Rueben Bain (1.0 & 2.0) COMMITS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
View as article
there are a good number of large public universities in or near large cities.

UGA is 1.5hr from Atlanta.
UNC and NCSt - Raleigh.
UF is 1hr from jax.
UCF - Orlando.
Atm - 1.5hrs from Houston.
Texas - Austin
OU - Oklahoma City
Washington- Seattle
UCLA - LA
CU- Denver
Ole Miss- 1.5 to Memphis
OSU- Columbus
ND- 2hrs from Chicago
Michigan- 40 min to Detroit
Auburn is 1.5 to Atlanta.

Advertisement

UNC and NCSt - Raleigh.
UF is 1hr from jax.
UCF - Orlando.
Texas - Austin
OU - Oklahoma City
Washington- Seattle
UCLA - LA
CU- Denver
Ole Miss- 1.5 to Memphis
OSU- Columbus
ND- 2hrs from Chicago
1-2 hours is not close.

I get the gameday scene and the gameday atmospheres.

I attend some Clemson games, my wife is a grad. Family is season ticket holders. The entire Saturday is focused on the game and tailgating. My friends will get there at 8 AM, and leave at 9PM. It’s like the main event 7 Saturdays in the fall for home games. There is nothing from an entertainment aspect that tops those 7 game days, by far the biggest show in a 2 hour radius of the college town.

Here is the thing. Those atmospheres are 7 days out of 365. The other 350 plus days you aren’t playing football there isn’t much to do. I’ve known several former Clemson players talk about how boring it is. They would drive to Charlotte or Atlanta on weekends.

So both aspects in play. You have to decide what you want.

Other thing is if Miami is winning, you will get enough charged atmospheres at home. In 2017 Miami had 3 really good atmospheres at home. VT, ND, and UVA was 60K and loud environment. So if you are elite recruit, you help Miami get great, and then the home atmospheres will be better as a result. Later start games, etc…

Next year Miami gets Texas A&M and Clemson at home. With an off-season of hope built up these should be big atmospheres.
Agreed, living life in those small towns can be tough for some kids. I know a kid that went to OU, and he did not like living in Norman at all.

Agreed, living life in those small towns can be tough for some kids. I know a kid that went to OU, and he did not like living in Norman at all.
That isn’t due to Norman being a small town. OKC is 20-30 minutes away and a pretty large city. That was likely more to do with a big change in culture. A south Florida kid going to Lincoln or Norman will have a tough time. A tally kid going there, not so much.

Advertisement
It is to an 18yo in a new Dodge Charger.

Plus, depending on the time/day it will take you an hour to get to the beach from Gables or 2hrs to hit the Keys.
Even with a ”new Dodge Charger” do you know how much of a pain in the *** driving from Auburn to Atlanta just for the day? And you mention traffic in Miami but leave out traffic in those other drives. That drive down 290 from college station to Houston can easily turn into 3 hours. Kids are not looking at driving any distance to hang out in a big city. In my 4 years in Gainesville I went to Jacksonville once and it was because my fraternity chartered a bus. I don’t remember any of my friends leaving town to go hang out in Jacksonville. To Orlando to go to Universal? Yes but thats different then driving just to be in a big city.

Advertisement

UNC and NCSt - Raleigh.
UF is 1hr from jax.
UCF - Orlando.
Texas - Austin
OU - Oklahoma City
Washington- Seattle
UCLA - LA
CU- Denver
Ole Miss- 1.5 to Memphis
OSU- Columbus
ND- 2hrs from Chicago
Always argued this has to be the most aggressive sell.

Elite prospects get 6-7 home games per year x 3 years. Max 21 days out of your 1000+ days in college if you stay three years. Of those 21 games, 6 or so will be crap games that won’t matter. So 15 days out of 1,000+ you better LOVE that small *** town. And with NIL and the elite kids making six figures plus every year, the Oaks Mall in Gainesville and Steve Spurrier grill don’t hit the same way after a few visits haha
We have to stop thinking that these kids are looking for excitement and fun. We keep selling them that bs and then call them turncoats and sell outs when they leave to a small town that they can’t wait to get away from.

Check the receipts I’ve said that bs for a long time. I had to look at the big picture and see why Jeudy and smith did what they did and it’s not because they were drag racing hellcats in some long Alabama straightaway and going to frat keg parties.

Yes they’re still young college kids but elite players are built differently.

You just had Mario talk about Cam and how no matter when you come on campus he’s there working and watching film.
You think Cam came to UM for poon and partying?
You think Flo went to Oregon over Clemson because of Seattle?
These kids are focused and on a mission as opposed to JDub aka Smokey from Friday.

