to compliance these days.

You're not wrong. But let me just say this.

Football (85 scholarships) has no female counterpart. Men's/Women's basketball are headcount sports that are equivalent.

EVERYTHING ELSE is an equivalency sport.

Currently, women's softball (IF WE HAD IT) allows for more equivalency scholarships than baseball does. However, if you got to headcount, you have a rough equivalency between the sports.

As for the scholarships themselves, the key is to endow them. UM has long had the "Living Scholars" program (not sure if it still has the same name now). One of my roommates at UM was a diver, he would go out to one of the football halftimes to meet his "Living Scholar" donor, shake hands, and acknowledge the contribution in front of tens of thousands of people.

Each endowed scholarship requires a donation that exceeds $1 million. So, yeah, do the math, if we have the money "now" for 11.7 baseball scholarships, and we "need" to fund 32, that's between $20 million and $40 million to raise.

Yes. We need to raise more money if the NCAA changes the rules. Understood.

You're not wrong. But let me just say this.

Football (85 scholarships) has no female counterpart. Men's/Women's basketball are headcount sports that are equivalent.

EVERYTHING ELSE is an equivalency sport.

Currently, women's softball (IF WE HAD IT) allows for more equivalency scholarships than baseball does. However, if you got to headcount, you have a rough equivalency between the sports.

As for the scholarships themselves, the key is to endow them. UM has long had the "Living Scholars" program (not sure if it still has the same name now). One of my roommates at UM was a diver, he would go out to one of the football halftimes to meet his "Living Scholar" donor, shake hands, and acknowledge the contribution in front of tens of thousands of people.

Each endowed scholarship requires a donation that exceeds $1 million. So, yeah, do the math, if we have the money "now" for 11.7 baseball scholarships, and we "need" to fund 32, that's between $20 million and $40 million to raise.

Yes. We need to raise more money if the NCAA changes the rules. Understood.

here's some insider info for you.

if baseball does expand, and UM needs a Title IX match, pay close attention to what happens around the conversation with respect the creation of a varsity women's lacrosse program

Advertisement
Back