Saban s first year at Bama

Saban was 7-6 his first year a Bama losing 4 out of his last 5 games.The next year he was 12-2 and his third year he won thr NC.He came in as an experienced College Coach and NFL coach who had previously won the NC at LSU.We need to be patient with Coach Diaz.He is smart enough to get it done.Patience will be rewarded.
I can see the negative comments coming from this point, but there is history that shows successful coaches often have mediocre season in year 1.

Bob Stoops Year 1 at OU: 6-6
Pete Carroll Year 1 at USC: 6-6
Kirby Smart Year 1 at Georgia: 8-5
Nick Saban Year 1 at Michigan State: 6-6
Nick Saban Year 1 at LSU: 8-5
James Franklin Year 1 at Penn State: 7-6

The successful coaches generally make the big leap in Year 2. We'll see if Manny can do the same. If it's 7-5 (or worse) then we've got a problem.

Advertisement
I can see the negative comments coming from this point, but there is history that shows successful coaches often have mediocre season in year 1.

Bob Stoops Year 1 at OU: 6-6
Pete Carroll Year 1 at USC: 6-6
Kirby Smart Year 1 at Georgia: 8-5
Nick Saban Year 1 at Michigan State: 6-6
Nick Saban Year 1 at LSU: 8-5
James Franklin Year 1 at Penn State: 7-6

The successful coaches generally make the big leap in Year 2. We'll see if Manny can do the same. If it's 7-5 (or worse) then we've got a problem.

Were any of those coaches a OC or DC for previous 3 years of year 1 and recruited half the players of their 1st season?

How do you justify not given Ronaldo Ballon d'or in 18 and doing so to Messi in 19? They had the same stats.

Advertisement
Were any of those coaches a OC or DC for previous 3 years of year 1 and recruited half the players of their 1st season?
It's a good point, and that makes Manny almost unique (except when comparing against Randy Shannon).

However the problems have not been on the defensive side of the ball, at least for the most part. It's the inability of the offense to score. So we'll see.

Any time a coaching hire has been made (either here, or at UT when I've talked with friends from there) I am always looking for the level of improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. If you truly have a keeper at HC, there should be a big jump. When it's incremental, there's a problem.

Randy Shannon: Year 1 (5-7), Year 2 (7-6), departed after Year 4
Al Golden: Year 1 (6-6), Year 2 (7-5), departed during Year 5
Mark Richt: Year 1 (9-4), Year 2 (10-3), retired after Year 3
Charlie Strong: Year 1 (6-7), Year 2 (5-7), departed after Year 3
Tom Herman: Year 1 (7-6), Year 2 (10-4), TBD

When you look at the successful, franchise coaches:

Bob Stoops (OU): Year 1 (6-6), Year 2 (13-0)
Nick Saban (LSU): Year 1 (8-4), Year 2 (10-3)
Nick Saban (AL): Year 1 (7-6), Year 2 (12-2)
Pete Carroll (USC): Year 1 (6-6), Year 2 (11-2)
Jimmy Johnson (UM): Year 1 (8-5), Year 2 (10-2)

If Manny is going to be successful, we need a significant improvement in year 2 in wins.

Saban was 7-6 his first year a Bama losing 4 out of his last 5 games.The next year he was 12-2 and his third year he won thr NC.He came in as an experienced College Coach and NFL coach who had previously won the NC at LSU.We need to be patient with Coach Diaz.He is smart enough to get it done.Patience will be rewarded.

AND HERE WE GO :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

Image result for ready fight gif

OP, we have no choice but to go through another year with Manny and an Enos offense. While I hope for an early Christmas Miracle next fall with Diaz morphing into the next Saban, I won’t be waiting for it too long.
Real quick man, Saban had already been HC at Toledo, Michigan State (revived the program), then LSU (revived that program with a ship, then the Miami Dolphins, and only then did he have his second year at Alabama. Diaz’s second year is nowhere close to Saban at Bama. Secondly, Alabama as a university was going to do whatever it takes to be successful in football. They’re obsessed with football. Not so at Miami. Just completely different situations.

Quoting Saban’s first year at Bama or Dabo’s first seasons at Clemson in support of Manny should be ban-worthy offenses. Even for the reason we’ve heard it and read it all before, over and over.

