Roundup on Stephen Morris post-Senior Bowl - NOT PRETTY

CaneBoss

Bossman
Basically the same stuff we heard all year. After he won that Manning (?) passing camp in the offseason, his hype got out of control. Some people even threw around 'late first round.' Have to wonder if the W/L record looks a bit different with an elite QB this past season.

@NEPD_Loyko (New England Patriots and NFL Draft Analyst. - Editor of : http://NEPatriotsDraft.com): Stephen Morris isn't draftable in my opinion.

@RobRang (Senior NFL Draft Analyst for http://NFLDraftScout.com) Despite reports stating otherwise, North QBs - Tajh Boyd, Stephen Morris, Logan Thomas - were inaccurate, ineffective all wk

Bucky Brooks - NFL Network Media analyst
Buzz-kill
The quarterbacks on the North squad (Miami's Stephen Morris; Clemson's Tajh Boyd and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas) didn't leave a favorable lasting impression on NFL scouts with their play in the Senior Bowl. Each signal caller struggled to find his rhythm within the pocket, and their inconsistencies prevented the North team from moving the ball down the field. Watching Morris, in particular, I was disappointed with his lack of accuracy and ball placement. He repeatedly missed open receivers at intermediate range, and tossed a pair of interceptions in the fourth quarter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ord-princetons-caraun-reid-stellar-on-defense

Josh Norris (NFL Draft Analyst for Rotoworld)

6. (OF 6) Stephen Morris, Miami - I am not upset, I am just disappointed. Morris regressed this season rather than taking the jump many of us expected. He is undraftable. That might be a surprise coming from someone who was hyping up Morris before the season, but he is solely a vertical passer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46106/351/norris-senior-bowl-review

Advertisement
Meh, nothing new here. He is what he is, we all know that. He is an Al Davis special. "Let's get verticle!" The sad thing is that ol Al ain't around anymore, to take him in the later rounds of the draft.

Feel bad for Stephen that he just either wasn't coached up or it didn't take, and that his confidence suffered in the process over the past couple years.

Al played Morris since he was a senior due to the Shapiro mess. Al should have made the seniors win the position on the field instead of by class rank. Ryan Williams will have a much better senior year than Stephen Morris.

Advertisement
Al played Morris since he was a senior due to the Shapiro mess. Al should have made the seniors win the position on the field instead of by class rank. Ryan Williams will have a much better senior year than Stephen Morris.

I'd like not to, but I agree with you. I think Gold didn't necessarily play the best players this past season. I was impressed with what I saw of Williams. Not sure about much better, but I think Ryan can have a better year than Morris. Less TO's, in my book, will be a better season.

Kid had no business being offered a scholarship here, let alone be the only guy available on the roster.

On Morris...

His best shot would be to go undrafted and somehow end up with Fisch in Jacksonville.

I like the direction/play-calling for Morris at the end of the year in '13 and it looks like Fisch has been the only one that's tapped into SloMo's skill set.

Advertisement
He was the ringleader of smiles and ice cream. Now it's being exposed. Baby Jesus time

Yeah.......
Now we arent professional scouts or anything like that but just trust your eyes gentlemen, at this point you have watched enough football in your life. Everyone should have expected this coming. Dont get worked up over pre season hype, the previous year they had Logan Thomas as a possible top 5 pick.......

Advertisement
He really was horrible this year. i mean theres nothing left to say. he really messed up our season this year. im glad he got his degree because nfl is not in his future.

Anyone who has watched football at the high school and college level for any length of time should know that ANY OTHER QB on our roster, including walk-on's could play the position better. There's more to the position than how you make some of the throws.

The notion that he played because "he gave us the best chance to win" is silly groupthink that denies reality. Many of us who have followed football for a time are aware of practice studs who are worthless on game day and we know of guys who rise to the occasion when it counts for real.

Anyone who has watched football at the high school and college level for any length of time should know that ANY OTHER QB on our roster, including walk-on's could play the position better. There's more to the position than how you make some of the throws.

The notion that he played because "he gave us the best chance to win" is silly groupthink that denies reality. Many of us who have followed football for a time are aware of practice studs who are worthless on game day and we know of guys who rise to the occasion when it counts for real.

I hear you ... but I sure haven't seen anything special from RW.

Advertisement
It's funny how stuff swings. Below (in bold) is what I said before the season in a now infamous thread. Now I think things may be swinging too far to the other extreme. Isn't

I'm sorry, I think some of that scouting is "seeing what I want to see" or "scout talk." Did that guy really just call
StephenMorris a rhythm passer with great anticipation? Even the biggest Morris supporters here acknowledge those as areas for improvement. In fact, that's what will make Morris jump to the next level.

Would be interested in seeing those comments substantiated by actual plays. He's sub-par on crossing routes that are not pre-determined (requiring touch), he's subpar on fade routes (is there even a debate here?) and he was sub-par over the middle. All of those are areas that require anticipation.

Remember, QBs play football with pads on and against a pass rush. Please don't note anticipation or "rhythm" out of a passing camp.

Here's the thread:http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/52108-What-do-you-think-is-Stephen-Morris-s-ceiling/page5

Last edited:
On Morris...

His best shot would be to go undrafted and somehow end up with Fisch in Jacksonville.

I like the direction/play-calling for Morris at the end of the year in '13 and it looks like Fisch has been the only one that's tapped into SloMo's skill set.

As a Jaguars fan, let me just say...

489.gif

I hear you ... but I sure haven't seen anything special from RW.

I appreciate your honest response, but we have a huge body of evidence on Morris and very little on Williams, not to mention the others. How bad could they be compared to SM when almost, perhaps every QB we faced appeared more competent.

I've posted before that Don Shula pulled Bob Griese in a game when he was ineffective, I think this is a smarter coaching more to motivate and to prevent meltdown of a QB than to continue down the path of failure. In Morris' case it was worth the look at Williams. Keep in mind that "nothing special" is very likely to be billed as the "guy who gives us the best chance to win" this year.

The popular premise is that Williams "could not beat out Morris." A sub-premise, as I see it, is that Williams would suffer some kind of meltdown based on what, one game? My answer to that is: "What Morris never had more than one meltdown?" We can disagree all day long, but we really don't know because few--if any--of us did not consistently attend practices and there is not enough comparative game performance evidence to fairly compare.

(edit: meltdown might be an inaccurate term, because M was more often just incapable on third down, hence no meltdown)

it could be equally argued that it's group-think to assume Ryan Williams will play better than Morris. I'm hopeful he'll be better, bc he appears to throw a catchable ball, and from his limited experience seems to read the defense and adjust.

But, I don't buy this nonsense that Golden would risk his career purely out of some perceived loyalty to seniors.

Advertisement
Back