Sam

Advertisement
Not a surprise. If nothing else, he's a tall body.

I maintain though, that Sam could be a decent role player. The problem is, bad teams have a way of making role players look worse than they actually are, and Sam frequently doesn't play with confidence.
We also have been forced to play him out of position because we don't have any physical bigs. Sam is at his best when he can stretch the floor. Sam coming back would be more beneficial if we have a true center on next year's team.

We also have been forced to play him out of position because we don't have any physical bigs. Sam is at his best when he can stretch the floor. Sam coming back would be more beneficial if we have a true center on next year's team.
Both of these are so true. He's a backup and playing out of position, but god knows we need the bodies so i'm glad he is coming back.

I said this in acc tourney thread but brooks playing with Sam would have helped his game. I’m confident in saying that if Sam was able to play like a true stretch 4.

Advertisement
Any word on any of the other guys either returning or leaving? I guess this is good for depth. Need a few more to return

Advertisement
Poor man's Ivan Uceda (not as accurate an outside shooter). Positive, as stated above, is he provides a needed big body.

Don't necessarily agree with some statements above about him having to play out of position and/or that he's a Stretch 4. To my mind, he's not anywhere near athletic enough (or a consistent enough 3 point threat) to fill that role.

To me, that's always been one of the issues with Sam, i.e., exactly what is his position? Nowhere near physical enough to really help at the 4 or 5. Not enough quickness/handle/ability to defend to play the 3.

6 points and 6 rebounds in 35 minutes by a 24 years old.
This is not what's best for the program.
Sam apparently doesn’t turn 23 until very late next season. We realistically have four returning players now including Sam unless we get more senior opt-ins. If Sam gets L closer to actually filling out the roster spots, I don’t see an issue. As several posters have said (and I have in the past too), he’s a decent role player if you actually use him as one.

Last edited:
Sam apparently doesn’t turn 23 until very late next season. We realistically have four returning players now including Sam unless we get more senior opt-ins. If Sam gets L closer to actually filling out the roster spots, I don’t see an issue. As several posters have said (and I have in the past too), he’s a decent role player if you actually use him as one.

100% correct. With the three freshman we got 7 guys and we aren't getting 6 in the portal so if 2 or 3 guys wanna come back i'm all for it.

Advertisement
Sam coming back should help our depth, but not sure how much of an impact he'll have in the win/loss column. Just don't know if he'll be able to take that next step into being a productive double-double guy for us. Hard to envision him doing it after 3 years of 5ppg & 6rpg.

Correct, Sam's young, he enrolled at UM when he was 17 (I think because New Zealand's academic calendar is different than ours).

Fine with me as long as he comes off bench. We need all the bodies we can get. His comments on Coach L were interesting.

Advertisement
Fine with me as long as he comes off bench. We need all the bodies we can get. His comments on Coach L were interesting.
I'm suspicious Coach L promised Sam a starting role to come back (if he doesn't crap the bed, ofc)... we know how Coach L adores "seniors" (being one himself, pun intended?)

I'm thinking this is how far we sunk, that there is a fair amount of enthusiasm for Sam's return. But I never really was much of a Sam fan (and still am not.) But at least it's not Rodney.

I'm suspicious Coach L promised Sam a starting role to come back (if he doesn't crap the bed, ofc)... we know how Coach L adores "seniors" (being one himself, pun intended?)

I'm thinking this is how far we sunk, that there is a fair amount of enthusiasm for Sam's return. But I never really was much of a Sam fan (and still am not.) But at least it's not Rodney.
Sam might be starting just by default because we have no other bigs.

Advertisement
Back