2023 Samuel M'Pemba, 5 star Athlete

Atlanta and Athens are less than 2 hours apart and very different cultures. I’m not surprised that the AJC doesn't care for the UGA football program, and I’d be surprised if anyone in Athens. or outside of Atlanta cares.

Exactly. I haven't seen anybody outside of the AJC going after UGA. And I would venture off to say the majority of this board, besides @Cajuncane of course at his age, have gone near 80 in a 55 in the last week at some point

Advertisement

Georgia deals with more ugly reports on culture under Kirby Smart​

Georgia once again rules the nation as kings of the college football world. However, questions about the culture of Kirby Smart’s program surfaced this offseason following numerous off-field issues, including lengthy reports of multiple driving violations involving players. Another ugly report from the AJC surfaced recently with allegations of underage drinking and sexual assault stemming from Jamaal Jarrett’s visit to Athens.

Jarrett – a 4-star DL signee in Georgia’s 2023 recruiting class – was allegedly involved in an incident as a 16-year-old recruit that landed him in an Athens police station. The report also claims 11 players during Kirby Smart’s tenure as the team’s head coach have remained with the program despite women reporting violent encounters to the police, the university, or both. Saturday Down South’s Matt Hayes addressed the culture concerns facing Smart’s program and questions if the head coach has learned what it takes to fix a growing mess in Athens.

Advertisement
Why do you suppose that is the case?

I have an idea but it sounds very conspiratorial. Close to what my man @FuriousStyles responded with.
Years ago worked with a guy who played at UF. Two years with Spurrier and two with Zook. Said the relationship with Gainesville PD totally shifted once Spurrier left. Football players went from basically getting away with everything to GPD crawling up their *** and players getting arrested left and right. He couldn’t provide specifics other than “once Spurrier left the **** was different”. So if one wanted to infer that Spurrier ran this clean program with well behaved choir boys they’d be wrong… folks just turned their head.

My takeaway is just because there aren’t reports of kids getting arrested “A” school doesn’t mean everything is on the up and up. And because there seems to be a lot of noise going on at “B” school doesn’t their kids are behaving by worse than a lot of other places.

Exactly. I haven't seen anybody outside of the AJC going after UGA. And I would venture off to say the majority of this board, besides @Cajuncane of course at his age, have gone near 80 in a 55 in the last week at some point

But I never do this anywhere but on a Highway and never through residential areas…..there’s a difference in driving fast and driving stupid…

Years ago worked with a guy who played at UF. Two years with Spurrier and two with Zook. Said the relationship with Gainesville PD totally shifted once Spurrier left. Football players went from basically getting away with everything to GPD crawling up their *** and players getting arrested left and right. He couldn’t provide specifics other than “once Spurrier left the **** was different”. So if one wanted to infer that Spurrier ran this clean program with well behaved choir boys they’d be wrong… folks just turned their head.

My takeaway is just because there aren’t reports of kids getting arrested “A” school doesn’t mean everything is on the up and up. And because there seems to be a lot of noise going on at “B” school doesn’t their kids are behaving by worse than a lot of other places.
It’s very easy to see how that can happen. It’s likely that Spurrier probably had a friendly relationship with someone very high up in law enforcement in Gainesville. They may have had a few meeting of Spurrier saying “hey, if any of my guys are caught doing anything stupid come to me first. Oh and it’s going to be great seeing you at games this fall.”

Then Zook comes in and tells the guy to fly a kite. Guy then goes and tells the police force to specifically be on the lookout for anyone on the team.

**** right you do brother. If I was Mario I'd have all the police reports printed up & hand them to the family on the way out. This is a cut throat game. They still tell moms Coral Gables is the hood 😂
**** savage, you would sign the best class ever. We may need you one day bruh lol

Advertisement
Interestingly, ESPN had been working on a piece prior to initial AJC story. Piece expanded on & offered additional insight into how Kirby & Co. work the system in Athens. It ran a few days after the first AJC story. Can debate whether it’s just kids doing dumb stuff, but Kirby has to be uncomfortable with folks chronicling incidents and delving into local fixers who show up in the middle of the night & make things go away. Some of these same kind souls date back to Kirby’s playing days.

Question is - why the change? Why look 👀 ne way for Spurrier and not Zook?

Question is - why the change? Why look 👀 ne way for Spurrier and not Zook?
I think @JamesQuall hit it on the nail on the head. It’s one of those read better lines things. The guy of course didn’t know the real reason why. We worked together 2007-2009ish.

Funny side note…water cooler talk, dude is laying claims to how great he was in HS, he’s from Jacksonville. Didn’t play much at UF, was honest about that. Any how, goes in about how he led Duval County in tackles his senior year. Unbeknownst to the storyteller a good friend of mine, who is good friends with Lito Sheppard (played against my co-worker in HS and course with him at UF) while hearing dudes exploits calls Lito and puts him on speaker in front of 7 people or so. Told him what the guy said to which Lito replied “that’s a f-ing lie…”. Lito totally called the guy out over the phone and said by name who actually led the county in tackles who was one of Lito’s teammates at Raines. **** was hilarious. Totally shamed him.

Can’t just go around telling lies all willy nilly. Never know who’s listening 😂

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why are they trying so hard to paint these guys as an out of control program?
You seriously need to ask that question? Have you not noticed that anytime someone rises up to challenge Satan regularly they take them back a notch. Been happening since balls became prominent. From auburn,to South Carolina,to ole **** etc. Just a healthy distraction.

Interestingly, ESPN had been working on a piece prior to initial AJC story. Piece expanded on & offered additional insight into how Kirby & Co. work the system in Athens. It ran a few days after the first AJC story. Can debate whether it’s just kids doing dumb stuff, but Kirby has to be uncomfortable with folks chronicling incidents and delving into local fixers who show up in the middle of the night & make things go away. Some of these same kind souls date back to Kirby’s playing days.

I didn't see that piece. Stand corrected

You seriously need to ask that question? Have you not noticed that anytime someone rises up to challenge Satan regularly they take them back a notch. Been happening since balls became prominent. From auburn,to South Carolina,to ole **** etc. Just a healthy distraction.
Espn is all in on two things. Lebron James and Nick Saban

Advertisement
If I had to guess there is other stuff going on at Georgia that they’re not at liberty to report or put out to the public just yet either due to lack of evidence or fear of being locked out from the program. I’ve seen something similar in my professional life where the sharks (media) start circling and start reporting on anything they can to cover their basis when **** really comes to light.

I find it funny that we are now at a place where there is no thoughts at all about the 6 figure sports car being driven by a freshman to actually commit the crime of excessive speed. Lol. Shows my age

Advertisement
Back