scheme

dcornelius

Redshirt Freshman
If you were the new coach coming in, looking the current um roster what scheme would be the best fit. Offensively and defensively.

Advertisement
3-4 or 4-3 attacking defense. Need to disguise coverages. We do none of that. We are so predictable. No more rotating players. Keep starters on field.

On offense, hurry up with TE's more involved. Some screen plays and roll the pocket.

Offense: Spread O!! Don't mind pro style but we haven't been able to dominate up front in over a decade, thats a problem with pro style O. Even out of the spread O, I'd like to see a balanced running attack to set up PA pass since we usually bring in great RBs. Interested to see what a dual threat QB could do with So Fla speed as well.

Defense: Not much preference. 4-3 is what most Canes fans want but 3-4 works just fine (if you use it correctly). More importantly, we need to attack and get away from this read and react. On the off chance Rich Rod comes here, he's leaving the 3-3-5 stack in Arizona, though.

Good part is, Butch has been all over the country, watching practices, games, talking to Head Coaches, Coordinators, and position coaches, getting a real good feel for everyone and everything successful in college football.

I'd imagine just like Butch's previous practice, we'll rely on quickness, speed, and power (not strength) with Coordinators and position coaches that will excel at whatever scheme, modified or otherwise, he decides to pursue, by again getting the very best athletes available. Three deep.

Advertisement
Thats the thing. The coach has the make guys into players they didn't even see themselves, and in a good way. Not I'm going to fat up everybody and make them slow way.

Advertisement
Your scheme should always reflect your primary recruiting ground

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread
2. 4-3 defense with a lot of Quarters and Man coverage.

4-2-5 on D. We have little LB depth, so the base alignment will basically be "nickel".

I would like the Spread on "O", but with Kayaa we would be limited with this approach, cause he can't run (No zone read). With the talent on our team, at the present (QB, WR, and our committed RB's, QB) it makes sense to be in a Pro style system.

4-2-5 on D. We have little LB depth, so the base alignment will basically be "nickel".

I would like the Spread on "O", but with Kayaa we would be limited with this approach, cause he can't run (No zone read). With the talent on our team, at the present (QB, WR, and our committed RB's, QB) it makes sense to be in a Pro style system.

Pro-Style offense with no threat at TE and a ****-poor O-line? No thanks.

I'd rather have Coley, Scott and Waters on the field together at the same time with Njoku at H-Back/TE.

me personally, i am old school i would love for us to ground and pound, but we are limited due to our O-line, On defense i would love an attacking 4-3, due lack of depth at LB

Advertisement

I'd rather have Coley, Scott and Waters on the field together at the same time with Njoku at H-Back/TE.

Njoku is the best threat at TE in all of the NCAA.

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread

Coach, I believe that our recruiting ground gives us a huge advantage on defensive side of the ball in a 4-3 based on speed and aggression compared to everyone else.

On the other hand, our comparative advantage in an uptempo offense is much less--given it is designed to be effective with much less talent.

Wouldn't an offense that put its own defense pack on the field more often, like an uptempo, reduce our defensive advantage. Also, to be uptempo, don't you have to practice a ton of reps in practice? Seems to me that defense needs more teaching time than an uptempo practice allows.

Should we treat these things like they exist in a vacuum independent of each other? If, by doing what is best for our greatest relative strength, a fast aggressive defense, we create a relative advantage over most other team, should that be the approach. I think being able to defend the uptempo offense with old school Cane base defense using speed and penetration without need for lots of substitution is a bigger advantage than merely being another uptempo offense with an exhausted defense.

Please do not merely say the two do not effect each other. Watch too much Dolphin football to prefer Dan Marino, if he only had a defense, fast strike offense to Bob Griese, a perfect game is one where I do not need to throw a pass, 15 play TD drives that allow 10 white dudes to start on defense that set records until Ray Lewis broke them. I take Bob and the No Names every day. Dan was a useless QB -- except for exciting that he was best ever at. Fouts the same thing.

All the uptempo fans will rain on me now, but you seem to know what you are doing. Be honest, would you rather be able to stop and uptempo spread and be stuck with more boring offense or run amuck on offense trying to have the ball last?

Advertisement

Njoku is the best threat at TE in all of the NCAA.

As a pass catcher, sure, but can he block a 255-285 pound DE when it's time to run the ball out of the Pro-Style offense?

He looks a little light in the a$$ to me.

With that said...

1. Up-tempo spread

Coach, I believe that our recruiting ground gives us a huge advantage on defensive side of the ball in a 4-3 based on speed and aggression compared to everyone else.

On the other hand, our comparative advantage in an uptempo offense is much less--given it is designed to be effective with much less talent.

Wouldn't an offense that put its own defense pack on the field more often, like an uptempo, reduce our defensive advantage. Also, to be uptempo, don't you have to practice a ton of reps in practice? Seems to me that defense needs more teaching time than an uptempo practice allows.

Should we treat these things like they exist in a vacuum independent of each other? If, by doing what is best for our greatest relative strength, a fast aggressive defense, we create a relative advantage over most other team, should that be the approach. I think being able to defend the uptempo offense with old school Cane base defense using speed and penetration without need for lots of substitution is a bigger advantage than merely being another uptempo offense with an exhausted defense.

Please do not merely say the two do not effect each other. Watch too much Dolphin football to prefer Dan Marino, if he only had a defense, fast strike offense to Bob Griese, a perfect game is one where I do not need to throw a pass, 15 play TD drives that allow 10 white dudes to start on defense that set records until Ray Lewis broke them. I take Bob and the No Names every day. Dan was a useless QB -- except for exciting that he was best ever at. Fouts the same thing.

All the uptempo fans will rain on me now, but you seem to know what you are doing. Be honest, would you rather be able to stop and uptempo spread and be stuck with more boring offense or run amuck on offense trying to have the ball last?

Why can't we run an up-tempo offense and have a good defense at the same time?

Advertisement
Back