SB Nation Article: NCAA Recruiting Investigation into Ole Miss

Canes Inside

Recruit
"..according to a filing obtained by SB Nation, lawyers arguing on behalf of a former Ole Miss coach wanted to introduce a sworn affidavit from Armani Linton , an Ole Miss player and friend of Lewis’, who said Lewis told him that Dan Mullen himself had met with Lewis to discuss what he would talk to the NCAA about..."

Long read, but the reporter does a great job of lifting the carpet on whats really going on in CFB recruiting, the slime that is the NCAA, and what happens as a player when you decide to talk with them.

Also has included the interesting note above about the turds new HC.

Inside the NCAA’s years-long, twisting investigation into Mississippi football

Advertisement
Read it earlier, a very good read. I also took note of the Mullen stuff because that was new information to me and it does not look good on him at all. Encouraging a player to lie to the NCAA about a rival school to get them in trouble, when your own program was doing the same. Now he is named in that lawsuit. Will likely end up being swept under the rug, but could potentially be disastrous for his career.

Doubt this goes anywhere with regards to mullet, it'll magically turn out something minor happened and had nothing to do with him.

Read it earlier, a very good read. I also took note of the Mullen stuff because that was new information to me and it does not look good on him at all. Encouraging a player to lie to the NCAA about a rival school to get them in trouble, when your own program was doing the same. Now he is named in that lawsuit. Will likely end up being swept under the rug, but could potentially be disastrous for his career.

I think you’re right, though who knows how it turns out.

Still, having your name (Mullet) mentioned in a somewhat prominent way and connected in any way at all to the entire sordid affair is not something the UF program wants to deal with. There will be questions asked at some point, even it it’s blown off.

If it was me, I would bring it up to create uncertainty about his ethics and moral foundation. Like they say, “all’s fair in love and recruiting...”

Advertisement

Certainly a long shot, but I can't think of a much better storyline for us than Mullen being fired at some point during the season.

Then again, maybe the better scenario for us is him having a very long career at UF.

Fantastic read. Having the NCAA is a little like you and a bunch of friends like to play Madden, but sometimes all of you cheat. You're sick of everyone else cheating (but happy to continue doing it yourself), so collectively you hire a bully to beat the crap out of you if you get caught cheating. But half the time the bully doesn't do his job, and even if he does, the punishment he doles out is basically at his whim with zero consistency or standards. Also, you can rape anyone you want and he doesn't care about that at all.

More importantly, there's a whole lot of detail here, and I have to think someone keeps digging. Mullen being named in the lawsuit (especially if he's subpoenaed and has to testify under oath) could get really, really fun. There also may be a legitimate legal argument for Lewis to sue Mullen if Rebel Rags' suit is successful against Lewis (and therefore likely Mullen). A little dubious but plausible.

Does CIS have a resident legal expert? I feel like you need one for stuff like this.

Advertisement
Diaz , Banda, and Parks ain’t named in the suit

Minimal potential ramifications against Diaz or Banda. Allegations against Mullen are weak until Lewis' outright says he was convinced by Mullen to testify against Ole Miss, OR Lewis' buddy provides sworn testimony Mullen coached him to do it. Without Diaz or Banda being named in the suit, and with the NCAA case closed, I can't envision them being touchable at this point. But hey the NCAA listened to Nevin Shapiro and viewed his statements as legally corroborated when he said the same thing twice, so anything is possible with these clowns.

just finished reading it and it was some fine reading.

the NCAA can take Lewis at his word whether it's the truth or a lie and there's no threat of ramifications to anyone involved.

Once this thing hits the REAL courts with REAL investigators with REAL ramifications for lying under oath there's no telling what and where this this might go and what REAL dirt gets uncovered.

I sure hope the Rebel Rags suit goes to trial cause I can't wait to see some of the SEC get their dirty laundry aired in public.

gonna get good.

Mullet should have the bubbleguts. These are different times with “me too” and all that. I’m sure everyone thought nothing would happen to Cosby or Weinstein or the people around the president who went down.

Allegations aren’t being ignored because of the public disaster that can happen to the person or entity choosing to ignore the allegations.

Too much is open and public and recorded these days to just say “oh that didn’t happen” and see it magically disappear.

Advertisement
Mullet should have the bubbleguts. These are different times with “me too” and all that. I’m sure everyone thought nothing would happen to Cosby or Weinstein or the people around the president who went down.

Allegations aren’t being ignored because of the public disaster that can happen to the person or entity choosing to ignore the allegations.

Too much is open and public and recorded these days to just say “oh that didn’t happen” and see it magically disappear.

this.

as long as there are aspects of the melee' that go beyond, "we just paid a player," there is a volatility that can't be ignored.

I don't get why this investigation is happening, but there's nothing in connection with all the other kids who flash cash online. I mean, besides the obvious fact that those kids play for "better" teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back