Rush Defense

Advertisement
That is true, but we’ve come a long way from getting steam rolled by the likes of MTSU. Folks get mad when we play down to competition but then try to discredit it when we dominate. Can’t have it both ways
I got a female friend that’ll disagree wit u bc she likes it both ways🧐 Go Canes

LT cant be blocked! If LT keeps playing like this, he is headed to the first round of the draft
U betta say it bro! Go ahead & get on the LT56 train b4 it’s too late (BIG PAUSE). He was in the backfield today more den a dear in the woods behind a Trailor park

Advertisement
I don’t think the pass rush has been as bad as others in this thread are saying. We got a decent amount of pressure on their QB, and that’s with 3 DL out. One thing that ****ed me off though is Bain was being held like a ****. I’m tired of watching that happen all game and the refs not calling it once

I kept telling people they were overreacting to our size up front and only because of a scrimmage our Ol moved them. Well our Ol will move most teams. You just saw the day they D didn’t get the best of the O. Guidry schemes around size , using more schematics and alignments to counter the run.
Last year we thought our corners were awesome cause our receivers couldn’t get open. So this year when we got run on by our offensive line we thought our run defense was terrible cause we didn’t want to get hurt again. Turns out we just have a great OL

our defense is pressuring at a high rate, even with our two best DL OUT and our all-American safety out.

people aren't seeing sacks and are freaking out but pressure creates havoc (interceptions, fumbles, poor throws, etc.)

last year we were top 10 in sacks... and gave up nearly 40 to every team with a pulse so it's not a strong barometer of overall success

1/3 of temple's yards came on two plays yesterday. Not ideal, but overall (outside of those two plays) excellent showing by Miami against FBS competition

Some of us tried to tell you Guidry was kinda good at this. Marshall isn’t big. They were elite in every metric against the run.

We are now #4 in the country in YPG allowed
#6 in yards per rush allowed
#12 overall in scoring defense

And that includes giving the ball to A&M inside our 15 yard line twice.

Not bad.

Advertisement
biggest concerns
lack of pressure w/ just 4
we are soft in the middle - our LBs cannot cover anyone
and the RBs are still running free on wheels and flats

two of these are correctable, one is something Louisiana Lightning will have to engineer
It's a very real concern and is something that will be exploited in conference play. The secondary and specifically pass coverage is our teams weakness. The lack of consistent pressure upfront will only exacerbate this issue. This is just something that we will have to improve on from week to week but unfortunately this issue isn't going to just disappear. Every team has their weakness and this is ours. Lance Guidry has done a phenomenal job so far and it's very hard to ask for much more. This is a personnel issue and despite playing with great effort, our CBs will struggle against good to great passing attacks. The silver lining in all of this is that this squad is very tightly knit and truly play for each other. These kids have completely bought in and they will compete for 60 minutes every game and never quit. That is what will ultimately carry us through the adversity.

I think guidrys done a great job so far. My only concern is we’re getting burnt by rbs covered by ends. I’m pretty sure now it’s happened in all 4 games. Make that adjustment and develop a better pass rush as the season goes on and we’re rollin.
I don't think we've covered a RB wheel in nearly 20 years.

Guidry called a fairly vanilla game against Temple. There was very little blitzing, much less than against A&M. It seemed like the secondary was playing soft, on purpose, and it looked like there were some missed coverages. DE's covering RB's on wheel routes is going to have to stop. Covering the flats I can see, but there's no way for a DE to cover someone running down the field.

Advertisement
Back