Saw Dionte Mullins live on Friday

Canesbball

Bran
Ok first off this isn't a Golden thread, this is strictly my opinion on what I saw Friday when Gulliver got spanked by Westminster. I was no more than 15 feet away from the field so I got a pretty good look at everything. To be honest, I don't see the hype at all with him at the moment and came away completely unimpressed.

Positives:
You can tell he has a ton of talent

Size is there. He looks like a senior going into college right now size-wise

That's about where it ended for me

Negatives:

Looks lazy on the field, he seemed to not even be engaged at all

Tim Irvin covered him a lot and completely shut him down even with broken ribs.

WCS played another CB on him and Mullins didn't do much either

He's not really football fast, I'm sure he flies in a dri fit and shorts but when the pads come on its a different story

Guy is awful on punt returns, let it bounce every time didn't try and make one play even when his team is down. Saw Irvin scoop one up and take it almost 40 yards through traffic

Long story short, very unimpressive. Maybe it was on off day but the rep on him around the county is that he's soft. Tim literally knocked him out last year when these teams played so maybe it was that idk but he sadly lived up to that rep on Friday.

He's still a take in my book because the talent is there without question but he needs to be coached up. Hopefully we're deep enough in 2 years where he can RS because he needs a year of college football coaching and needs to see how intense it is if not he'll be left behind and gone in 2 years IMO.

Gulliver has some players though, honestly the DB Brandon Shuman really impressed me. That kid plays HUNGRY. He was on Irvin all game jawing trying to get a spark going. I like him a lot and he's a taller, rangy corner I prefer. Joe Jackson is another one who's going to be real good.

Robert Burns was meh, mainly because WCS dominated at the LOS but he didn't wow me.

On the WCS side, Tim Irvin is just ridiculous. Played while recovering from broken ribs and was quiet in the first half on offense but played great on the defensive end.

Cronkrite is a beast, this staff will regret taking Walton over him this year. Remember that.

Advertisement
Cronkrite rushed for over 100 yards and took a helmet to the face after his helmet had fallen off... The kid is tough...ive been we will regret losing him since the day he decomitted

Cronkrite rushed for over 100 yards and took a helmet to the face after his helmet had fallen off... The kid is tough...ive been we will regret losing him since the day he decomitted

Tough as nails and gulliver stacked the box all game long. Kid is awesome

Burns is still young as **** I believe he's a 2017 recruit and he's supposedly got the size of the RB Chubbs from Georgia. Kid will only get stronger.

Advertisement
As for Mullins his mom has said it before he's not a problem child in the class nor at home, but he's lazy. She seems like a tough woman so I'm sure she will whoop him into shape. Good parenting comes a long way and it seems like Dionte and Shaq have parents who will keep them walking the right line as well as giving everything they have to whatever team they play on. We all have off days, but there's no doubt he's one of the most talented WR's in the nation for his class.

Dionte is very talented and I have seen him live myself before as well. When I saw him he had a great game. But I do know where your coming from, I feel he has this laid back attitude, kind of goes through the motions. The right coaching and pushing from his mother will get him together in that area. He is freakishly athletic and has great hands and speed. He has all the tools.

Burns will be a stud, very young but maturely built. Joe Jackson off the charts. Did you see Ced Wright? He has great ability on defense in the secondary from what I have seen in the past.

I have heard of the word of Mullins being lazy at times from peeps before. When he's on though, he's on.

Mullins has freakishly huge hands too. Hands like size of a baseball glove for some exaggeration according to Sam Bruce.

I also have the feel that Gulliver just got manhandled too much to contribute to this as well.

I'll add though. Despite Mullins being extremely athletically gifted. He is still very raw though, has to polish more technique as a receiver. He could be a star on either side of the ball due to his athleticism though.

Mullins has very nice speed and ability from what I've seen in the past. So the speed comment seems off for me. But as said earlier, I have heard of laziness from him and that could be contributed to Gulliver getting punished by WC.

Tim Irvin always been a beast.

And as peeps know, I think Cronk is nice. But it is what it is. I still like Walton over Cronk. Will be debated throughout their careers.

Last edited:
You need to be WAAAAAAY more than 15 feet from any recruits or their parents.

Advertisement
Cronk over Walton?? **** no... they play different competition too.. Walton pretty much plays the best of the best in dade county, plus play some of the best teams around the country and always produces. ...Cronkrites competition, not so much... they havent played a really good team with any relevance

As for Mullins his mom has said it before he's not a problem child in the class nor at home, but he's lazy. She seems like a tough woman so I'm sure she will whoop him into shape. Good parenting comes a long way and it seems like Dionte and Shaq have parents who will keep them walking the right line as well as giving everything they have to whatever team they play on. We all have off days, but there's no doubt he's one of the most talented WR's in the nation for his class.

I'm sure he's a good kid but yeah I do get that lazy vibe. Just wish he was engaged a little more.

Dionte is very talented and I have seen him live myself before as well. When I saw him he had a great game. But I do know where your coming from, I feel he has this laid back attitude, kind of goes through the motions. The right coaching and pushing from his mother will get him together in that area. He is freakishly athletic and has great hands and speed. He has all the tools.

Burns will be a stud, very young but maturely built. Joe Jackson off the charts. Did you see Ced Wright? He has great ability on defense in the secondary from what I have seen in the past.

I have heard of the word of Mullins being lazy at times from peeps before. When he's on though, he's on.

Mullins has freakishly huge hands too. Hands like size of a baseball glove for some exaggeration according to Sam Bruce.

I also have the feel that Gulliver just got manhandled too much to contribute to this as well.

