Ryan Day will be next UM coach (article)

Now all I can think of is Ryan Day, sweaty as **** on the sidelines at Hardrock, black beard dye running off his face, leaving specs of black all over his Hurricane polo.

Advertisement
Never will happen but it would be a clear upgrade from what we have lol

If i was a journalist i would definitely just write anything about Miami because our fanbase will give it clicks no matter how crazy it is

Deep Space Nine Dislike GIF by Star Trek
Pero primero, Ryan Day beat Michigan 4 straight years

Does he really recruit better than Mario or has he had the benefit of assuming the reigns of a program that was built by Cooper, Tressell and later Meyer?

How would Day recruit at any given ACC program not named Clemson or FSU?
Interesting. I don't know. I do know Day out recruits Mario every year right now.

Advertisement
Does he really recruit better than Mario or has he had the benefit of assuming the reigns of a program that was built by Cooper, Tressell and later Meyer?

How would Day recruit at any given ACC program not named Clemson or FSU?

How would Mario recruit there, any other BIG or ACC program not named FSU, Clemson, Michigan, etc? No offense, that's a weird angle to question.

At the end of the day, wins and losses are what matters.

This has been covered ad nauseum, every angle of this with Day just being the latest comparison.

I'd take my chances with Day though over Mario if it was some alternate universe where we had to fill a vacancy with both being available. My simple reason is one is a coach who can draw up plays that directly impacts a game. The other has to rely on others to do so.

You win and fund NIL the same, Day is the guy. This shouldn't even be a talking point.

You guys make fun of Mario as a gameday coach but didn’t Day lose to Mario in the Horseshoe with a higher ranked team?

That Ohio St team had CJ Stroud, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jaxon Smith Njigba, Miyan Williams, and Treyvon Henderson on offense. All future 1st or 2nd Rounders

That Oregon team had Anthony Brown, CJ Verdell, Spencer Webb, Kris Hutson, and Devon Williams. With exception of Verdell, non made it in the NFL.

Advertisement
You guys make fun of Mario as a gameday coach but didn’t Day lose to Mario in the Horseshoe with a higher ranked team?

That Ohio St team had CJ Stroud, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jaxon Smith Njigba, Miyan Williams, and Treyvon Henderson on offense. All future 1st or 2nd Rounders

That Oregon team had Anthony Brown, CJ Verdell, Spencer Webb, Kris Hutson, and Devon Williams. With exception of Verdell, non made it in the NFL.

And then Ohio State finished 11-2, finished ranked #6 with a Rose Bowl win over Utah, which beat Oregon twice that season. Ohio States only other loss was to #3 Michigan on the road (who he’d beaten in the previous two seasons). Oregon finished 10-4 with losses to Utah (twice), Oklahoma , and a 3 win Stanford. Ranked #22. Honestly, you think 10-4 is better than 11-2 just because of a 7 pt win?

Last edited:
I am dubious of hiring coaches from mega programs with infinite resources unless they previously established they could win at programs with lesser resources. That’s why I put Urban Meyer above Saban as the better college coach. Saban was mediocre at Michigan State, but then things were different when he had LSU and Bama money. Meyer was basically unbeatable at Bowling Green, then Utah, then Florida, and Ohio State. Anyways , I digress. If given the choice between Day and Kiffin, I’m taking Kiffin every time. Both can draw up Xs and Os, but Kiffin proved he could build winners at FAU and then Ole Miss. Whatever HS recruiting deficiencies he may have are more than made up by his dominance in the portal.

Advertisement
And then Ohio State finished 11-2, finished ranked #6 with a Rose Bowl win over Utah, which beat Oregon twice that season. Ohio States only other loss was to #3 Michigan on the road (who he’d beaten in the previous two seasons). Oregon finished 10-4 with losses to Utah (twice), Oklahoma , and a 3 win Stanford. Ranked #22. Honestly, you think 10-4 is better than 11-2 just because of a 7 pt win?

Read what you wrote again.

Now tell me is going 10-3 with Anthony Freaking Brown as starting QB, a slightly younger Cam McMormick as your starting TE, 2 nobodies at WR, and an UDFA RB who didn’t make an NFL roster. Zero skill players have played an NFL snap.

or is going 11-2 with the future #2 overall pick at QB, the #4 overall (MHjr) #10 overall (Wilson), #11 overall (Olave) #20 overall (Smith Njigba) at WR, a 3rd round TE (Ruckert), a 4th round TE (Stover) plus 3 more skill guys that will be playing in the NFL next (Williams, Henderson, Emeka Egbuka) more impressive?

Ryan Day took over a well oiled machine that dominated its rival to a team that in the last 3 years with all that great talent has gotten punked by a Michigan team that doesn’t even have a quarter of the 5 stars Ohio St has. Day has fired multiple DCs and position coaches in the last 3 years. Day’s career is looking more and more like Les Miles than Nick Saban.

and btw it was 10-3 not 10-4 as he was gone before the bowl game. And if you want to be honest he was gone even before the pac 12 title game.

I'd agree with you except he doesn't get somebody else for several years. Didn't even make sure there was a competent backup.
👀Respectfully: Say what???? I don’t see how Mario could’ve done anything better recruiting or portal wise in each season he’s been here, including when he had just arrived. Until now we will see Mario’s true potential as a coach because he has the horses in the stable to make a real run at the title and hopefully it will be sustainable for the long run. But honestly Miami was in the 💩 er we couldn’t compete with the blue bloods (the likes of Bama and taints) NIL has even the odds across the boards, it’s literally the only GottDamm reason little Nicky Saban retired. What top QB would have chosen The Canes the last couple of years without The NIL money??????🤔 It’s surprising to me how some don’t use common sense to really evaluate the state that The Canes were in. Expecting greatness or an instant turnaround after 2 decades of 💩💩💩💩 is unrealistic and downright delusional.

Advertisement
2? with this roster, he needs to win over 10 minimum. anything less is a disaster (Tbh, anything less than 11 in this ACC with everyone down is a disaster).
Usually spot on my man but a little off on this take. Winning is a learned behavior. Teams at the top have the TALENT + Winning Culture.

Cam Ward - did not win at Wazzu
D. Martinez - avg 9wins so knows winning culture
Sam Brown - did not win at UH
DT Barrow - average to below avg team at MSU

These are our Top 4 transfers - only one has experienced a consistent winning culture and that’s Martinez at Oregon State as JSmith had the Beavers rolling pretty good and nationally ranked on an annual basis.

Can’t just out talent everyone, guys have to learn HOW to win.

👀Respectfully: Say what???? I don’t see how Mario could’ve done anything better recruiting or portal wise in each season he’s been here, including when he had just arrived. Until now we will see Mario’s true potential as a coach because he has the horses in the stable to make a real run at the title and hopefully it will be sustainable for the long run. But honestly Miami was in the 💩 er we couldn’t compete with the blue bloods (the likes of Bama and taints) NIL has even the odds across the boards, it’s literally the only GottDamm reason little Nicky Saban retired. What top QB would have chosen The Canes the last couple of years without The NIL money??????🤔 It’s surprising to me how some don’t use common sense to really evaluate the state that The Canes were in. Expecting greatness or an instant turnaround after 2 decades of 💩💩💩💩 is unrealistic and downright delusional.
1000001521.gif

Advertisement
Back