Ruben Hyppolite Note

i get what your are saying, I would like for our staff to infuse the roster with more speed at some positions as well especially lbs.

All I’m saying is don’t make it a Flagg vs Hyppolite thing. The staff would have taken both Flowe and Green with everyone we have commited including Flagg. They could have easily pursued Hyppolite as well and taken him in the same scenario. They didn’t like something about him I guess,no need to bash a kid that we got because of their evals.
We don’t need to bash flagg but the comparison is unavoidable. And the issue with hyppolite isn’t just they saw something they didn’t like. You don’t know that. They deluded themselves chasing two kids who this whole board knew weren’t coming. And got left with their **** in their hands because they didn’t recruit properly.

Advertisement
So based on your logic, the guys the nfl draft in the 1st round are always better than the guys that get drafted in the later rounds, or later, ok i got you!
Sorry man, you’d not doing well in this discussion. Based on your response, you do not seem to know what logic is.

You are the one who invented the excuse that Spence would have been drafted higher if he’d played on a better team, despite obscure LBs from random schools having been drafted ahead of him in that very draft. And despite other Miami kids from worse teams being drafted higher in other drafts.

Now you’re flailing and trying to turn this into some categorical misstatement I am making. It won’t work. I never said the NFL always gets it right. Most importantly, because that wasn’t even what we were discussing. There would have been no reason to say that. And, secondly, because no sane person thinks any uncertain decision is always right. If you’re going to try to spin and twist to deflect, do a better job of it.

Also, if you just look, there are FOUR pro bowl LBs this year from the same draft as Spence. Chandler Jones, Luke Kuechly and Dont’a Hightower were all taken in the first round, and Bobby Wagner was taken in the second. All ahead of Spence. Because the the NFL is pretty good at what it does. Wager went to Utah State. He had a lot less profile there than Spence did at Miami. The NFL identified him.

Also, Lavonte David has been better than Spence in the NFL, and he was better than him in college, too. David was 2x first team all american at Nebraska. All big 12 in ‘10 and all big 10 in ‘11 (and big ten LB of the year). In the NFL he has been first team all pro once and second team all pro once. (David was drafted ahead of Spence, despite playing on a bad NB team.)

Listen, if you tell me guys like Marcus Rosemy and others are too expensive for Miami. Cool. We on a Ford budget over here and he's a Porsche. Same if you want to extend to guys like Big Doom, TJB and other high priced ticket items in South Florida. There are plenty of those.

But guys like Ruben Hyppolite, Marlon Martinez, Isaiah Walker (surely got paid, but we botched his recruiting anyway), among others in the tri-county area are the reason why we suck. Its not them in isolation...classes are hardly ever made or broken by one or two players you didn't get...but its just a wholesale lack of evaluation skill and lack of recruiting/people skills to get these guys in the mix.

Way too late to the party and way too wishy washy on their recruitment early in the process on most local guys. We are also very tone deaf to where we are with other "top guys" and we are way too accommodating to players taking visits, etc. It doesn't help that the staffs at this school, because they stink, always have an antagonistic relationship with the recruiting media. Should be using the media to disseminate information about dropped offers, visits, etc. You gotta stop letting children clown you. You are adults, you should always have the higher ground. That isn't to say the occasional Romello Height won't happen, but who cares about Romello Height when you've got a ton of other rock solid players on the roster that you've harvested genuine relationships with, etc.

Like, we don't even need to worry about Flowe or Keyshawn Green if we had guys like Hyppolite committed since the summer. We're not out here flailing our arms for offensive lineman if we get on some local Cuban OL already committed to the class. We're not out here *** out at WR if we keep some of the local kids home. Like, how does Miami have such a weak DB class...its f'n South Florida. How are they not truly in the mix for Tae Williams or Ronald Delancy. We get way too picky. Since when did we become too good for Samuel Anaele, RD3, Fleming, Parrish, etc. Like...we ain't better than Pitt and Nebraska. We need to stop this nonsense, its silly.

