Rutgers at Miami (-3) - 7:15 ET on ESPNU

ESPN can't even get Rutgers' name right...

1669909995933.png

Advertisement
Joseph is playing like a starting point guard that Coach L just can't take off the floor.

Great basketball IQ, doesn't turn it over and plays smothering defense. The kid needs to play 35 minutes.
Totally agree. I've watched Canes hoops for a LONG time and tbh I can't think of a better defensive guard here. Kid is built solidly, has quick hands and feet, plays physically, and can stick like glue to his man.

Probably our best defender since Davon?
Different type of defender. Davon had height.

For sticking his chest into his man and playing a smothering, shut down style, Joseph's quickness gives him the clear edge in my book.

Advertisement
Different type of defender. Davon had height.

For sticking his chest into his man and playing a smothering, shut down style, Joseph's quickness gives him the clear edge in my book.

Yes. Davon had the reach, while Bensley pretty much blankets the guy he's guarding.

Joseph is playing like a starting point guard that Coach L just can't take off the floor.

Great basketball IQ, doesn't turn it over and plays smothering defense. The kid needs to play 35 minutes.
Personally, I think the starting lineup should be

Joseph
Pack
Wong
Miller
Omier

This has been our closing lineup in recent games. I would have Wooga come off the bench as a 6th man spark plug.

Personally, I think the starting lineup should be

Joseph
Pack
Wong
Miller
Omier

This has been our closing lineup in recent games. I would have Wooga come off the bench as a 6th man spark plug.
I imagine we see this lineup at some point this year

Advertisement
And that skill is what made it easy to say he's the best I've seen here. That kind of suffocating defense is rare in any era, at any program.

Yeah, I was DM'ing MKlein yesterday afternoon before the game and told him that I met Bensley's mom at the Sweet 16/Elite 8 up in Chicago. She was staying at my hotel, so a few of us ended up going out for Lou Malnati's before the Elite 8 and hung out after the game. I liked Bensley as a defensive stopper last year, but he's stepped it up this year and seems to be a bit more confident with his shot too.

I definitely think we need to move Bensley into the starting lineup at the point. Pack has struggled thus far, and if we play him at the point, I think it needs to be with fewer minutes, he needs to only handle the ball when Bensley is out. Just let Nijel play SG most of the time. Wooga should be the sixth man, we just need to sacrifice the height for ball-handling and D. Let Wooga be our bouncy energy guy off the bench.

[EDIT: dammit, in the few minutes it took me to type this, I think the last 4 posts said everything I said too...]

Last edited:
Was surprised to see Pack has only taken 7 Free Throws in the 8 games played. Penetrating/driving to the hoop like Wong isn't his game but that's still a very low number. Good news is he's 6-7 at the line.

Advertisement
Yeah, I was DM'ing MKlein yesterday afternoon before the game and told him that I met Bensley's mom at the Sweet 16/Elite 8 up in Chicago. She was staying at my hotel, so a few of us ended up going out for Lou Malnati's before the Elite 8 and hung out after the game. I liked Bensley as a defensive stopper last year, but he's stepped it up this year and seems to be a bit more confident with his shot too.

I definitely think we need to move Bensley into the starting lineup at the point. Pack has struggled thus far, and if we play him at the point, I think it needs to be with fewer minutes, he needs to only handle the ball when Bensley is out. Just let Nijel play SG most of the time. Wooga should be the sixth man, we just need to sacrifice the height for ball-handling and D. Let Wooga be our bouncy energy guy off the bench.
Good stuff.

Joseph had a few good shooting games last year but there were a few very forgettable ones too (like that 1-10 against UVA). Looks a lot more confident shooting this season.

Good stuff.

Joseph had a few good shooting games last year but there were a few very forgettable ones too (like that 1-10 against UVA). Looks a lot more confident shooting this season.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. He's got that left-handed shot and he's kinda compact as he shoots it, and last year it just looked ugly and un-confident. This year is a lot smoother.

Advertisement
We've got four players, any one of which could be our leading scorer in any game.

If you only have one or two primary scorers, they know they are getting their shots, game in and game out. With four scorers, personal stats have to be sacrificed a bit from game to game with everyone understanding next time out, the scoring column could likely look different.

Not at all a bad "problem" to have. If Miller and Wong go off one game, it could be Pack and Omier the next, or whatever combo.

Joseph has to start and you have to give him confidence to shoot it more as well. At worst he’s a premier defender and solid floor general.
Shot has improved. Question is: Enough to award him a starting position? A little to soon to say, imo. but trending that way.

Shot has improved. Question is: Enough to award him a starting position? A little to soon to say, imo. but trending that way.
To me you reward him a starting spot for everything outside of his shot. Great on ball defense which is key, good command of the offense. From that you just encourage him to shoot more. Bring that part along slowly.

Advertisement
Back