Roster changes 2011-2014

Qb looks to be an upgrade
Rb - maybe an upgrade. Lamar miller and MJ were solid. Yearby will need to ball for it to be a major upgrade
Wr- major upgrade.
OL - push
TE - major upgrade
DE-upgrade. Especially if chad is who we think he is.
DT - worse. This is scary
LB - should be an upgrade. Still have to see it, though.
CB- major major upgrade
Safety - LOL. 2011 turned out to be an abomination

QB- so two freshmen and senior qb who couldn't beat out the second strife qb in 2011 is an upgrade. An upgrade over two career top 5 passers at UM

RB- give me Lamar miller and mike James over duke and a bunch of unproven guys.

WR- So If I'm not mistaken we are missing streeter and TBen on that roster. With that said 2011 is still better TBen, streeter, Hurns and Byrd is better than coley alone.

TE- don't know how it can be an upgrade. Again unproven talent. Plus I think it's a fail on staff cause someone chase ford is playing in NFL and didn't do anything here.

DE- 2011 all those guys were good pass rushers and getting to the QB. None of the current guys have really proven anything. I personally think its coaching but until they prove that they could match those guys production 2011 again.

DT- no comment!

LB- personally think spence and perrymen outweigh this whole group.

CB. 2014

SS- hard to say. ESP since these guys were good before the current staff got here. Both guys were all ACC. Push.

Advertisement
Rb - maybe an upgrade. Lamar miller and MJ were solid. Yearby will need to ball for it to be a major upgrade
Wr- major upgrade.
OL - push
TE - major upgrade
CB- major major upgrade

QB- so two freshmen and senior qb who couldn't beat out the second strife qb in 2011 is an upgrade. An upgrade over two career top 5 passers at UM

WR- So If I'm not mistaken we are missing streeter and TBen on that roster. With that said 2011 is still better TBen, streeter, Hurns and Byrd is better than coley alone.

TE- don't know how it can be an upgrade. Again unproven talent. Plus I think it's a fail on staff cause someone chase ford is playing in NFL and didn't do anything here.

DE- 2011 all those guys were good pass rushers and getting to the QB. None of the current guys have really proven anything. I personally think its coaching but until they prove that they could match those guys production 2011 again.

DT- no comment!

CB. 2014

SS- hard to say. ESP since these guys were good before the current staff got here. Both guys were all ACC. Push.
with all due respect you are insanely high if you think that the 11 core of wide receivers is better than this one. Also Duke>Lamar Miller. Edwards, Yearby > the group behind Miller. You dont see an upgrade in Bush, Carter, Jenkins,Crawford and Hester over that pedestrian group of 2011? Granted many of the current safeties are young and unproven but based on talent they are Miami caliber unlike the 2011 group.

Last edited:
Definitely much better talent and depth in the secondary. Also the depth at DE is much better now.

The big question mark i STILL see on this team is depth at LB. I said it last year, and Im still saying it, and its not an excuse for Dorito, but losing EJ, Paul, and Terry REALLY devastated our LB depth. Im happy as **** DP is back, and hoping for good things from Figs and Kirby this year, but behind them, Im sweating it. Owens has ALL WORLD potential, but is very young. Grace is REALLY thin, will probably work more in pass coverage but he's not ready to stuff holes and crash the LOS. I have not heard much to think Juwon Young is ready to make any kind of impact.

This team definitely has talent at almost every position, what is still uncertain is depth, and how our QB and OL situation is going to develop. Also curious to see how ready Duke and Yearby are going to be.

Agree, we are paper thin. My opinion, but I think McCord can play SLB and Armbrister has a lot of burn to help. What happen to Blue?

Advertisement
Wr- major upgrade.
OL - push
TE - major upgrade
CB- major major upgrade

DT- no comment!

CB. 2014

with all due respect you are insanely high if you think that the 11 core of wide receivers is better than this one. Also Duke>Lamar Miller. Edwards, Yearby > the group behind Miller. You dont see an upgrade in Bush, Carter, Jenkins,Crawford and Hester over that pedestrian group of 2011? Granted many of the current safeties are young and unproven but based on talent they are Miami caliber unlike the 2011 group.

That 2011 group also included Dorsett, Scott and Hurns who were not ahead of T3 and Streeter... Outside of Coley and Dorsey our wideouts are unproven... 2011 is better... As for the qb position the 2nd and 3rd passers all-time in the school records is better than a back up qb and two freshmen... Duke is better than Miller but our unit as a whole was better in 2011 and Miller running for almost 1300 yards can't be overlooked... That's still the best season for a back since Willis...

As for our safety's it's a wait and see... We have better athletes but both Telemaque and Ray were recognized by the ACC... Ray being a 2nd team all conference as a sophomore... We haven't had production from the safety position since then... