RPO and the Run Game

BostonCanes47

Senior
It’s absolutely mind boggling how vanilla our run game is. It’s all RPO based. **** is incredibly dumb because yeah it freezes the corner / nickel, but when you don’t actually throw the pass off it, it Ts up the linebackers..especially when the pass option is a screen.

It’s an extremely easy read as a linebacker. The Quarterback is showing you the ball. Plus it results in zero play action game.

Look at how Travis ran his play action. Notice his back is turned to the defense…hiding the ball. I’m pointing this out because it creates more confusion for a defense vs what we’ve been doing. It challenges the defense more vs consistently showing them where the balling is going.

Now look at how we run our RPOs. It’s not even a real “option” based on the fact we’ve thrown it once or twice and FSU adjusted to it with man 2. It’s slowing down the run game. It’s not a bang bang handoff. If you’re worried about nickels and corners making tackles in the run game. Do what Tennessee was doing last year and widen the splits to the sideline.

The way we are running and leaning on the RPO is killing this offense.

Attachments

• IMG_9040.png
    IMG_9040.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9041.png
    IMG_9041.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9042.png
    IMG_9042.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9043.png
    IMG_9043.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9044.png
    IMG_9044.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9045.png
    IMG_9045.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9046.png
    IMG_9046.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9047.png
    IMG_9047.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Advertisement
Caveman football
I wouldn’t even call it caveman…it’s just idiotic. We would be better off running pro style caveman football over what we are currently doing.

Poorly run RPO. Eliminating PA game. Zero substance to run game outside of these RPs.

I don’t understand why they can’t mix it up and why they feel the need to rely on it so much. It’s killing us.

It’s absolutely mind boggling how vanilla our run game is. It’s all RPO based. **** is incredibly dumb because yeah it freezes the corner / nickel, but when you don’t actually throw the pass off it, it Ts up the linebackers..especially when the pass option is a screen.

It’s an extremely easy read as a linebacker. The Quarterback is showing you the ball. Plus it results in zero play action game.

Look at how Travis ran his play action. Notice his back is turned to the defense…hiding the ball.

Now look at how we run our RPOs. It’s not even a real option. It’s slowing down the run game. It’s not a bang bang handoff. If you’re worried about nickels and corners making tackles in the run game. Do what Tennessee was doing last year and widen the splits to the sideline.

Nice screenshots. I'm confused about comparing a QB's body position for play action vs RPO re Travis' body vs UM QBs.

When it comes to hiding the ball, I thought the pecking order was PA <- read option <- RPO

Advertisement
Nice screenshots. I'm confused about comparing a QB's body position for play action vs RPO re Travis' body vs UM QBs.

When it comes to hiding the ball, I thought the pecking order was PA <- read option <- RPO
You’re correct. I pointed out what Travis was doing and hiding the ball on PA because that’s what I want Miami to do.

When you’re running RPO the whole time, you can’t run play action off of it…it’s different footwork, body position, timing like you pointed out and at that point it’s just taking the pass option. The reads wouldn’t be the same for the defense between an RPO and true play action…so you’re not setting anything up by living with the RPO. By living and dying by RPO it limited us.

Ideally you run all five, RPO pass option, RPO run option, read option (obviously we can’t given our personnel), run, play action. You confuse the defense with similar and multiple reads out of the same formation…less predictable.

Right now we are running one. RPO run.

Last edited:
But you know... If we get this coverage / single high look and cant even pull it back and complete a pass (much less get a big play)? And on top of that your getting good protection. Most teams would salivate at that proposition but we cant seem to shake a guy lose or throw an accurate ball.

1699898885852.png

But you know... If we get this coverage / single high look and cant even pull it back and complete a pass (much less get a big play)? And on top of that your getting good protection. Most teams would salivate at that proposition but we cant seem to shake a guy lose or throw an accurate ball.

View attachment 265889
Pretty sure there is another safety behind the ref that we can’t see. I count 10 on FSU and they were in 2 high safeties playing cover 2 man most of the night.

But yes your point still stands. Wish we attacked the middle of the field more with crossing routes

Look at how Travis ran his play action. Notice his back is turned to the defense…hiding the ball. I’m pointing this out because it creates more confusion for a defense vs what we’ve been doing. It challenges the defense more vs consistently showing them where the balling is going.

Now look at how we run our RPOs. It’s not even a real “option” based on the fact we’ve thrown it once or twice and FSU adjusted to it with man 2. It’s slowing down the run game. It’s not a bang bang handoff. If you’re worried about nickels and corners making tackles in the run game. Do what Tennessee was doing last year and widen the splits to the sideline.

**** me, I'd have spent the night in a Tally whorehouse to have a slant and go or a double move off one of these.

Advertisement

View attachment 265889
Thats a 5 man box, thats a run call ALL DAY.. Which is what we did in 1st half to some good success, problem is FSU adjusted 2nd half dropping a safety late and we had no counter punch.. We basically did nothing 2nd half, I dont even think we ran a play on their side of field outside of onside kick try.. We were essentially dead in water once they stopped 5 man box, or even worse we played #84 more than Brashard 2nd half which means we were better off spiking the ball that play

The one time we actually could have successfully executed the RPO was the 4th and goal against NCState. Young was wide open in the endzone. Of course we still cave manned it up the middle and got stuffed.

I wouldn’t even call it caveman…it’s just idiotic. We would be better off running pro style caveman football over what we are currently doing.

Poorly run RPO. Eliminating PA game. Zero substance to run game outside of these RPs.

I don’t understand why they can’t mix it up and why they feel the need to rely on it so much. It’s killing us.
It’s actually a slap in the face of a caveman

Advertisement
Back