Safety Play 2020 And forward

SotaCanespiracy

Freshman
First off hats off to coach Banda and Van Dyke. They have done a **** of a job recruiting these last couple cycles. Now I would like to see our you safety come in play at a high level early. While some might not agree I was pretty disappointed in gurvan halls overall play last year, considering his ability/talent. Seems like it takes are safety's until they junior year to really get to that all American/conference level. Quan, redwine, Carter, Jenkins( Although the last 2 were coached mostly by golden) didn't pop til they were upperclassmen. I'm aware Bubba bolden looked good but he was basically a junior. I would like the Williams boys to come and be able to make early impact like a grant Delpit. Or this guy

This dude came in and balled his freshman and sophomore year. This is what we need

Advertisement
I more so mean when tae and the other Williams kid do finally play in 21 I hope they come out playing at a high level like other young freak safety's. Somes times I think our coverage or overall defensive scheme is too complicated for a first or second year starter

First off hats off to coach Banda and Van Dyke. They have done a **** of a job recruiting these last couple cycles. Now I would like to see our you safety come in play at a high level early. While some might not agree I was pretty disappointed in gurvan halls overall play last year, considering his ability/talent. Seems like it takes are safety's until they junior year to really get to that all American/conference level. Quan, redwine, Carter, Jenkins( Although the last 2 were coached mostly by golden) didn't pop til they were upperclassmen. I'm aware Bubba bolden looked good but he was basically a junior. I would like the Williams boys to come and be able to make early impact like a grant Delpit. Or this guy

This dude came in and balled his freshman and sophomore year. This is what we need

Those highlights are from his freshmen year and sophomore combined. Kid only played in 9 games last season and started 8 for Texas. Our safety group is better and better players at the position. Good player but I think our safeties are underrated and talent level is equivalent.

Advertisement
Bolden was really coming on before the injury. Gurvan will be much improved with a year under his belt. And we have Carter too. Add in Avantae Williams and we will be just fine at S. The bigger concern is who is going to step up at CB #2?

Bolden was really coming on before the injury. Gurvan will be much improved with a year under his belt. And we have Carter too. Add in Avantae Williams and we will be just fine at S. The bigger concern is who is going to step up at CB #2?
I agree. I'll also add suspect defensive calls, especially on 3rd and 4th downs. Last years DL coach was terrible at teaching guys to SET the edge.

The biggest myth of the offseason is that Hall had a bad season...

He played very well for his first year as a starter & 2nd year player, he had 66tcks 3PBU's 2 sacks & an INT & played his assignments well. If Baker called a smarter game & fixed the CB2 issue he would've been able to use Hall a lot more in a more advantageous way but he was tasked with having to provide over top help to one side so often that he wasn't allowed to roam & patrol the deep center field like he should have.

Hall is a beast & he'll play even better this season, but people need to stop talking like he sucked last year, yes he did make mistakes in coverage & took a few bad angles on tackles, but he was far from anything close to being bad. He was literally the best Safety we had last year.

Advertisement
Those highlights are from his freshmen year and sophomore combined. Kid only played in 9 games last season and started 8 for Texas. Our safety group is better and better players at the position. Good player but I think our safeties are underrated and talent level is equivalent.
I will give you that, and I agree the talent is equal. That being said even with that small sample size from the Texas safety, when gurvan played did we see a similar impact? I would say no

I agree. I'll also add suspect defensive calls, especially on 3rd and 4th downs. Last years DL coach was terrible at teaching guys to SET the edge.
I agree to me we over schemed on defense a lot last year. We should be able to line for up and just whoop are man this year. Hopefully that will make the calls simpler so the guys can just go make plays

He played very well for his first year as a starter & 2nd year player, he had 66tcks 3PBU's 2 sacks & an INT & played his assignments well. If Baker called a smarter game & fixed the CB2 issue he would've been able to use Hall a lot more in a more advantageous way but he was tasked with having to provide over top help to one side so often that he wasn't allowed to roam & patrol the deep center field like he should have.

Hall is a beast & he'll play even better this season, but people need to stop talking like he sucked last year, yes he did make mistakes in coverage & took a few bad angles on tackles, but he was far from anything close to being bad. He was literally the best Safety we had last year.
In no way was I suggesting that hall had a bad season last year, but I said I wasn't a bit underwhelmed I'd be lying bra. My biggest complaint with these Manny defense's has been the over scheming and tackling

gurvan is way better when paired with bubba. i know the media loves shaq but didnt guvran lead the team in tackles?

Advertisement
gurvan is way better when paired with bubba. i know the media loves shaq but didnt guvran lead the team in tackles?
I think with Ed here, and the trend of Banda's third year safetys taking that big leap in level of play. I would be surprised for both to be at least all conference. Who do you guys prefer in nickel Christian Williams or maybe Tae?

my favorite DB on the squad and player, that kid can play hes just next level and we need the back end to be that type of caliber of player across the board. Mad af he gets one more year and hes gone, i hope he stays but thats unrealistic

Advertisement
I think with Ed here, and the trend of Banda's third year safetys taking that big leap in level of play. I would be surprised for both to be at least all conference. Who do you guys prefer in nickel Christian Williams or maybe Tae?

I think Couch will be at nickel for passing downs. Looking forward to seeing him play this season .

I think Couch will be at nickel for passing downs. Looking forward to seeing him play this season .
Do we have an idea about Couch’s current weight? I really think he can be a baller for us once he got his weight up. He’s got long arms, perfect for a CB.

Didn't even think of couch. I would assume a corner, but now I see a lot of teams Use good coverage safety's in the nickel too which Tae would be perfect for. As much a people raved about Christian Williams I can't see how they keep him off the field.

THANK you!

Advertisement
Back