Run Pass Ratio

I think richt called plays like he was at UGA with the stud RBs and hefty lines. That'd be great if that were the case, but our run game wasn't that imposing. Dude came out with the coker T way too many times this year.

you'd have to chart a game and show me how many times we came out in the **** T formation. We rarely ever did that.

We ran RPO majority of the **** time anyway. So im confused by this post...

Advertisement
I think richt called plays like he was at UGA with the stud RBs and hefty lines. That'd be great if that were the case, but our run game wasn't that imposing. Dude came out with the coker T way too many times this year.

you'd have to chart a game and show me how many times we came out in the **** T formation. We rarely ever did that.

We ran RPO majority of the **** time anyway. So im confused by this post...

What I refer to as the coker T is the run run pass on third down offense. Not a formation. This is what I've always referred to as the coker T.

W FAMU Run 63% Pass 37%
W FAU Run 55% Pass 45%
W App State Run 52% Pass 48%
W GT Run 58% Pass 42%
L FSU Run 46% Pass 54%
L UNC Run 53% Pass 47%
L VT Run 33% Pass 67%
L ND Run 40% Pass 60%
W Pitt Run 37% Pass 53%
W UVA Run 57% Pass 43%
W NCST Run 43% Pass 57%
W Duke Run 46% Pass 54%
W WVU Run 50% Pass 50%

Next Year with a new QB and the horses at RB. We should have Walton touch the football at least 20-25 times per game including catches. 20 Walton Runs and 5 catches per game would do him well. The backup RB could hopefully see about 10-15 touches per game. This allowing the new QB to settle in a bit. Hopefully the If we run 40-45 run plays per game. We can have our new QB attempt 20-25 passes per game unless the game require more from him.

What would you guys do as coach Richt for next year in regards to Run - Pass Percentages?

Not worry about a run/pass ratio and take what the defense is giving you. Running for the sake of "balance" is dumb, Richt has to get that out of his head. I know he wants to run the ball but if the D is stacking the box, throw it until they change their d.

Worst thing you can do for a young Qb is get behind in down and distance.

Last edited:
W FAMU Run 63% Pass 37%
W FAU Run 55% Pass 45%
W App State Run 52% Pass 48%
W GT Run 58% Pass 42%
L FSU Run 46% Pass 54%
L UNC Run 53% Pass 47%
L VT Run 33% Pass 67%
L ND Run 40% Pass 60%
W Pitt Run 37% Pass 53%
W UVA Run 57% Pass 43%
W NCST Run 43% Pass 57%
W Duke Run 46% Pass 54%
W WVU Run 50% Pass 50%

Next Year with a new QB and the horses at RB. We should have Walton touch the football at least 20-25 times per game including catches. 20 Walton Runs and 5 catches per game would do him well. The backup RB could hopefully see about 10-15 touches per game. This allowing the new QB to settle in a bit. Hopefully the If we run 40-45 run plays per game. We can have our new QB attempt 20-25 passes per game unless the game require more from him.

What would you guys do as coach Richt for next year in regards to Run - Pass Percentages?
it depends on qb and oline. frankly u want balance to keep teams on d off balance,

u want to be able to run ball and throw it about 50/50 if u can, with a young qb especially u want to run the ball a bit more. but again will depend on qb who wins job and what there skill set is. Allison they might throw more then with Weldon or perry. with perry id expect a lot of read option, rpo with a lot of quick passes early in games to settle him down. Allison more of a power run system with play action to go deep.

whoever qb is I expect a lot more play action then this year and even more designed qb runs. although less of them with Allison then perry or weldon

Advertisement
I could give 2 ****s about run/pass ratios personally. I'm a proponent of taking what the defense is giving, even if that means throwing the ball 75% of the time. IMO doing something just for the sake of balance is dumb.

"Yeah they've got 8 guys in the box but let's run it anyway, cause, balance!"

If we're gonna be a spread offense we definitely shouldn't be following that philosophy because good spread offenses are predicated on taking what the defense is giving you and exploiting the best match-up. That essentially why they run RPO's, plays that are both run and pass, giving the QB the choice based on alignments/reads/etc.

WVU was attacking the **** out of the run game and we didn't open the game up until we decided to throw the p!ss out of the ball.

First we need to get the OL stronger before thinking about running more...Right now as a unit they're putting up HS bench and squat numbers....that's not going to cut it!

Balance is nice, and I understand running early in a game to wear a defense down later, but I think you have to take what the defense is giving you. It also gets the QB in a rhythm if he's able to complete some easy passes on 1st down, as opposed to having to throw on obvious passing downs.

Run Pass ratio should reflect how you match up with an opponent's defense. You don't fight every battle with the same weapons.

Advertisement
I think you'd normally want a higher % of run plays because that means you're winning. Teams that fall behind a lot have to throw a lot. I also believe there's a fine line between making the opponent honor the run and banging your head against a wall. You can't abandon the run completely even if the opponent is totally selling out to stop it. Yes, you should definitely take advantage of the mismatches and throw against 8-9 guys in the box but you can't just throw every down. Maybe force them to respect the pass and then hammer them with the run later.

I think you'd normally want a higher % of run plays because that means you're winning. Teams that fall behind a lot have to throw a lot. I also believe there's a fine line between making the opponent honor the run and banging your head against a wall. You can't abandon the run completely even if the opponent is totally selling out to stop it. Yes, you should definitely take advantage of the mismatches and throw against 8-9 guys in the box but you can't just throw every down. Maybe force them to respect the pass and then hammer them with the run later.

All of this is true. Force them to respect the pass and then hammer the run later. We did the exact same thing in games this year against Pitt, Virginia, and NCST. Games in which I'm sure the Pass/Run ratio read something like 60/40 or 65/35 in favor of the pass through probably midway of the third quarter, and then the ratio evened out as running the ball was more prudent given the leads we had.

However, it seems that despite all the evidence this season gave us, Richt is still forcing his dream of us being a power run type of offense. We started the first 5 drives against WVA forcing the run and even to start the third quarter despite having closed out the half the way we did. We only scored a TD in the opening drive of the third after getting bailed out on a questionable pass interference on third and long after two negative run plays.

It's unbelievable how negative this offense can be at times. Richt's play calling is still a major worry IMO. He's chosen to burden himself with two jobs and he has delusions of what this offense's main strength is. I'm all for establishing the run, but until we have an OL to pull it off, we're playing to the weakness of our offense.

Last edited:

Why can't you throw every down? (if that's the best option)

That's what bubble throws are for, which is essentially just a perimeter run play.

I'd rather utilize the "quick game" (throwing short, quick passes) then bang our heads trying to run into 8-man boxes. That's just being stubborn.

Advertisement
There's this cliche misconception that running the ball wears out defenses. That belief was born in the days of 21 Personnel, power running games and simple passing attacks. It may still remain true for the select handful of teams that have the personnel on offense to physically bang defenders.

However, a true tempo spread attack will wear out a defense more effectively than a clock-eating run attack if it's efficient. (can't go 3 & out)

You get 230lb to 300lb box defenders running sideline to sideline chasing slot WR's and bubble screens (after rushing the QB) and you'll see how worn out they become. (quickly)

As a Linebacker I'd rather run downhill, bang a Fullback and then rest for 30 seconds than chase WR's and RB's all over the the field every 15 seconds. Any time you spread a defense out you make them run more. Anywhere from 4 to 6 players on that defense aren't huge fans of running but they have to in order to properly defend bubble screens, options, jet sweeps, RPO's, etc.

Besides, we're mainly a spread team now anyways. There's not TE or FB to bang and "wear out" defenders. It's all zone blocking.

Last edited:
There's this cliche misconception that running the ball wears out defenses. That belief was born in the days of 21 Personnel, power running games and simple passing attacks. It may still remain true for the select handful of teams that have the personnel on offense to physically bang defenders.

However, a true tempo spread attack will wear out a defense more effectively than a clock-eating run attack if it's efficient. (can't go 3 & out)

You get 230lb to 300lb box defenders running sideline to sideline chasing slot WR's and bubble screens (after rushing the QB) and you'll see how worn out they become. (quickly)

As a Linebacker I'd rather run downhill, bang a Fullback and then rest for 30 seconds than chase WR's and RB's all over the the field every 15 seconds. Any time you spread a defense out you make them run more. Anywhere from 4 to 6 players on that defense aren't huge fans of running but they have to in order to properly defend bubble screens, options, jet sweeps, RPO's, etc.

