Sacrifice Bunts

TheRichtShow

Sophomore
Premium
Aside from the use of analytics and regular shifts defense, the biggest difference IMO from how Miami played in 2019 vs under Morris was DiMare's decision not to take the bat out of his batters' hands. I looked up the numbers and the reduction in sac bunts was staggering. Here's the number of sac bunts and where we ranked in the ACC:

2019: 8 (14th)

2018: 24 (11th)
2017: 56 (1st)
2016: 77 (1st)
2015: 57 (1st)
2014: 68 (3rd)
2013: 70 (2nd)

Curious what people think about the change in philosophy. I thought taking the bat out of guys hands like Morris did, especially when we had strong lineups in 2015/16 was not smart baseball. I do think though there were a handful of late game situations in 2019 where sac bunts would have made sense and our guys swung away. It seems like DiMare is going for a similar approach to Louisville - where they are patient at the plate, aggressive on the bases, and dont rely on small ball to score runs

Advertisement
The only time a bunt is ever worth it is when a pitcher is at the plate or if you have 1st and 2nd with no outs and a hitter at the plate who is a double play candidate or not swinging it well

In college baseball I’m more about putting pressure on a D and putting the ball in play as many times as possible. If you follow college baseball in the tournament you’ll notice those teams usually have the most successful runs. Pitching, keeping pressure on and defense. Power in a lineup can go cold faster then guys who collectively focus on doing the little things and having a solid plate approach

In college baseball I’m more about putting pressure on a D and putting the ball in play as many times as possible. If you follow college baseball in the tournament you’ll notice those teams usually have the most successful runs. Pitching, keeping pressure on and defense. Power in a lineup can go cold faster then guys who collectively focus on doing the little things and having a solid plate approach

I tend to agree. Vandy led the country in HR but even their power was neutralized in Omaha by TD Ameritrade, which is the ultimate pitchers park. I see it as to have an elite team you need excellent starting pitching, a few strong bullpen arms, and a lineup that doesnt have any easy outs.

Miss St, Vandy, and Louisville were probably the three best teams this year and they all could put lineups out there with guys that could hit 1-9. We had the same type of lineup in 2015, but of course we didnt have the pitching to go along with it.

Advertisement
I tend to agree. Vandy led the country in HR but even their power was neutralized in Omaha by TD Ameritrade, which is the ultimate pitchers park. I see it as to have an elite team you need excellent starting pitching, a few strong bullpen arms, and a lineup that doesnt have any easy outs.

Miss St, Vandy, and Louisville were probably the three best teams this year and they all could put lineups out there with guys that could hit 1-9. We had the same type of lineup in 2015, but of course we didnt have the pitching to go along with it.
Yup. Even in the Bigs you see the teams that do the little things right at the plate usually have a better postseason success. Along with a strong pen. I’m a Yankees fan and these new sluggers approaches can be terrible in the postseason. Depending on extra base hits and lifting the ball is the new way to go

Advertisement
Yup. Even in the Bigs you see the teams that do the little things right at the plate usually have a better postseason success. Along with a strong pen. I’m a Yankees fan and these new sluggers approaches can be terrible in the postseason. Depending on extra base hits and lifting the ball is the new way to go

Truth. I think we're going to see some teams shift their philosophy back to the old way: pitch, play defense, do the little things right at the plate.

agree with both of you guys.

a team that can bunt well really puts pressure on a defense. it's the football equivalent of stretching the field.

i'm not saying you should bunt your 4 hole hitter with nobody out, but when you have speed and good baserunning, bunting is a real weapon.

Advertisement
Scream louder, the cloud didn't hear you.

Let me guess who this quote pertains to...........

If the team disheartens the Gnome to such a colossal extent, why does he post here? They attacked him so viciously on Grassy that he fled. He has staunch minions here, though. I miss Piccolo tearing him apart. Those were classic exchanges......... A man versus a primate!

OCF is probably dead at this point, but he had some classic retorts. A judge versus a gnome who cannot pass the bar!

If the team disheartens the Gnome to such a colossal extent, why does he post here? They attacked him so viciously on Grassy that he fled. He has staunch minions here, though. I miss Piccolo tearing him apart. Those were classic exchanges......... A man versus a primate!

OCF is probably dead at this point, but he had some classic retorts. A judge versus a gnome who cannot pass the bar!

The team? This was about the concept of sacrifice bunting, DannyBoy.

Advertisement
Analytics don't account for the variables that exist in every situation. People like @Lance Roffers blindly follow analytics, but if my 9-hole, .210 hitting defensive wizard second baseman is up in the 9th in a tie game with a runner on first, he's bunting.

I hate to break it to you but with a .210 hitter analytics would absolutely recommend bunting in that situation.

I'm not sure you really understand the analytical models that exist in baseball, because the entire point IS to account for the variables that exist in every situation.

Most situations, most hitters - models discourage the sac bunt. But a tie game in the 9th with a terrible hypothetical batter at the plate is not one of those situations

whatever happened to OCF? He and Random Walk were two of the best posters over there.

Advertisement
Back