Santana Moss just gets it

GhostofVenice01

MOPE SQUAD INTERNATIONAL
amqsep.jpg

Advertisement
For some reason there has been a huge disconnect between the culture that defined this program(as evidenced above) and the state of mediocrity we have been wallowing in for over a decade. That reason is coaching and leadership. I don't know what Golden is talking about when he talks about culture change. To be sure, he cannot be referencing the type of culture that legends like Moss, Reed, Portis and Dorsey personified. Until this program acquires the type of leadership and coaching that is conducive to the type of character seen in the players mentioned above, we will continue to have to endure the cesspool of mediocrity we are presently mired in.

Last edited:
we have a coach that believes that we must be nice to others in order to be great. He deleted the "mean" and "aggressive" pillars. they were replaced with "try hard" and other meaningless and lame quotes he has acquired from his extensive championship experience...wait what?

Advertisement
you guys seriously need to stop living in the past. it was a great era. but that was more than 10 years ago.. Let it go

you guys seriously need to stop living in the past. it was a great era. but that was more than 10 years ago.. Let it go

No. Certain fans need to stop accepting mediocrity, especially at a program located in the recruiting hotbed of America that will always have the potential to return to dominance.

One of our position coaches caught a ton of deserved flak just before the season started for saying, "We won nine games last year. How many other teams can say they won nine games? Times have changed. It's a little different. Now, you win nine games - that's pretty impressive, you go to a major bowl game."

The quote OP posted from Santana Moss clearly illustrates the disconnect in mentality between then and now. Santana Moss said the team back then felt nine wins didn't mean s*** and he was right. They viewed winning nine games as unacceptable, used that as motivation, and eventually dominated. The position coach from the current staff quoted above believes nine games was quite an accomplishment.

Championship mentality vs. participation trophies. Some fans can choose to be thrilled if the team earns an invite to the Music City Bowl at the end of each season. But the rest of us know this program is capable of far greater than that.

Advertisement
Felt so much anger when I was reading that entire piece for the first time last night

How the **** do we go from this mentality to now..where kids dont care about getting blown out on Live tv...

No, what made us in 2000 was an ungodly collection of elite talent.

an ungodly collection of talent who worked harder than everybody else in football

and demanded nothing less than 100% from every player, every day, 7 days a week.
Curtis Johnson (wide receivers coach): I remember, Sean Taylor was a freshman and I was watching him right at the beginning of two-a-days and Sean, he just didn’t run (as) fast (as he could) or something. And the coach went to get on him, and before the coach could get there Ed Reed just jumped on him; Sean was almost crying. It was the worst thing you could ever see, but the coaches didn’t have to do any of that, the players did it all. When that happens, I knew we were well on our way.

For some reason there has been a huge disconnect between the culture that defined this program(as evidenced above) and the state of mediocrity we have been wallowing in for over a decade. That reason is coaching and leadership. I don't know what Golden is talking about when he talks about culture change. To be sure, he cannot be referencing the type of culture that legends like Moss, Reed, Portis and Dorsey personified. Until this program acquires the type of leadership and coaching that is conducive to the type of character seen in the players mentioned above, we will continue to have to endure the cesspool of mediocrity we are presently mired in.

that's what happens when you have penn state guys from the catholic vs convicts era coaching miami kids.

Advertisement
This was always my concern with Golden publicly stating that "we aren't there yet" when we were 7-0 last year. And it's a "process" as if losing is part of that process.

Saying we aren't there yet last year when we were 7-0 made it seem like we were going to lose and in my opinion sent a message to the kids saying it's ok to lose because we aren't there yet. Like they were expecting to lose at some point instead of scratching and clawing for every win.

That doesn't teach your team how to win it teaches them how to accept losing.

Get blown out by the national champions? It's understandable but shouldn't be accepted.

Win 9 games? It's nice, it's progress but it's not acceptable.

Golden talked about how this is 5x national champion Miami and they should be able to recruit with the big boys and getting the best of the best should be expected.

He needs to apply that to his coaching and W/L record. Losing here is not acceptable regardless of your talent and experience.

He's a very good recruiter and has high expectations. He needs to do the same for his actual team

Advertisement
You can't coach a kid to put in extra hours to work and try harder and watch film and so on. They gotta love the game and hate losing more then they love winning.
If you can combine hard work and talent, man, you can take on the world, ie Calvin Johnson.
It ain't nothing about scheme or nothing, if you got players who are just dogs and love to be mean on the field and work their *** off of to be great and you got that one leader ex Ed Reed, who shows the boys, what's up, then you got a winning formula, it's rarely the coaches. How else do you explain Coker winning? It's the guys on the field.
I'm neither for or against Golden, I just want to see the canes win man.

Last edited:

an ungodly collection of talent who worked harder than everybody else in football

That's fine. But a bunch of jags who worked harder than everybody in football would have lost 6 games that year. In the final analysis, work ethic is great, but talent is indispensable.

What about Duke last year?

You're comparing Duke to our 2000 squad?

That group of players pushed themselves to be the best. They woke at 4am to run, they pushed each other in practice and like back in the early 90s guys were tough and played through injury because they were afraid they wouldn't get their jobs back if they sat out.

That's fine. But a bunch of jags who worked harder than everybody in football would have lost 6 games that year. In the final analysis, work ethic is great, but talent is indispensable.

What about Duke last year?

You're comparing Duke to our 2000 squad?

No way am I comparing Duke to our 2000 squad. LOL. Just pointing out that Duke last year were, a bunch of jags, no blue chip talent on the team. They overachieved due to work ethic and coaching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement
Back