The elite kids want to be elite and will gravitate to tuskkaloosa because of the nfl and not because of nil.
Nil is to feed the fam while your sharpening that blade.

You think navy seals want to be on some ship watching movies and waiting for the next port to hit up some strip club?
Those dudes party sure but they are mostly training like a mthfcker and while the rest of the ship is gulping soda and Oreos.

Any kid who picks a school just cause nil is short sighted and should be looked at with caution.

Everyone knows about Miami and the beaches and weather and females.
But it should absolutely not be the thing we use as a recruiting tool any longer.
We keep getting talent but not the mindset and heart.

Streeter from caneville said one of the best young receivers he has ever seen was JT4. He said during 7 on 7 his release speed and routes were better than Jeudy.
But talent alone will get you a job at Saban motor works.
The relentless grind plus the talent will get you to the league as a day one pick.

UNC and NCSt - Raleigh.
UF is 1hr from jax.
UCF - Orlando.
Texas - Austin
OU - Oklahoma City
Washington- Seattle
UCLA - LA
CU- Denver
Ole Miss- 1.5 to Memphis
OSU- Columbus
ND- 2hrs from Chicago
Sorry, but that's true of about every large public university in the country. May be only a handful more than 2 hours from a major city.

Sorry, but that's true of about every large public university in the country. May be only a handful more than 2 hours from a major city.
Bama, Tenn, PSU, and Clemson are the top 15 programs that aren't near anything. It gets back to lifestyle for the kids. Some kids want to hunt and fish. Some want to hit the beach. Some want four seasons... Most of them want to WIN and get $$$.

Bama, Tenn, PSU, and Clemson are the top 15 programs that aren't near anything. It gets back to lifestyle for the kids. Some kids want to hunt and fish. Some want to hit the beach. Some want four seasons... Most of them want to WIN and get $$$.
even in podunk college towns, no one is really hunting and fishing. there are tons of bars w just college kids in there and dirt cheap where they live like kings.

Advertisement
even in podunk college towns, no one is really hunting and fishing. there are tons of bars w just college kids in there and dirt cheap where they live like kings.
I'll have to disagree on the "no one" is really hunting and fishing as I know a number of D1 kids that do.

The live like kings gets back to my point about $$$.

I'll have to disagree on the "no one" is really hunting and fishing as I know a number of D1 kids that do.

The live like kings gets back to my point about $$$.
a normal collge kid working a fast food restaruant can live it up in college towns. ****, even at UM, if oyu did one of the on campus jobs, youd make enough to have a weekend out in miami within reason. again, every kid wants diff things but to blast college towns as if theyre not fun and only miami cna be fun is not correct. when youre in your mid 20s, yes college towns blow. when youre 18-21, theyre fun esp since you know pretty mcuh everyone around campus and everything is geared towards the school.

a normal collge kid working a fast food restaruant can live it up in college towns. ****, even at UM, if oyu did one of the on campus jobs, youd make enough to have a weekend out in miami within reason. again, every kid wants diff things but to blast college towns as if theyre not fun and only miami cna be fun is not correct. when youre in your mid 20s, yes college towns blow. when youre 18-21, theyre fun esp since you know pretty mcuh everyone around campus and everything is geared towards the school.
And when you’re in your 40’s they rock again

will ferrell drinking GIF

Advertisement
Playing in the SEC could appeal to Bain and he loved the Tigers’ defensive performance this past weekend by virtually shutting down Texas A&M. There is one request though from the four-star defensive end: Keep Cadillac Williams as coach. He will see Auburn again in a few weeks at the Iron Bowl when the four-star visits Alabama.

“Keep coach Lac,” Bain said

Playing in the SEC could appeal to Bain and he loved the Tigers’ defensive performance this past weekend by virtually shutting down Texas A&M. There is one request though from the four-star defensive end: Keep Cadillac Williams as coach. He will see Auburn again in a few weeks at the Iron Bowl when the four-star visits Alabama.

“Keep coach Lac,” Bain said

Lol

Sure. Prepared to be disappointed on that one, Mr. Bain

Neither Columbus or Austin are college towns.
the phrase "college town" essentially has morphed into "small town with not **** to do" i.e. clemson, auburn, athens , etc.

austin and columbus are both in the top 15 biggest populated cities in the US.

our push back on fandom in miami is that it's a lively city and there's stuff to do. Sure Miami is different than Columbus but Columbus is MASSIVE.

the real issue we face in getting a true legit atmosphere is obviously an on campus stadium. That and the fact that we're private limits our fanbase signifcantly. a lot of college age fans arent going to drive to hard rock to watch the canes play when they go to FIU instead of paying $50k a year to attend miami

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back