Running Game X's & O's. Is the scheme different with Homer?

SWFLSWAGG17

My Dog has that Dog in him.
I have never played or coached organized football on any level. That said I pay attention (especially with UM) and utilize common sense on a daily basis. I'm hoping someone with actual X & O's knowledge can tell me if what I saw Saturday was a change in game plan for GT or a change in scheme altogether in the run game. Now that Homer is carrying the load, being a one cut & downhill Terrell Davis style back, I noticed they ran more stretch plays or similar looking to help him find that lane to cut up in and get positive yards. Is the OL being asked to do anything different, or is it just 2 contrasting style running backs with Walton & Homer?

Advertisement
I have never played or coached organized football on any level. That said I pay attention (especially with UM) and utilize common sense on a daily basis. I'm hoping someone with actual X & O's knowledge can tell me if what I saw Saturday was a change in game plan for GT or a change in scheme altogether in the run game. Now that Homer is carrying the load, being a one cut & downhill Terrell Davis style back, I noticed they ran more stretch plays or similar looking to help him find that lane to cut up in and get positive yards. Is the OL being asked to do anything different, or is it just 2 contrasting style running backs with Walton & Homer?

Base don the small sample size, I didn't see any runs schemes different.
What I'll say is interesting though is how Travis Homer, is able to square up and go up-field quickly out of the wide zone from gun. That's a tough thing to do and he does it with a burst. Mark Walton seemed to glide around the corner or pitter patter his feet to get up field, as opposed to a 90 degree cut and up field.
I also find Homer exceptional playing in a phone booth, while Walton was a banger and tried to make his own holes (i.e., first run vs App State 2016). homer's style of running leads to having longevity.

I didn't see anything we hadn't already seen, but could've missed something from stadium view. The "stretch" plays you mentioned were run for Walton against Toledo, iirc. What you're watching is a truer one cut and go RB who would do exceptionally well with inside and outside zone plays. Coach Coley used to mix and match outside zone with power run game, but also would sorta cross up our OL the way a pitcher throws a curve and crosses up his catcher who's expecting a fastball. I'm not sure that's Richt's style. I would be interested to see Homer's yards after contact from the GT game. He did a really great job putting his foot in the ground and flying by arm tackles.

What I saw was a continuation of what CMR seemed to hit on in the 2nd half vs. FSU when we went with more 3 and 4 wide sets to spread out the D. I could not believe the number of times I saw a 6 man box on Saturday. Couple that with the vertical passing game and Homer just hits the hole too **** fast for the secondary to recover.

Advertisement
It is said that Homer is a serious dude. All business. That translates to his running style. Hits the hole hard, lowers his shoulder at contact, protects the ball, hardly any wasted movements east west.

Walton was much more shifty but injuries in his last two games made it hard to compare them this season.

Looked to me on a couple plays like more zone blocking. I could be wrong

With there diff.runnig styles, the block scheme work best when having to create a whole in a quick executed way as in walk throughs in practice. The big guys normally don't like to have to stay engage to long. I believe they will experiment with what fits Homers style the best. Zone maybe, but will see. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement
Back