scheme

4-2 Cover 3.....easiest scheme in the world. Especially if you use Saban's "Rip/Liz" rules. Make it super easy for the kids to understand.

Advertisement
Your scheme should always reflect your primary recruiting ground

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread
2. 4-3 defense with a lot of Quarters and Man coverage.

Coach, I believe that our recruiting ground gives us a huge advantage on defensive side of the ball in a 4-3 based on speed and aggression compared to everyone else.

On the other hand, our comparative advantage in an uptempo offense is much less--given it is designed to be effective with much less talent.

Wouldn't an offense that put its own defense pack on the field more often, like an uptempo, reduce our defensive advantage. Also, to be uptempo, don't you have to practice a ton of reps in practice? Seems to me that defense needs more teaching time than an uptempo practice allows.

Should we treat these things like they exist in a vacuum independent of each other? If, by doing what is best for our greatest relative strength, a fast aggressive defense, we create a relative advantage over most other team, should that be the approach. I think being able to defend the uptempo offense with old school Cane base defense using speed and penetration without need for lots of substitution is a bigger advantage than merely being another uptempo offense with an exhausted defense.

Please do not merely say the two do not effect each other. Watch too much Dolphin football to prefer Dan Marino, if he only had a defense, fast strike offense to Bob Griese, a perfect game is one where I do not need to throw a pass, 15 play TD drives that allow 10 white dudes to start on defense that set records until Ray Lewis broke them. I take Bob and the No Names every day. Dan was a useless QB -- except for exciting that he was best ever at. Fouts the same thing.

All the uptempo fans will rain on me now, but you seem to know what you are doing. Be honest, would you rather be able to stop and uptempo spread and be stuck with more boring offense or run amuck on offense trying to have the ball last?

Why can't we run an up-tempo offense and have a good defense at the same time?

Doesn't seem to ever happen. I think playing defense is more work, so if the defense is back on the field faster from quick scores or failed drives it just gets tired. Ever chase a QB? It is exhausting. Granted that uptempo wears out the other defense when it works well. Let me ask you, if you had a choice of having a uptempo offense OR a defense that can stop uptempo offenses, which do you think would give a team a bigger advantage?

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread

Coach, I believe that our recruiting ground gives us a huge advantage on defensive side of the ball in a 4-3 based on speed and aggression compared to everyone else.

On the other hand, our comparative advantage in an uptempo offense is much less--given it is designed to be effective with much less talent.

Wouldn't an offense that put its own defense pack on the field more often, like an uptempo, reduce our defensive advantage. Also, to be uptempo, don't you have to practice a ton of reps in practice? Seems to me that defense needs more teaching time than an uptempo practice allows.

Should we treat these things like they exist in a vacuum independent of each other? If, by doing what is best for our greatest relative strength, a fast aggressive defense, we create a relative advantage over most other team, should that be the approach. I think being able to defend the uptempo offense with old school Cane base defense using speed and penetration without need for lots of substitution is a bigger advantage than merely being another uptempo offense with an exhausted defense.

Please do not merely say the two do not effect each other. Watch too much Dolphin football to prefer Dan Marino, if he only had a defense, fast strike offense to Bob Griese, a perfect game is one where I do not need to throw a pass, 15 play TD drives that allow 10 white dudes to start on defense that set records until Ray Lewis broke them. I take Bob and the No Names every day. Dan was a useless QB -- except for exciting that he was best ever at. Fouts the same thing.

All the uptempo fans will rain on me now, but you seem to know what you are doing. Be honest, would you rather be able to stop and uptempo spread and be stuck with more boring offense or run amuck on offense trying to have the ball last?

Doesn't seem to ever happen. I think playing defense is more work, so if the defense is back on the field faster from quick scores or failed drives it just gets tired. Ever chase a QB? It is exhausting. Granted that uptempo wears out the other defense when it works well. Let me ask you, if you had a choice of having a uptempo offense OR a defense that can stop uptempo offenses, which do you think would give a team a bigger advantage?

The defense only gets tired if the (up-tempo) offense can't convert 3rd downs.

The advantages of going up-tempo are...

1. Doesn't allow the defense to substitute
2. Makes the defense tired
3. Forces defense to identify formations and get lined up faster
4. Allows the offense to run more plays (more plays = more chances to score)

I like tempo because I know what it does to me as a Defensive Coordinator. It forces me to utilize more versatile defenders and it also forces me to get my calls in quicker.

Our old defenses could've stopped up-tempo offenses because we had versatile defenders. We had "undersized" LB's who could stay on the field from 1st down to 3rd down. They were physical enough to stop the run on 1st/2nd down and fast enough to play the pass on 3rd. We didn't have to utilize sub packages. That's the key to stopping tempo offenses. That's why Saban hates tempo because it doesn't give him a chance to get his fat a$$ D-linemen off the field.

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread

The defense only gets tired if the (up-tempo) offense can't convert 3rd downs.

The advantages of going up-tempo are...

1. Doesn't allow the defense to substitute
2. Makes the defense tired
3. Forces defense to identify formations and get lined up faster
4. Allows the offense to run more plays (more plays = more chances to score)

I like tempo because I know what it does to me as a Defensive Coordinator. It forces me to utilize more versatile defenders and it also forces me to get my calls in quicker.

Our old defenses could've stopped up-tempo offenses because we had versatile defenders. We had "undersized" LB's who could stay on the field from 1st down to 3rd down. They were physical enough to stop the run on 1st/2nd down and fast enough to play the pass on 3rd. We didn't have to utilize sub packages. That's the key to stopping tempo offenses. That's why Saban hates tempo because it doesn't give him a chance to get his fat a$$ D-linemen off the field.

Thank you. That is what I have thought and said. Our old defenses would fair very well if not dominate today's uptempo for the exact reasons you gave. I am fine with us using uptempo as long as it does not damage our defense. My concern is that if we get an uptempo coach who thinks only that works, he will allow our defense to suffer for the sake of his ego -- like Al the other way.

Advertisement
I don't even think it's beneficial to run up-tempo against every team. It's only beneficial when you're facing a defense that uses sub packages.

If you're playing against a 4-2-5 team then I don't see the point. Trying to run up-tempo against the old Miami defenses would've got you nowhere. The same defenders stay on the field the whole drive anyway.

Tempo kills Golden/D'Onofrio's defense because we sub 11 players every down. We look like a Chinese fire drill any time we play a tempo offense.

Advertisement
Back