Agree to disagree....either he never plays here and transfers or people will complain about him imo. I just think he gives up on plays and speed is worse then Shaq. In getting that from a game I saw on ESPN
He's good when u run right into him but he gets beat easily on the outside. Also in coverage he won't do well.....he has good lateral movements in the crowd though that's why he makes alot of tackles when guys run inside.

Agreed with this. I'm on skeptical on Flagg as his measurables don't match up to what a Miami LB should. You need quickness at the position. The ability to diagnose plays at the HS level is great and all, but that's something you can be coached up to do which Flagg can already do. The problem with Flag compared to Hyppolite is that the next level speeds up and he doesn't have the speed thus far. Meanwhile, Hyppolite just needs to be coached up. The athleticism is already there.

Advertisement
You’re a positive hopeful dude, obviously. And I respect that. But if you think just naming kids on our roster makes us stacked at LB, wow. Jennings, Steed and Joyner? Either you forget what stacked meant or you’re hopeful beyond belief. I don’t see Bermuda Triangle level kids there. Hopefully brooks and huff develop, but hope ain’t a strategy.

Jennings - Often injured and hasn't shown much promise.
Steed - People have said he's the real deal, but had two major knee injuries
Joyner - More injured if anything.

This is not Miami quality right now. A lot of hope coming out of those 3. Steed's the biggest disappointment simply because he's been plagued by injuries and seems to have the higher ceiling of all our LBs sans Huff and Brooks.

You’re optimistic. I’m skeptical until I see it. All fans overrate their own team’s talent, and Miami fans do it as much as anyone.

Was Spence the best LB we had seen in a while at UM? He was very good, but when we were recruiting him, Beason was on the team, and we had just seen Rocky McIntosh a year prior, and Vilma and DJ Williams a couple years prior. Dan Morgan and Nate Webster weren’t so far in history at that time. And McCarthy and Gooden were on the team also. (Sharpton and Adkins too.)

That was when we had real pro talent on greentree.

This post depressed the **** out of me. Because it made me realize how bad LB play has been the last several years.

The linebackers on this team are just guys.

The linebackers with potential to be more than JAGs have had some serious injuries in their careers and haven't quite lived up to their billing. We've played Shaq and Pinckney nearly every down for four years and no one has really stepped up. McCloud has been a bust by every definition. The lack of linebackers stepping up led us to creating this cornball striker position just to get the "best 11" on the field.

Miami, Florida and FSU all sent coaches to watch him and none were impressed enough to give him an offer. On paper seems like a great prospect not sure what about him they didn’t like

Advertisement
We don’t need to bash flagg but the comparison is unavoidable. And the issue with hyppolite isn’t just they saw something they didn’t like. You don’t know that. They deluded themselves chasing two kids who this whole board knew weren’t coming. And got left with their **** in their hands because they didn’t recruit properly.

I disagree the comparison is avoidable we don't know that it was an ultimatum to take Flagg or Hyppolite. If we would have landed Flowe or Green no one would be arguing that we passed on Hyppolite and comparing him to those 2. Who is to say he won't or wouldn't have ended up being the better player here over them. And I said I guess they saw a reason to pass on him.

The analogy that was posted earlier regarding Jaquan Johnson to Flagg was a great example of how this could turn out. I'm sure there were several guys with better measurables than Johnson but he balled out anyway.

All I am saying is none of us know how Flagg will turn out here, give the kid a chance a few years to develop and write his own story.

I disagree the comparison is avoidable we don't know that it was an ultimatum to take Flagg or Hyppolite. If we would have landed Flowe or Green no one would be arguing that we passed on Hyppolite and comparing him to those 2. Who is to say he won't or wouldn't have ended up being the better player here over them. And I said I guess they saw a reason to pass on him.

The analogy that was posted earlier regarding Jaquan Johnson to Flagg was a great example of how this could turn out. I'm sure there were several guys with better measurables than Johnson but he balled out anyway.

All I am saying is none of us know how Flagg will turn out here, give the kid a chance a few years to develop and write his own story.
Thats like saying ‘if I would have won the lottery, no one would be saying that an education is important.’

