Sad day for CFB if realignment occurs

Advertisement
As the line between amateur sports and professional sports diminishes, so will my interest. I used to watch college football most of Saturday and any other nights it was on. If I had to go to a bar to watch out games, that's what I did.

I don't know if it's fatherhood, a different set of priorities, or the chasing of the money that's done it, but I pay maybe 10 to 20 percent the attention to it that I used to. This was the first college basketball season I literally didn't even watch a game.

It is what it is and I can't say I'm any worse for it. I just tune in far far less. I don't even keep up with who is in what conference anymore.

I should add I haven't watched an NFL, NBA, or MLB game in two or three years. Sort of went the same trajectory as NCAA sports are.

It's fatherhood and a different set of priorities—but it's also due to the fact Miami has sucked for the better part of this century.

I grew up going to games at the Orange Bowl and saw four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year of high school—as well as seeing a few championships left on the field. Suffered through the probation era while at college in Gainesville (when Florida was a power) and started covering the Canes for Grassy dot com back then.

Fun ride in my mid-20s watching Butch rebuild the program and it felt like the old Orange Bowl days of my youth. Hard for football to not be everything when your team is a massive power in that era.

I was 27 for that 2001 title and was six months into dating the girl who would eventually become my wife. She was also there for the 2002 comeback against the Noles and the Fiasco Bowl a year later, as well as the 2003 comeback against Florida at the Orange Bowl, and the 2004 season opening overtime win Florida State.

I'm 47 now, I have an 11-year old daughter and I've been married 16 years next month—and the Canes have brought my nothing but heartache and frustration over that time span. (I returned from a Tahitian honeymoon in early September 2005 to witness a 10-7 loss at FSU. A year later, traveled back to Miami with a half dozen buds for a 13-10 opening loss to FSU. A year after that, made the pilgrimage for the 48-0 *** kicking via Virginia in the Orange Bowl finale.)

Yes, the sport has changed and being an Alabama fan present day—with all their success—can't compare to being a Miami fan in those indelible 1980's. The sport has become big money and has lost it's charm—while today's athlete is completely un-relatable. The shift started about a decade ago and social media has only made things worse.

It's fatherhood and a different set of priorities—but it's also due to the fact Miami has sucked for the better part of this century.

I grew up going to games at the Orange Bowl and saw four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year of high school—as well as seeing a few championships left on the field. Suffered through the probation era while at college in Gainesville (when Florida was a power) and started covering the Canes for Grassy dot com back then.

Fun ride in my mid-20s watching Butch rebuild the program and it felt like the old Orange Bowl days of my youth. Hard for football to not be everything when your team is a massive power in that era.

I was 27 for that 2001 title and was six months into dating the girl who would eventually become my wife. She was also there for the 2002 comeback against the Noles and the Fiasco Bowl a year later, as well as the 2003 comeback against Florida at the Orange Bowl, and the 2004 season opening overtime win Florida State.

I'm 47 now, I have an 11-year old daughter and I've been married 16 years next month—and the Canes have brought my nothing but heartache and frustration over that time span. (I returned from a Tahitian honeymoon in early September 2005 to witness a 10-7 loss at FSU. A year later, traveled back to Miami with a half dozen buds for a 13-10 opening loss to FSU. A year after that, made the pilgrimage for the 48-0 *** kicking via Virginia in the Orange Bowl finale.)

Yes, the sport has changed and being an Alabama fan present day—with all their success—can't compare to being a Miami fan in those indelible 1980's. The sport has become big money and has lost it's charm—while today's athlete is completely un-relatable. The shift started about a decade ago and social media has only made things worse.

Congratulations on that new and special addition to your family. They're life changers, positive and rewarding. It's cliche, but you'll never love anything more.

You're a year older, but that's pretty much my life as a Canes fan. Thanks for sharing and I agree almost word for word.

As for Bama, being relatable, etc I'm not sure that people can't relate to them. Perhaps today's kids can and the winning thing I get. I just don't understand today's athletes who post smiles, fun things, and so forth after losses. Sports aren't what they used to be to most. Lived it and breathed it. Now there's so many distractions we didn't deal with growing up.

As a kid from then, had I grown up today, I doubt I would be much like myself. I have one kid who absolutely goes balls out in all he does and hates losing. The other, it doesn't seem to bother him. I'm trying as a father to be understanding to that as I was balls to the wall. It's just something he does, but doesn't love. Seems most kids today it's a means to an end.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back