Running Back U

Advertisement
you would pick Jackson over Lamar Miller?
I wasn't ranking. I was putting them in order by year showing a sequence of great backs one after the other. Jackson was **** good here and gets lost in the shuffle because of the reason just stated. He was actually drafted in a better pick (65) than Lamar Miller (97).

We will have 2 NFL hall of famers from the 97-04 stretch, and Syracuse has 3 NFL HOF and 4 College HOF from their stretch and Ernie Davis wasn't NFL hall of fame (died young), but won heisman.

I guess this is only about the BCS era, which is why Ottis Anderson is not in there. But Clinton Portis had a pretty good NFL career. Put him in our 4, and we've got LSU beat easily. If pro careers mean more than college careers, then we've got Wisconsin licked, too.
Portis had more yards than mcgahee in nfl. Miller, duke also merit mention.

For the pre-2000 era:

1. Syracuse: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Csonka, Little. Brown, Csonka, Little are in both CFB and NFL HOF. Davis is in CFB HOF, won Heisman.
2. USC: Marcus Allen, O.J., C. White. 3 CFB HOFers, 2 NFL HOFers
3. SMU: ****erson and Doak Walker: both in CFB & NFL HOF.
4. OK State: Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, both NFL & CFB HOF
5. Miami: Edge, O. Anderson, Foreman, Bosseler, Highsmith, Gary, Bratton, Dooley. Edge is Canton. Foreman, Bosseler are in CFB HOF.
6. Pitt: Dorsett, Martin. Dorsett is in CFB & NFL HOF. Martin is in NFL HOF.
7. Florida: E. Smith, Taylor, Rhett, Anderson. Smith is CFB & NFL HOF. Taylor close to Canton level.
8. Penn St.: Carter, Cappeletti, Warner, Enis, Franco Harris, B. Thomas
9. Georgia: H. Walker, T. Davis, Hearst, Hampton, Worley.

Advertisement
For the pre-2000 era:

1. Syracuse: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Csonka, Little. Brown, Csonka, Little are in both CFB and NFL HOF. Davis is in CFB HOF, won Heisman.
2. USC: Marcus Allen, O.J., C. White. 3 CFB HOFers, 2 NFL HOFers
3. SMU: ****erson and Doak Walker: both in CFB & NFL HOF.
4. OK State: Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, both NFL & CFB HOF
5. Miami: Edge, O. Anderson, Foreman, Bosseler, Highsmith, Gary, Bratton, Dooley. Edge is Canton. Foreman, Bosseler are in CFB HOF.
6. Pitt: Dorsett, Martin. Dorsett is in CFB & NFL HOF. Martin is in NFL HOF.
7. Florida: E. Smith, Taylor, Rhett, Anderson. Smith is CFB & NFL HOF. Taylor close to Canton level.
8. Penn St.: Carter, Cappeletti, Warner, Enis, Franco Harris, B. Thomas
9. Georgia: H. Walker, T. Davis, Hearst, Hampton, Worley.
Why do you guys keep leaving Rob Konrad off the Syracuse list??? Smh.

Miami has five guys in the top ~45 NFL rushers of all-time. To my recollection, no other school has more than 2.
No.1) Frank Gore #3
No.2)Edgerrin James #13
No.3)Otis Anderson #30
No.4)Clinton Portis #32
No.5)Willis Mcgahee #41
No.6) Chuck Foreman #97
No.7) Lamar Miller #99

Also 3 of the top 30(This blew my mind)
And 4 of the top 32(See above)
Chuck Foreman at #97 and Lamar Miller at #99 makes it 7 of the top 100 leading rushers in NFL history. (Just insane.)

Just think about the above for a while. It truly is amazing! Only at The U!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
No.1) Frank Gore #3
No.2)Edgerrin James #13
No.3)Otis Anderson #30
No.4)Clinton Portis #32
No.5)Willis Mcgahee #41

No.6) Lamar Miller #99

Also 3 of the top 30(This blew my mind)
And 4 of the top 32(See above)
Lamar Miller at #99 makes it 6 of the top 100 leading rushers in NFL history. (Just insane.)

Just think about the above for a while. It truly is amazing! Only at The U!!!!

All of the above would be totally insane.

But you're missing Chuck Foreman at #97.

Advertisement
So seven in the top 100. Really curious how many the next-closest school has and I really doubt it's more than 4. USC would have I think Lynn Swann, OJ, probably Reggie Bush. Pittsburgh and Ohio State probably have a few. But nobody has close to 7 IMO.
I'm going to look into that but I can't imagine anyone else being anywhere close to 7 out of 100 in any all time individual category. I'm still in shock at Willis being so high on the list. What he was able to accomplish after that gruesome injury is mind blowing. Obviously Frank Gore gets all the attention and deservedly so being #3 in all time leading NFL rushers after what two, three knee reconstructions? Then still being active and a sure bet to get to #2 unless he retired after last season and I missed it which these days is entirely possible.

Still the fact that Willis was even able to have a career longer than 3 years after sustaining what was considered a possible career ending injury and the fact that he is #41 in all time rushing yards is mind boggling in its own right.

I'm going to look into that but I can't imagine anyone else being anywhere close to 7 out of 100 in any all time individual category. I'm still in shock at Willis being so high on the list. What he was able to accomplish after that gruesome injury is Mind blowing. Obviously Frank Gore gets all the attention and deservedly so being #3 in all time leading NFL rushers after what two, three knee reconstructions? Then still being active and a sure bet to get to #2 unless he retired after last season and I missed it which these days is entirely possible.

Still the fact that Willis was even able to have a career longer than 3 years after sustaining what was considered a possible career ending injury is mind boggling in its own right.

Completely agree on McGahee. He low key had a very solid career. To me 7 of the top 100 is nowhere near as impressive as 5 of the top 45. Simply put, 10% of the 50 NFL all-time leading rushers went to Miami. I'd bet no other school could say that for any position in terms of touchdowns, receiving yards, tackles, sacks, whatever.

Advertisement
Completely agree on McGahee. He low key had a very solid career. To me 7 of the top 100 is nowhere near as impressive as 5 of the top 45. Simply put, 10% of the 50 NFL all-time leading rushers went to Miami. I'd bet no other school could say that for any position in terms of touchdowns, receiving yards, tackles, sacks, whatever.
No question about it. I would make the same bet. 5 of the top 45 is flat out unbelievable.

How about this..........

Anderson played in the 70s so let's take the rest of the top 5. Those 4 guys played in a span from 1996-2004. Edge played from 1996-1998 and the other 3 Portis, Magahee and Gore played from 2000-2004.

So 4 of the top 45 NFL all time leading rushers played at the same school(Miami) within a 8 year span. 3 of the top 45 not only played within a 4 year span but were all in the same backfield in 2001! That's Unreal!

How about this..........

Anderson played in the 70s so let's take the rest of the top 5. Those 4 guys played in a span from 1996-2004. Edge played from 1996-1998 and the other 3 Portis, Magahee and Gore played from 2000-2004.

So 4 of the top 45 NFL all time leading rushers played at the same school(Miami) within a 8 year span. 3 of the top 45 not only played within a 4 year span but were all in the same backfield in 2001! That's Unreal!

Yeah it is unreal when put in that context. And weren't all of them coached by Soldinger?

Advertisement
Back