Yeah I think Burns is going to be real good plus Gulliver's OL is horrible. Thing with Mullins was I didn't really see that top speed you see in the 7 on 7 work where he's an absolute monster. I did notice the hands, ****** massive. Big time plus for a WR to have.

Joe Jack and Cedric Wright are beasts, I did get a chance to see them but the one who left an impression on me was Shuman. Just a feisty little ****** lol he mixes it up and goes 110% every play. Really like his game mixed with those measurables.

I'm sure Dionte has had better games but this one was a real bad one, just no effort at all it seemed.

I'll add though. Despite Mullins being extremely athletically gifted. He is still very raw though, has to polish more technique as a receiver. He could be a star on either side of the ball due to his athleticism though.

Mullins has very nice speed and ability from what I've seen in the past. So the speed comment seems off for me. But as said earlier, I have heard of laziness from him and that could be contributed to Gulliver getting punished by WC.

Tim Irvin always been a beast.

And as peeps know, I think Cronk is nice. But it is what it is. I still like Walton over Cronk. Will be debated throughout their careers.

This goes back to my point of him absolutely needing to be shirted once he gets here. Definitely needs to mature and see the mental part of how intense being an elite college football player is and how hard you have to work.

The laziness was there from the opening kick though Friday. Again, maybe it was an off day I won't fully pass judgement until I see him play again.

Irvin is a monster. Its really a shame D'Onofrio and Paul Williams are blowing it with him.

And I'm on the Cronk bandwagon, the kid just brings it all to the table man. I'm a little biased as a WCS alum but he's just special IMO.

Cronk over Walton?? **** no... they play different competition too.. Walton pretty much plays the best of the best in dade county, plus play some of the best teams around the country and always produces. ...Cronkrites competition, not so much... they havent played a really good team with any relevance

I'll go ahead and assume you would've taken Jodan Scarlett during those first 3 years at University right? Guess who played in the same district while Scarlett was at University? Westminster Christian and Jordan Cronkrite. WCS would beat a lot of teams in Dade this year. They're really, really good.

Advertisement
People said all of the same things about Stacy Coley. He's struggled so far this year, but I'd rather have him in Orange/Green than not.

Advertisement
People said all of the same things about Stacy Coley. He's struggled so far this year, but I'd rather have him in Orange/Green than not.

This. I watched Coley often in high school and never really came away overly impressed. He would have flashes of brilliance, but generally looked disinterested most of the time. He would line up at safety with his arms folded. Constantly threw tantrums on the sidelines and had to be taken aside and calmed down by coaches. I wasn't overly excited when he picked us. But I'm **** glad he signed with the Canes now, despite his struggles this year. Shows how much I know I guess.

This. I watched Coley often in high school and never really came away overly impressed. He would have flashes of brilliance, but generally looked disinterested most of the time. He would line up at safety with his arms folded. Constantly threw tantrums on the sidelines and had to be taken aside and calmed down by coaches. I wasn't overly excited when he picked us. But I'm **** glad he signed with the Canes now, despite his struggles this year. Shows how much I know I guess.

Don't feel bad. No one knows how kids who display this kind of behavior in HS will turn out. There are too many variables to know how a 17 year old with issues is going to end up adjusting to an entirely new world of being in college on their own. All coaches can do is do their homework and make a best guess and hope. Sometimes it works out, sometimes you get Willie Williams.

Ok first off this isn't a Golden thread, this is strictly my opinion on what I saw Friday when Gulliver got spanked by Westminster. I was no more than 15 feet away from the field so I got a pretty good look at everything. To be honest, I don't see the hype at all with him at the moment and came away completely unimpressed.

Positives:

Negatives:

He's not really football fast, I'm sure he flies in a dri fit and shorts but when the pads come on its a different story

Guy is awful on punt returns, let it bounce every time didn't try and make one play even when his team is down. Saw Irvin scoop one up and take it almost 40 yards through traffic

Long story short, very unimpressive. Maybe it was on off day but the rep on him around the county is that he's soft. Tim literally knocked him out last year when these teams played so maybe it was that idk but he sadly lived up to that rep on Friday.

He's still a take in my book because the talent is there without question but he needs to be coached up. Hopefully we're deep enough in 2 years where he can RS because he needs a year of college football coaching and needs to see how intense it is if not he'll be left behind and gone in 2 years IMO.

Gulliver has some players though, honestly the DB Brandon Shuman really impressed me. That kid plays HUNGRY. He was on Irvin all game jawing trying to get a spark going. I like him a lot and he's a taller, rangy corner I prefer. Joe Jackson is another one who's going to be real good.

Robert Burns was meh, mainly because WCS dominated at the LOS but he didn't wow me.

On the WCS side, Tim Irvin is just ridiculous. Played while recovering from broken ribs and was quiet in the first half on offense but played great on the defensive end.

Cronkrite is a beast, this staff will regret taking Walton over him this year. Remember that.

So if Mullins were to decommit and go to somewhere like FSU, UF or Bama would you be complain and blame the staff??

This is what most posters do... like with Cronkite. I wish we could keep him, kid is a very good prospect. I see a lot of people saying Walton over Cronk... well if Cronk goes and tears it up somewhere I can't wait to see what everyone will say on here....

Positives:

Negatives:

So if Mullins were to decommit and go to somewhere like FSU, UF or Bama would you be complain and blame the staff??

This is what most posters do... like with Cronkite. I wish we could keep him, kid is a very good prospect. I see a lot of people saying Walton over Cronk... well if Cronk goes and tears it up somewhere I can't wait to see what everyone will say on here....

Of course I would blame the staff. Did you not read where I said he's still a take no matter what based on talent/potential?

The staff completely **** the bed with Cronk but that's another thread.

Advertisement
Back