Saw Dionte Mullins live on Friday

Ok first off this isn't a Golden thread, this is strictly my opinion on what I saw Friday when Gulliver got spanked by Westminster. I was no more than 15 feet away from the field so I got a pretty good look at everything. To be honest, I don't see the hype at all with him at the moment and came away completely unimpressed.

Positives:
You can tell he has a ton of talent

Size is there. He looks like a senior going into college right now size-wise

That's about where it ended for me

Negatives:

Looks lazy on the field, he seemed to not even be engaged at all

Tim Irvin covered him a lot and completely shut him down even with broken ribs.

WCS played another CB on him and Mullins didn't do much either

He's not really football fast, I'm sure he flies in a dri fit and shorts but when the pads come on its a different story

Guy is awful on punt returns, let it bounce every time didn't try and make one play even when his team is down. Saw Irvin scoop one up and take it almost 40 yards through traffic

Long story short, very unimpressive. Maybe it was on off day but the rep on him around the county is that he's soft. Tim literally knocked him out last year when these teams played so maybe it was that idk but he sadly lived up to that rep on Friday.

He's still a take in my book because the talent is there without question but he needs to be coached up. Hopefully we're deep enough in 2 years where he can RS because he needs a year of college football coaching and needs to see how intense it is if not he'll be left behind and gone in 2 years IMO.

Gulliver has some players though, honestly the DB Brandon Shuman really impressed me. That kid plays HUNGRY. He was on Irvin all game jawing trying to get a spark going. I like him a lot and he's a taller, rangy corner I prefer. Joe Jackson is another one who's going to be real good.

Robert Burns was meh, mainly because WCS dominated at the LOS but he didn't wow me.

On the WCS side, Tim Irvin is just ridiculous. Played while recovering from broken ribs and was quiet in the first half on offense but played great on the defensive end.

Cronkrite is a beast, this staff will regret taking Walton over him this year. Remember that.

So if Mullins were to decommit and go to somewhere like FSU, UF or Bama would you be complain and blame the staff??

This is what most posters do... like with Cronkite. I wish we could keep him, kid is a very good prospect. I see a lot of people saying Walton over Cronk... well if Cronk goes and tears it up somewhere I can't wait to see what everyone will say on here....

Of course I would blame the staff. Did you not read where I said he's still a take no matter what based on talent/potential?

The staff completely **** the bed with Cronk but that's another thread.

My bad went back and re-read that part....

I don't completely blame the staff for Cronk....

Advertisement
Have to stop acting like Cronkite is some supreme stud prospect. Ridiculously hard to bring in 4 RBs into one class. More than satisfied with the other 3 RBs that we have.

Have to stop acting like Cronkite is some supreme stud prospect. Ridiculously hard to bring in 4 RBs into one class. More than satisfied with the other 3 RBs that we have.

Its my belief that he is though...I'll never waiver from that opinion. Walton is a good back but IMO JC >>

Its my belief that he is though...I'll never waiver from that opinion. Walton is a good back but IMO JC >>
Seems like none of the powerhouse programs agree with you. He's been slow played by almost every other school that he currently lists besides WVU. UF, OSU, ND are all slow playing him with other targets ahead of him. They evaluators just don't seem to agree.

I'm selfish....I want them all. What threw a wrench in the whole thing was Dex Williams committing and being solid plus Walton reclassifying.

We aren't at the liberty to turn down great S.Fla talent...

Advertisement
I was at the game too and ill say this, to judge him based off this game is kinda unfair. The Westminster Defense killed Gullivers O line and that Qb had no time to get throws off. Correct me if im wrong, but Gulliver finished with negative yards on offense.

People said all of the same things about Stacy Coley. He's struggled so far this year, but I'd rather have him in Orange/Green than not.
People said that about Coley, and it looks like he's living up to that billing this year. Looks disinterested and sulky.

People said all of the same things about Stacy Coley. He's struggled so far this year, but I'd rather have him in Orange/Green than not.
People said that about Coley, and it looks like he's living up to that billing this year. Looks disinterested and sulky.

He does, and it's a bad look. I'm a huge Coley fan and have been disappointed thus far. There's unlimited potential with that kid.

However, we are talking about a sophomore......so there's still time for him to mature. But it needs to come from him. That being said, when you are the 2nd most talent kid on the offense and are constantly rotated off the field with 4 other receivers and have no targets, i can see why it gets disinteresting. There's absolutely no flow or cohesion. I was never like that when i played, but WRs tend to be divas. The best way for the coaches to get Coley's head in the game is to get him the ball early, get the competitve juices flowing, then ride the wave. Instead, we have him run on and off the field 20 plus times in the 1st quarter and maybe show him the ball once on a horribly executed WR screen (our WRs don't block well and Kaaya doesn't get the ball out fast and with a lot of zip like it needs to be for WR screens).

Advertisement
Back