Rpo slant

jackedaround

Junior
Seems to me we ran this a ton. Perhaps too much.

Maybe some were just slant routes. Teams sat on these last few weeks and dared us to do something different. Yet we kept coming back to it. Maybe I am wrong but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Another poster had a rant mentioning when it failed throw the slant. Ridiculous how spot on it was. Its hard to get open when they know where you're going.

giphy.gif

Butch Davis prepared his defense well for this and , hence, the pics. Once Jarren was shook it was curtains.
I spoke of this in a private chat with my buddies....I said the minute someone takes that slant away we will be in trouble. The following week we played FIU and the first throw was an RPO slant and FIU got the pick. It was over right there cause they put Jarren in a shell

Advertisement
Advertisement
duke game
Answer to that is make more plays on the outside vs man 1 coverage with a robber, either as the SS, or LB sitting in the hole. which is generally the only coverage that can successfully combat a RPO call..I saw a couple counters Enos went to. He tried a wheel route behind a RPO look that was open but jarren threw a poor ball. The other time was a deep dig to wiggins that was broken up

When was the last time we attempted a bubble screen? You would think with our o line struggles we would try it more but ofc Penos’ playbook were full of ink blobs.

Advertisement
Seems to me we ran this a ton. Perhaps too much.

Maybe some were just slant routes. Teams sat on these last few weeks and dared us to something different. Yet we kept coming back to it. Maybe I am wrong but what do you guys think?

Almost as bad as the strange slow-developing pitches to Robert Burns this past week and so many first and second down runs that went nowhere.

When you have success with certain plays, you better be ready to build off that. Defenses will adjust, as FIU’s did after UL.

I haven’t really seen Enos build off success this year, part of which could be the lack of success to build off of, but that’s a whole other issue.

Could have shown the same formation we normally run RPO out of and do PA instead with a slant and go (Sluggo). Just one of many ways to further develop the offense.

Advertisement
When you have success with certain plays, you better be ready to build off that. Defenses will adjust, as FIU’s did after UL.

I haven’t really seen Enos build off success this year, part of which could be the lack of success to build off of, but that’s a whole other issue.

Could have shown the same formation we normally run RPO out of and do PA instead with a slant and go (Sluggo). Just one of many ways to further develop the offense.
Sluggos has been available all season!!!

Enos rpo is the simple zone read with slants but there’s also other types of rpo. If y’all want a deep dive into here’s the link: https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/7338/run-pass-option-resources-for-offense-and-defense
Dan Enos said in a interview that he learned the RPO scheme from his time at Alabama and that it opened up a entire new world to him! I am telling you guys that this guy is a Dinosaur! Sad to say but this guy needs to go coach at Iowa !

The pick 1st vs FIU the RPO slant was open..FIUs defender who was running to the flat got away with a clear illegal contact..there is not much variation of routes you can run in RPOs..inside smash, slant, bang 8 is about it

Bigger issue with that play is that Jeff Thomas was running a wheel route under the Wiggins slant and was WIDE OPEN !!!!!!!!

Thomas would've been one on one with the single high safety on that play who was all the way in the middle of the field.

Advertisement
Back