Sam Bruce talks about his invite to 'The Opening, #Swag16

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
This past weekend at 'The Opening' regional in Miami, Miami Hurricane commit Sam Bruce became the first wide-receiver to be invited to 'The Opening' finals in Beaverton, Oregon in July. Only 150 of the top football players in the country are invited to the illustrious camp a year, and Bruce described it as an "honor" to receive his invite.

"It's just such a great feeling," said Bruce just moments after his invite. "It's definitely a dream come true you know. I came to the camp (Saturday) and kind of expected this. However it was kind of questionable if I was going to be able to compete or not but I fought through the pain and 'Got Open'."

The St. Thomas Aquinas star who played a pivotal role in the team's state championship run last season is rehabbing a broken tibia and a fractured fibula and was fighting through some pain during drills but assured me the injury won't be an issue come fall.

"Rehab is going great. I'm training with a guy named Nick Hicks. He's a good guy and is getting me ready for 'The Opening baby," said Bruce.

Bruce, who has been one of the more vocal members of the #Swag16 recruiting class and recently has been voicing his approval of Kevin Beard being promoted to WR's coach on Twitter.

"It means a lot to me man. To me he is just so much more than a mentor. He is a phenomenal coach and a phenomenal person. All around he is a great guy and I can't wait to get down there to Miami to get to work with him," said Bruce.

Ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the 247sports.com composite rankings, the 'Canes 2016 class is loaded with talent such as Mr. Bruce himself. It's no wonder why Bruce is so excited.

"Yeah man, we've got almost 25 commits and they are all exceptional players you know. I can't wait to be around all those great players and do what we do to put Miami on top again," said Bruce.

"For Miami to get back on top they definitely have to come together more as a family," noted Bruce. "When you're a family things just click and that's what wins football games."

When asked what players he would like to add to the 2016 class Bruce mentioned Coconut Creek wide receiver Binjimen Victor and would also like to add a few offensive linemen and defensive backs as well.

Advertisement
Bruce, who has been one of the more vocal members of the #Swag16 recruiting class and recently has been voicing his approval of Kevin Beard being promoted to WR's coach on Twitter.

"It means a lot to me man. To me he is just so much more than a mentor. He is a phenomenal coach and a phenomenal person. All around he is a great guy and I can't wait to get down there to Miami to get to work with him," said Bruce.

I'll be cautiously optimistic up until he decommits or until NSD when he signs, whichever comes first. Hope he sticks, though.

Maybe Bruce should be head coach, he has a better grasp on who the best players are and what positions we need. Shame when a HS senior to be has better knowledge of details than the actual head coach. Hopefully Beard shares Bruce's thoughts on Victor to Northeast Golden

Kevin Beard is going to have to show his worth from a recruiting standpoint on this one. I gave him a pass for JScarlett because I honestly don't think they were as close as people are letting on. But he gets no pass for Bruce. Its his kid, he coached him in HS, he will be his position coach, and he has a relationship with him. NO EXCUSES.

Advertisement
Kevin Beard is going to have to show his worth from a recruiting standpoint on this one. I gave him a pass for JScarlett because I honestly don't think they were as close as people are letting on. But he gets no pass for Bruce. Its his kid, he coached him in HS, he will be his position coach, and he has a relationship with him. NO EXCUSES.

Is this the narrative people are using now?

I'm dying at the thought of blaming someone, who wasnt even a position coach yet, on the loss of Scarlett, good thing you gave Beard a pass on that one. Next thing you know losing recruits will be the GA's or Econ professors fault.

Is this the narrative people are using now?

I'm dying at the thought of blaming someone, who wasnt even a position coach yet, on the loss of Scarlett, good thing you gave Beard a pass on that one. Next thing you know losing recruits will be the GA's or Econ professors fault.

Man where you been? lol. Archive the thread when Beard got the WR coach job and see all the lames who questioned him as a recruiter because he didn't reel in Scarlett. Smh. Sad ****.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back