Sam needs to shoot more

Advertisement
He probably should shoot a little more, but a lot of times when he passes up a good look, his pass ends up leading to a great look. I actually think he should do more of what he did last night. Pump fake the 3 and drive to the basket for a dunk/get fouled and go to the line.

He does. He's shooting 53.5% on the season (I know a lot are layups and dunks). Also, it would help if Wong shook this "slump." Since the FSU game, he's scored 12, 8, 18, 6, 14, 20, 15, 10 and 4. Less than 12 a game.

Advertisement
He is hitting 50% from 3 in ACC play yet constantly passes up open shots.

Consistently passes them up.

Although, in fairness, I have liked his rebounding this year. Seems like 60-70 percent of the time he's under the basket on D, he comes up the the rebound. Maybe that's a bit high, but he's been making an impact.

EDIT: Also, he has taken a bunch of wide-open driving dunk opportunities too, which I might like more than his 3s, as we have multiple guys who can hit 3s, but only one lanky white guy who throws down with authority.

I'd like to see him run a few more backdoor cut passes and a couple of fake handoffs per game.

He does. He's shooting 53.5% on the season (I know a lot are layups and dunks). Also, it would help if Wong shook this "slump." Since the FSU game, he's scored 12, 8, 18, 6, 14, 20, 15, 10 and 4. Less than 12 a game.
Idk not enough possessions for all our scorers. McGusty and Moore are hot, no reason to force them to spread it out if those guys are making their shots

Idk not enough possessions for all our scorers. McGusty and Moore are hot, no reason to force them to spread it out if those guys are making their shots

Wong is taking basically the same amount of shots as last year. He's shooting 6% lower on 3s. He's also not getting to the FT line nearly as much.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sam be more assertive and aggressive, on both ends of the floor. He's a much better player when he is than when he's not. Doesn't force the ball and rarely see him take bad shots. Loved his effort last night. Didn't pull up in the paint with that weak stuff. Took it to the hole with authority. Need more of it.

Advertisement
i watch Sam pretty closely and am maybe his biggest critic. I saw him practice 3's in warmups several times and he's always the best shooter, even when Lykes and DJ were here, in practice. He has no confidence I fear during games, or nerves , or IDK. But he has the EYE.

His passes to me are almost comical. Rarely to someone driving or underneath, but just on the perimeter. Folks tend not even to cover him when he has the ball out there cause he passes it so quickly, rarely dribbles it (well) and generally doesn't shoot. This frees them up to double-cover others, so this is NG.

Never mind him driving in for layups and such... he blows many, has limited strength (and talent) doing that. Back to Wong, I think he may have more talent and helpful role as a passer like I wish Sam would do... dribble efficiently, fake a shot that is believable, then pass to a driving or well-positioned player. Wong has the eye and ability and quickness to do that. And also take it himself, so he cant be ignored like Sam (with the ball) often is.

One game Sam got hot... his shooting was the biggest winning factor. IDK if he can repeat that... one or 2 misses he seems to choke up. Maybe give him free rein and tolerate the misses, IDK. I don't envy Coach L. But with Wong covered so closely and better, we need some adjustments THAT WORK all the time.

i watch Sam pretty closely and am maybe his biggest critic. I saw him practice 3's in warmups several times and he's always the best shooter, even when Lykes and DJ were here, in practice. He has no confidence I fear during games, or nerves , or IDK. But he has the EYE.

His passes to me are almost comical. Rarely to someone driving or underneath, but just on the perimeter. Folks tend not even to cover him when he has the ball out there cause he passes it so quickly, rarely dribbles it (well) and generally doesn't shoot. This frees them up to double-cover others, so this is NG.

Never mind him driving in for layups and such... he blows many, has limited strength (and talent) doing that. Back to Wong, I think he may have more talent and helpful role as a passer like I wish Sam would do... dribble efficiently, fake a shot that is believable, then pass to a driving or well-positioned player. Wong has the eye and ability and quickness to do that. And also take it himself, so he cant be ignored like Sam (with the ball) often is.

One game Sam got hot... his shooting was the biggest winning factor. IDK if he can repeat that... one or 2 misses he seems to choke up. Maybe give him free rein and tolerate the misses, IDK. I don't envy Coach L. But with Wong covered so closely and better, we need some adjustments THAT WORK all the time.

I'm 90% sure him passing up open looks is a confidence issue; Sam's problems always seem to circle back to confidence. When he starts out hot, he usually plays great. When he starts cold, it spirals quickly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back