Safety Depth

954CaneBoi

Redshirt Freshman
Other than DT which has been discussed ad naseam, Golden has demonstrated fantastic roster management planning, in my opinion; at least relative to the last regime. However, as others have mentioned, safety depth in 2014 could be an issue. We will only have 3 scholarship safety players on the roster (Carter, Bush, and Jenkins --- all of which are / going to be studs!). We need some depth behind those guys though. I think it has been speculated that Lockley, when he qualifies, will get a look at safety, and I think I remember reading Peter say Gray will start at safety as well. However, neither of these two fellas have much / any experience at the position, so won't likely be able to contribute immediately. That leaves two avenues to alleviate the depth concern (i) add a safety or two this cycle; or (ii) convert some of our CBs to Safety, since we have numbers there.

So my questions to the more knowledgable posters than myself are who are realistic safety targets out there for this cycle, and, from the long list of CBs below, who could be potentials safeties?

2014 CBs on the roster (also excited about this group)
1. Artie Burns
2. Antonio Crawford
3. T. Howard
4. C. Lammons (I hope)
5. L. Gunter
6. Corn Elder
7. Nate Dortch
8. Nigel Bethel
9. Larry Hope
10. Ryan Mayes
11. Dennis Turner
12. Ray Lewis III

Also, since the CB list is so deep, what would you rank them in order. To normalize for age / experience, assume you could have them on your roster for 10 years, where would you pick each, from 1-12. For what it's worth, which isn't much, the above would be my ranking.

Thanks fellas. I'm getting pumped for the season!!! Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Gray will be a safety, but he has some grade rumors about him. He disclaimed them, but we never know about anyone's grades. Even with gray going to play there, he's never played safety in his life. We need two true safeties in this class. I'm hoping for Gayot & another solid player. I think Mayes might end up at safety, but the coaches offered him as corner. Artie would be the best safety on the roster IMO, but the coaches want him at corner & he will excel there also.

Gayot is the best out there imo. And we need to flip him from Louisville. Btw we don't have alot of Safeties but we are quite young with two True SO and a True FR to go with Rodgers. Gray will definitely play defense if he makes it in, therefore if we get Gayot in we're fine imo.

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights on the Gayot kid, and I definitely want him in this class. I'll take a kid who hits like that any day, and he seems to have a knack for the ball. He would be a great addition at safety.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Ray can play safety. That was his father's primary position in HS. Until they establish some quality depth at corner, the staff will probably keep most of the corners at there. Corner is one of the positions that was left bare by previous staff--wasn't that good while they were here either. Al will make sure he has plenty of cbs and qbs after the nightmare he was given. I am sure the number of DT's on the team will be large too, once now that some are looking harder at us. Of the group I think might be the most likely one. Although, back up rb is a need also, especially if Corn is going to be cb.

Advertisement
Safeties for 2014 will be as follows:
Bush
Jenkins
Carter
Mayes
And one more recruit

Advertisement
We really have no idea who is going to wind up at Safety. So to say we are in trouble at Safety is senseless. CBs move to Safety ALL THE TIME.

I am of the opinion that CBs can play safety in college. Howard, Gunter, and burns could all play there if needed. So get guys that can play corner and the safeties will come.

I think OP's likely correct in suggesting that one of our CBs moving to safety seems necessary/likely, I'm just not sure which one is the best fit.

Advertisement
Back