L UNC Run 53% Pass 47%
L VT Run 33% Pass 67%
L ND Run 40% Pass 60%
W Pitt Run 37% Pass 53%
W UVA Run 57% Pass 43%
W NCST Run 43% Pass 57%
W Duke Run 46% Pass 54%
W WVU Run 50% Pass 50%

Next Year with a new QB and the horses at RB. We should have Walton touch the football at least 20-25 times per game including catches. 20 Walton Runs and 5 catches per game would do him well. The backup RB could hopefully see about 10-15 touches per game. This allowing the new QB to settle in a bit. Hopefully the If we run 40-45 run plays per game. We can have our new QB attempt 20-25 passes per game unless the game require more from him.

What would you guys do as coach Richt for next year in regards to Run - Pass Percentages?

Advertisement
Couldn't disagree more. The games we lost was when Richt was in full on desperate mode to establish the run despite it never going to happen. Our OL cannot handle being a run first team. ****, App St stopped our run game this year for about 3 and a half quarters.

If our WR's next year are able to match the quality we had this year, we need to establish a passing game before anything else to give our running game a chance.

As coach Richt, I'd abandon the idea of "balance because balance for the sake of balance and balance."

Richt was at his best this year when he passed to setup the run. Early down passing seemed much more effective for Kaaya and the team. Richt did quite well when he identified a pass game vulnerability and kept hammering. At one point, we had to lead the nation in possessions to 3 and out percentage. We had an absurd amount of 3 and outs because we were going run-pass, pass-run, and get in tougher down and distance scenarios. Then, our QB couldn't quite keep plays alive long enough to convert 3rd downs.

On the opposite side, a game like UNC was bizarre in that we ran decently well at times, yet would go away from it to balance with the pass. Against UNC, our RBs averaged something like 4.6 yards/carry. Yearby averaged 7.4 yards/carry (42 yard run). He got less than half of the carries Walton received, even though Walton only ripped 3.4 yards/carry. There were a handful of times, especially early, where we drove the ball ok and ran the ball, yet it was abandoned to balance out with the passing game.

In short, I am incredibly opposed to "balance for the sake of balance." I wholly understand Richt's philosophy and I'm not saying it's illogical. But, I think that stuff works itself out over a season and you don't have to be so tight with it drive to drive or game to game. In fact, I think you saw Richt embrace that as the season went on and certainly over the last 3/4 of the bowl game.

I believe Richt would prefer to run to set up the pass but the offensive line struggled too much this year for that to work. The offense seemed to come alive when they scrapped that and started using the short passing game to open up lanes for the running game. Maybe not exactly how CMR wanted to do things but sometimes you have to alter your gameplan to suit the talent on hand.

Advertisement
And by all means do not scrap the shotgun formation...Turned out to be our best offensive set...

This team will be light years better next year.

It takes a full season, off season and new season to get it right.

Must have game film of Miami players running around. Must get the culture installed. Must run off the cancers.

Look at Saban's first year at LSU and then Bama vs. his second year.

Look at Urban's first year at UF vs. second year.

Look at Dabo's first year at Clem vs. second year.

The fact Richt was able to win 9 games this season after inheriting the worst coached football team in America under Golden is a miracle.

Advertisement
W FAMU Run 63% Pass 37%
W FAU Run 55% Pass 45%
W App State Run 52% Pass 48%
W GT Run 58% Pass 42%
L FSU Run 46% Pass 54%
L UNC Run 53% Pass 47%
L VT Run 33% Pass 67%
L ND Run 40% Pass 60%
W Pitt Run 37% Pass 53%
W UVA Run 57% Pass 43%
W NCST Run 43% Pass 57%
W Duke Run 46% Pass 54%
W WVU Run 50% Pass 50%

Next Year with a new QB and the horses at RB. We should have Walton touch the football at least 20-25 times per game including catches. 20 Walton Runs and 5 catches per game would do him well. The backup RB could hopefully see about 10-15 touches per game. This allowing the new QB to settle in a bit. Hopefully the If we run 40-45 run plays per game. We can have our new QB attempt 20-25 passes per game unless the game require more from him.

What would you guys do as coach Richt for next year in regards to Run - Pass Percentages?

Could you elaborate on the other 10%?

It's not about ratio...it's about volume of runs per game...it yields higher TOP. Good teams are always on the plus side of both.

I disagree, LU.

There is a difference between balance and setting a team up for a play.

A lot of the times Richt is actually trying to lull the defense to sleep, not just keep balance for the sake of balance.

Youre right. We ran pretty well against UNC and it allowed us to put together a drive where we play actioned UNC all the way down the field, and IIRC, kaaya missed a wide open NJOKU in the endzone.

Sticking with the run game isn't just for balance.

How can my playaction deep ball work in the 3rd quarter if I don't lead the defense to believe im really going to run the ball?

To think that Richt is like " well we ran two passes already, lets run two runs now." is absurd and and insult to his coaching acumen.

Advertisement
I think you guys all make great points on both sides of the discussion...

I'm in favor of doing what works based on the circumstances...

Sometimes, the run game ain't working for whatever reason, so you need to go 4-5 wide no huddle & throw the **** ball...

Sometimes, you need to hunker down & force your lineman to stop getting bullied to just go hat on hat and pound the rock...

What should always be the norm, is that whatever we do is well executed & unpredictable.