Advertisement

EPIC POST 🙌

Our first year head coach going thru growing pains normal,why do we eat our own young when there giving there all , Manny is going to prove people wrong and that’s well and good as bandwagon fans will be running behind trying to jump aboard at the tailgate yelling Cane fan here I’m cheering GO CANES GO I WANT ON NOW

What’s funny is our fan base would’ve lost their **** if we hired him after Toledo or Michigan State, dude was very meh before LSU. Especially at MSU.

What’s funny is our fan base would’ve lost their **** if we hired him after Toledo or Michigan State, dude was very meh before LSU. Especially at MSU.
He needed the brand as well....didn't he get plaxico to go to MSU? I wasn't into cfb then but I'm sure brand and HC have to match. What Saban can bring in at LSU he can't bring at FIU. I always thought Saban was the best recruiter and usually they had subtle signs at a lower school. Hard to find the Sabans....he's no x and O genius I tell u that much.

manny is not dumb. he seen two very good coaches in Richt and MAck Brown fall apart. hes worked around others like Mullen and Amato. Hes not as stubborn as golden and probably cares more about the program than any post-butch coach than maybe randy shannon. that being said, he wasnt the right hire because he had no HC experience and is learning on the job. he didnt have a great coaching tree. its possible he could have learned at temple then been good here but i dont see it right now. maybe im wrong but he seems like deadman walking.
one thing he does have in him thats positive is hes not afraid to fire people or send kids to the portal.

Advertisement

Difference is that he learned how to coach and work out the kinks at Toledo, then as a DC for the Browns and then again at MSU before given the keys to a major program. He didn’t start at LSU which is what Manny is doing now. Absolutely disastrous decision to AGAIN hire a guy that has to wear training wheels the first few years just to reach the baseline level of expertise of being a HC.

Difference is that he learned how to coach and work out the kinks at Toledo, then as a DC for the Browns and then again at MSU before given the keys to a major program. He didn’t start at LSU which is what Manny is doing now. Absolutely disastrous decision to AGAIN hire a guy that has to wear training wheels the first few years just to reach the baseline level of expertise of being a HC.

That’s not the point , our coaching search committee gurus would’ve lose their mind. Hiring a guy who was on a failed staff in the pros as a dc and a mediocre record at two stops prior to getting LSU gig. How can we hire this corch here , he’s mediocre. Has even won his conference bro?

Exactly. That's the point I was going to make. None of this stuff is set in stone nor would it automatically happen somewhere else. Dozens of coaches are supposedly working out the kinks.

You really have to be a supreme handicapper to pick a Nick Saban out of the woods and understand the potential. Frankly LSU did not understand the potential. It was like the Patriots drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Pete Carroll got lucky. USC was so far down for so many years that job became absurdly devalued, to the point a flock of coaches turned it down ahead of him. Otherwise who knows what happens to Pete Carroll, any of those other guys say yes?

I'm never going to ignore situational influence.

Advertisement
Nick Saban won the MAC, SEC twice, a national championship, and went to the NFL before he took an L to Louisiana-Monroe in his first season at Alabama.

This really is a nonsense thread.

Waits for the "Well...Dabo Swinney" responses.

Nick Saban won the MAC, SEC twice, a national championship, and went to the NFL before he took an L to Louisiana-Monroe in his first season at Alabama.

This really is a nonsense thread.

Waits for the "Well...Dabo Swinney" responses.

Imagine what he’d be called with this resume if it were today lol. Dude was a .500 coach at MSU , and even at LSU before the nattyy he was a little above average. 6-5 and 6-6 in bsck to back years here they’d want your head on a stick

People here act like Riley is overrated and mediocre and he loses 1-2 games a year.

Dabo would’ve had a banner flying here by year three and four , if not sooner. “ Fire this idiot wr coach.

Funny stuff. 0AAE7DC5-0A71-4CB3-93CF-60A05F7A5021.jpeg

Thank's OP, I needed that for the Holidays; how did Dabo Dabo Do?

Jimbo Fisher was 9-4 1st year at TX A&M is 7-4 this year...

Are you aware that reasoning from a single anecdote is a logical fail?

Advertisement
Back