Besides, we're mainly a spread team now anyways. There's not TE or FB to bang and "wear out" defenders. It's all zone blocking.

The thing is, if you're running spread personnel, the defense is going to counter with nickle and dime personnel. You're not going to wear out the 180lb DBs chasing your slot receiver around the field. If you just want to throw it on every down, it completely eliminates any type of run responsibility for the d linemen. So the defense can just use it's four best pass rushers to get upfield as quickly as possible while playing six defensive backs behind them to chase receivers. There has to be some threat of a running game.

The thing is, if you're running spread personnel, the defense is going to counter with nickle and dime personnel. You're not going to wear out the 180lb DBs chasing your slot receiver around the field. If you just want to throw it on every down, it completely eliminates any type of run responsibility for the d linemen. So the defense can just use it's four best pass rushers to get upfield as quickly as possible while playing six defensive backs behind them to chase receivers. There has to be some threat of a running game.

1. LOL You read that whole post and found one thing you could contradict, personnel. Ok, so even if a team goes Nickle that's still 6 guys who are likely 230+. (I said "anywhere from 4 to 6 defenders) And if you go Dime that means you only have 5 run defenders in the box.

2. You're assuming that the defense KNOWS you're throwing every down. (which they don't) So how could they possibly put nothing but pass rushers on the field every play? Even if that was the case, you put in four pass rushers and have them go up the field every play then guess what that does? OPENS UP THE RUNNING GAME. (and screen game)

What's with the logic that spread = no threat of a running game?

Last edited:
Advertisement

1. LOL You read that whole post and found one thing you could contradict, personnel. Ok, so even if a team goes Nickle that's still 6 guys who are likely 230+. (I said "anywhere from 4 to 6 defenders) And if you go Dime that means you only have 5 run defenders in the box.

2. You're assuming that the defense KNOWS you're throwing every down. (which they don't) So how could they possibly put nothing but pass rushers on the field every play? Even if that was the case, you put in four pass rushers and have them go up the field every play then guess what that does? OPENS UP THE RUNNING GAME. (and screen game)

What's with the logic that spread = no threat of a running game?

You're the one who questioned why a team can't throw on every down. I was just commenting on that. I never said you can't run out of the spread either. My point is that you don't go for balance just to look at a stat sheet and say "wow, we got 50/50 run/pass balance". You do it to have a more well rounded offense that can attack any type of defense. We've all seen the one dimensional offenses that put up mega yards against bad teams struggle whenever they play a good defense. It's why guys like Mike Leach and Paul Johnson will never win a title. Nobody says you have to line up in a heavy set and run the ball into a 9 man front every down but you have to maintain the threat of a running game if you want to succeed.

It's not about ratio...it's about volume of runs per game...it yields higher TOP. Good teams are always on the plus side of both.

Exactly. I always look at number of rushing attempts, not in relation to pass attempts. The eventual outcome is very obvious once it's late first half or early second half and the number of rushing attempts is laughably low. Unfortunately the networks have done a poor job of focusing on that category, as opposed to yards per pass attempt when they have made some strides, particularly in NFL telecasts.

Those little flare passes look cute against vulnerable foes. I was impressed that Richt abused those throws in succession when the opponent was clueless to stop them. But we didn't exactly play a murderer's row schedule, despite the ACC's fine performance in bowl games.

If we return to elite tier the opponents in major games will wipe out those throws. Interior disruption and aggressive pass defense are the key to legitimacy in college football. Alabama isn't going to sit back and allow those pansy throws to waltz for first downs. You have to be able to run the ball in games like that. Ohio State held off Alabama two years ago with gashing runs up the interior deep in the fourth quarter.

I was very impressed with the quotes from Chris Petersen during the semifinal game. He understood that the frequent blue collar rushes against Alabama were absolutely necessary, even if they netted two yards or less. That's a coach with a championship level mindset. Even though he's known for gadget plays he understands the foundational correlations, unlike a moron like Mike Leach. Washington is still in its infancy under Petersen. The personnel isn't quite there. But the way he formatted that game plan kept Washington in the game. They needed to win the field position, turnover battle, and key 50/50 balls to spring the upset. Instead those categories went to Alabama.

Advertisement
Back