Saban recruiting tactics?

pope7137

Redshirt Freshman
Didn't know where to put this but I've seen some of you refrence that Saban over signs and also cuts players on a regular basis how does he get away with cutting players and coachs of highschools or the media not making a bigger deal about it. I just have a hard time believing that if we cut kids loose that it wouldn't be a bigger deal here.
Thanks for any light shed on this subject.

Advertisement
this is how Saban recruits

One month before NSD

Saban: Hey D'sqaurius Green Jr I saw your tape and...I think you should come up for a visit.
Player: I am so excited coach I will be there

(on the visit)

Saban: how bad do you want?

Couple days later, D'Sqarius commits to Alabama

Didn't know where to put this but I've seen some of you refrence that Saban over signs and also cuts players on a regular basis how does he get away with cutting players and coachs of highschools or the media not making a bigger deal about it. I just have a hard time believing that if we cut kids loose that it wouldn't be a bigger deal here.
Thanks for any light shed on this subject.

Who's going to say isht? They spread more money than you can imagine around local high schools. No local coach will say ****. And they don't recruit kids serially from away schools. And there's always a story.

Miami has this issue more than most for a few reasons -- one, because it's a local private school, that doesn't spread money around high schools all over florida; two, because florida has three major programs in-state, meaning that local schools have loyalties elsewhere in many cases, money aside; and three, because Florida is recruited by so many programs nationally, that there are just a ton of programs talking to the kids and coaches we talk to. We're the regular, so our flaws get seen. They're generally the attractive alternative who isn't regularly there so their flaws are less well known. All that conspires to create a bit of a no-tolerance for mistakes zone for UM.

It's common among many schools...only really matters if it's done to a kid from a feeder school or national program. Like if Saban did it to a kid from say south plantation then he would not care since that ****** coach does not routinely have D1 talent coming out of his high school.

They dominate the press locally, and the national press couldn't give a ****. 'Oversigning' doesn't have the same ring as 'Boat's n' hoes'. If you don't believe they are enabled by their local media, look at the way our local media reacted when Shannon cut Steven Wesley. Bama does that on a huge scale and nobody gives a ****.

In reality, lots of kids aren't going to honestly question their ability to the point where they might worry about getting cut. Try and tell a top athlete that he shouldn't go to a school because they might pull his scholly. He'll likely laugh in your face.

Advertisement
Personally, i see no problem with over signing. its a good way to cut dead weight. Recruiting classes are hit and miss, you will have some boom and you will have some bust. No need to have an unproductive player on your roster for four years when you can bring in someone from JUCO or an All American Freshman who can make more of an impact. As far as academic side of it, if they don't qualify, grey shirt them and allow them to come in the following semester and if they don't qualify that will be one less worry about numbers. If they do qualify you will have time to evaluate the players already on your roster and if one or some are not cutting it, you give them their walking papers and replace them with the grey shirt player or players in the next recruiting class. Its a good way to keep STUDS coming in and JAGS going out, all while not going over the limit.

I don't think the high school coaches Bama recruits come from care too much if their former player is cut for lack of production. They understand that Bama is loaded with talent and Saban is one of the best College coaches in America and if their former player can't cut it at Bama then they do not belong there. Also, unlike Miami, Alabama doesn't have people like Manny Navarro and The Miami Herald giving high school coaches, parents, and former players a platform to bash the program. In Miami, the high school coaches are different. See the Ice Harris/Denver Kirkland situation. All in all, you can say over signing is unethical but at the end of the day college football is a business.

209.jpg

I'm just trying to figure out what happens to these kids when they have their scholarship cut?

Advertisement
Ol boy has been pretty **** good at targeting top kids from SoFla...

Landed Amari Cooper, Ed Stinson, Eddie Jackson...

Recruited Artie Burns, Deon Bush, and Matthew Thomas.

Saban makes his trips to SoFla worth it.

Saban does a lot of crafty things to get players 'off' scholarship. I remember reading somewhere that Bama let the nation in players with Medical Hardship scholarships (scholarships given to players who, it is believed, hurt themselves playing football to the point where they can no longer play the game). These scholarships allow the players to continue going to school for free and don't not count against your scholarship limit.

Saban doesn't seem like the type of guy you'd like to be around if things aren't going well. Where AG might try to lift a players, Saban seems to just replace them.

Truthfully, I don't think he's forcing guys out. If anything, with the type of talent they bring in yearly, I'm sure underperforming players would much rather leave on their own as soon as they are passed on the depth chart by underclassmen. While, at UM, AG doesn't seem like the type that would simply force a kid out.

Saban sells families on his abilty to win NC and get players to the NFL. Golden sells families on his ability to mold young men and teach them to be accountable through football. Sabans strategy makes it a lot easier for Bama to 'dump' players and easier for playes to leave with families/ HS coaches/etc not to get butthurt!

I don't know what things are like now, but back when we got pummeled by Bama in the '94 Sugar Bowl they had these two DE's who were unbelievable. I remember one of them absolutely destroyed Mario Cristobal. Somebody told me that both guys were Prop 48s. We generally could not take Prop 48s. I don't even know if there is such a thing as Prop 48s anymore, but I doubt that we could get in all the kids that Bama takes. I'm sure their academics are much looser.

Advertisement
Prop 48's were outlawed in the mid 90's I believe- Curry and Copeland were the 2 Bama DE's that day, neither of them did squat in the NFL, but they beat the tar out of us that night in 92.

ND's 88 team had a ton of prop 48's- Ismail and Rice are 2 off the top of my head that I recall.

Advertisement
Back