The problem with your ‘woulda’ is everyone with a brain and some experience knew we weren’t landing those kids. They were lotto. That is the point. Manny and his staff of amateurs fell for the classic rookie blunder. If they just read this board and were less naive and arrogant, they’d have known.

Hence the comparison to Flagg. They evaluated and took Flagg, not Hyppolite, and compounded the neg on Hyppolite by failing on kids who weren’t coming here and having no back up plans when we have major needs at LB.

Manny botched this - pure and simple.

Agreed with this. I'm on skeptical on Flagg as his measurables don't match up to what a Miami LB should. You need quickness at the position. The ability to diagnose plays at the HS level is great and all, but that's something you can be coached up to do which Flagg can already do. The problem with Flag compared to Hyppolite is that the next level speeds up and he doesn't have the speed thus far. Meanwhile, Hyppolite just needs to be coached up. The athleticism is already there.
Facts that's what I'm saying

Sorry man, you’d not doing well in this discussion. Based on your response, you do not seem to know what logic is.

You are the one who invented the excuse that Spence would have been drafted higher if he’d played on a better team, despite obscure LBs from random schools having been drafted ahead of him in that very draft. And despite other Miami kids from worse teams being drafted higher in other drafts.

Now you’re flailing and trying to turn this into some categorical misstatement I am making. It won’t work. I never said the NFL always gets it right. Most importantly, because that wasn’t even what we were discussing. There would have been no reason to say that. And, secondly, because no sane person thinks any uncertain decision is always right. If you’re going to try to spin and twist to deflect, do a better job of it.

Also, if you just look, there are FOUR pro bowl LBs this year from the same draft as Spence. Chandler Jones, Luke Kuechly and Dont’a Hightower were all taken in the first round, and Bobby Wagner was taken in the second. All ahead of Spence. Because the the NFL is pretty good at what it does. Wager went to Utah State. He had a lot less profile there than Spence did at Miami. The NFL identified him.

Also, Lavonte David has been better than Spence in the NFL, and he was better than him in college, too. David was 2x first team all american at Nebraska. All big 12 in ‘10 and all big 10 in ‘11 (and big ten LB of the year). In the NFL he has been first team all pro once and second team all pro once. (David was drafted ahead of Spence, despite playing on a bad NB team.)

Ok, so to keep it simplefor you, who had a better college career, spence or rocky mcintosh! You keep acting as if scouts always get picks right, lol, its okay if the stats dont agree with you!

Advertisement
Thats like saying ‘if I would have won the lottery, no one would be saying that an education is important.’

The problem with your ‘woulda’ is everyone with a brain and some experience knew we weren’t landing those kids. They were lotto. That is the point. Manny and his staff of amateurs fell for the classic rookie blunder. If they just read this board and were less naive and arrogant, they’d have known.

Hence the comparison to Flagg. They evaluated and took Flagg, not Hyppolite, and compounded the neg on Hyppolite by failing on kids who weren’t coming here and having no back up plans when we have major needs at LB.

Manny botched this - pure and simple.

In every so called "lottery scenario" that you want to play out Flagg was already committed so he was here regardless of how the other 3 scenarios played out. My point still stands no comparison or bashing of the kid is needed.

If the comparison's are warranted why stop with the Flagg vs Hyppolite? Why not Flemming vs Worsham or Restrepo or Redding? The numbers say he faster than all 3, just saying.

The option to take them all could have been a valid one if the staff deemed it so (and they committed), posters make stuff up like it was an ultimatum.

In every so called "lottery scenario" that you want to play out Flagg was already committed so he was here regardless of how the other 3 scenarios played out. My point still stands no comparison or bashing of the kid is needed.
Tjey chose to take his commitment. They chose not to go hard after the other kid. That’s on them. That’s the point.

If the comparison's are warranted why stop with the Flagg vs Hyppolite? Why not Flemming vs Worsham or Restrepo or Redding? The numbers say he faster than all 3, just saying.
I didn’t tell you to stop anywhere. When assessing recruiting, it’s fair to ask all your questions. But this thread is about Hyppolite.

Advertisement
Back