Say it's Spring

SayWhat

Sophomore
Premium
Could we have college football and basketball going at the same time? Seems that's what will happen as I don't believe for one second that either us or the SEC will be the only two playing in the fall.

Talk about a college sports fans dream, it'll be nuts.

Advertisement
We're not going to have a vaccine widely available, if at all, by the Spring. So why would schools decide it's safe to play football then? This isn't going to just disappear, I think it's pretty clear whether there is the infamous "second wave" or not, people will be contracting COVID come the Spring.

What rationale, then, would a school have to reverse its decision to cancel football in the Fall and pick it up in the Spring? "Well, deaths are down about 8% so we feel it's OK." These schools are so pvssified they're not going do that, and that assumes things actually get better.

There will be no spring football, unless its gonna be some type of tourney, you wont get a full season. Its a kick teh can strategy, like they have been doing the whole time.. there is no plan

Could we have college football and basketball going at the same time? Seems that's what will happen as I don't believe for one second that either us or the SEC will be the only two playing in the fall.

Talk about a college sports fans dream, it'll be nuts.
No.

Advertisement
We're not going to have a vaccine widely available, if at all, by the Spring. So why would schools decide it's safe to play football then? This isn't going to just disappear, I think it's pretty clear whether there is the infamous "second wave" or not, people will be contracting COVID come the Spring.

What rationale, then, would a school have to reverse its decision to cancel football in the Fall and pick it up in the Spring? "Well, deaths are down about 8% so we feel it's OK." These schools are so pvssified they're not going do that, and that assumes things actually get better.
There are no agreed conditions to returning to play. So until then, as long as COVID is around any future seasons should be considered at risk.

There are no agreed conditions to returning to play. So until then, as long as COVID is around any future seasons should be considered at risk.
I agree. I don't see any way a school can justify bringing football back in the Spring, when it's not scheduled, after deliberately canceling football in the Fall. What could possibly be the rationale? Because - spoiler alert - we won't have a vaccine by then.

This virus could be around a year from now, easily. It is what it is. It's a classic example of assumption of risk and what risk appetite these schools and conferences have.

I agree. I don't see any way a school can justify bringing football back in the Spring, when it's not scheduled, after deliberately canceling football in the Fall. What could possibly be the rationale? Because - spoiler alert - we won't have a vaccine by then.

This virus could be around a year from now, easily. It is what it is. It's a classic example of assumption of risk and what risk appetite these schools and conferences have.
And many of these schools are running an athletic department deficit. Football drives the most revenue, but it also has the greatest cost. There are the players, the coaching staff (where salaries have reached a very high level, difficult to justify for state schools), and then also the maintenance and upgrading of facilities. The University of Texas for instance has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in upkeep and expansion on its stadium. COVID could be the ready excuse to eliminate football altogether in a majority of schools.

It's a lot easier to bring back a basketball program after a two or even three year layoff than it would be for football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back