Sometimes, we need to start off a game with a Deep ball, or even a reverse just to force the Defense to give us a look at what they're doing so we can see how to attack them throughout the game.

We should never get to a point where everybody knows exactly what our first 15 plays will be, even if they're scripted, Defenses should always have to prepare with the worry of getting caught off guard.

I think the run game will be improved next year with a new QB in this system (whoever it may be) & more talent on the OL.

Yeah I like a balanced approach but it definitely seems like Richt does it just for the sake of doing it at times.
Need our OL to take a major step forward if we are going to roll with a Frosh QB.

Advertisement
As coach Richt, I'd abandon the idea of "balance because balance for the sake of balance and balance."

Richt was at his best this year when he passed to setup the run. Early down passing seemed much more effective for Kaaya and the team. Richt did quite well when he identified a pass game vulnerability and kept hammering. At one point, we had to lead the nation in possessions to 3 and out percentage. We had an absurd amount of 3 and outs because we were going run-pass, pass-run, and get in tougher down and distance scenarios. Then, our QB couldn't quite keep plays alive long enough to convert 3rd downs.

On the opposite side, a game like UNC was bizarre in that we ran decently well at times, yet would go away from it to balance with the pass. Against UNC, our RBs averaged something like 4.6 yards/carry. Yearby averaged 7.4 yards/carry (42 yard run). He got less than half of the carries Walton received, even though Walton only ripped 3.4 yards/carry. There were a handful of times, especially early, where we drove the ball ok and ran the ball, yet it was abandoned to balance out with the passing game.

In short, I am incredibly opposed to "balance for the sake of balance." I wholly understand Richt's philosophy and I'm not saying it's illogical. But, I think that stuff works itself out over a season and you don't have to be so tight with it drive to drive or game to game. In fact, I think you saw Richt embrace that as the season went on and certainly over the last 3/4 of the bowl game.

Totally agree. Our 3 and out against FBS teams was close to 30%. Our percentage of running plays of 0 or negative yards was approximately 20%. Both percentages are a little bit on the high side.

I disagree, LU.

A lot of the times Richt is actually trying to lull the defense to sleep, not just keep balance for the sake of balance.

Youre right. We ran pretty well against UNC and it allowed us to put together a drive where we play actioned UNC all the way down the field, and IIRC, kaaya missed a wide open NJOKU in the endzone.

How can my playaction deep ball work in the 3rd quarter if I don't lead the defense to believe im really going to run the ball?

To think that Richt is like " well we ran two passes already, lets run two runs now." is absurd and and insult to his coaching acumen.
I've never seen any coach at any level try and lull defenses to sleep by having their offense go three and out a higher percentage of the time than necessary. To rationalize Richt's calls as that is more of an insult, I think. I don't know what Richt's thought process is, but I can see his run-pass playcalls. And, at times this year, he seemed to be running for the sake of balance. Your playaction point is made weaker by the fact we don't run that much playaction. What looks like playaction to some is often RPO.

Or, are you insinuating that struggling to gain yardage by running somehow opened up the passing game against West Virginia, for example? I don't know why we treat coaches as if they're infallible. They're humans. They make mistakes. We can discuss them. It's not a big deal. I'm sure he's discussing issues and rectifying them as well.

I disagree, LU.

I've never seen any coach at any level try and lull defenses to sleep by having their offense go three and out a higher percentage of the time than necessary. To rationalize Richt's calls as that is more of an insult, I think. I don't know what Richt's thought process is, but I can see his run-pass playcalls. And, at times this year, he seemed to be running for the sake of balance. Your playaction point is made weaker by the fact we don't run that much playaction. What looks like playaction to some is often RPO.

Or, are you insinuating that struggling to gain yardage by running somehow opened up the passing game against West Virginia, for example? I don't know why we treat coaches as if they're infallible. They're humans. They make mistakes. We can discuss them. It's not a big deal. I'm sure he's discussing issues and rectifying them as well.

I don't mind calling a spade a spade, LU. I've stated many times that i wasn't happy with the offense.

I think a lot of the woes had more to do with personnel grouping than it did the playcalling overall. I don't think guys were in their proper positions and while you may call it an "excuse" I think Richt needed time to learn the players better.

We used a good amount of playaction earlier this season.

Go back and watch the UNC game we were actually under-center running playaction bootlegs with Kaaya.

On the drive where Kaaya missed Njoku in the endzone we literally playaction booted them from under center the ENTIRE way up the field.

Why? because UNC was keying on Marquez, expecting us to run the same old run play and we burned them until it was time to execute in the redzone.

I know the difference between a playaction bootleg ran from a tradition I from 12 personnel set and an RPO. Come on, LU. I'm no guru but you know **** well i know the difference.

I am a huge critic of coaches. I think its my forte.

Richt is the head man he will get the blame, i get that. Imo, Searels was the one who didn't have his best 5 on the field which was the biggest setback in the 4 game skid/ this season.

Those same play calls wouldn't be as much of a problem if the line was executing at the same level they were the last 5 games.

you could say its just as much Richts fault as Searels; and i wouldnt have much argument there.

I just disagree that Richt is out there calling plays just for the sake of balance.

I think richt called plays like he was at UGA with the stud RBs and hefty lines. That'd be great if that were the case, but our run game wasn't that imposing. Dude came out with the coker T way too many times this year.

Advertisement
Back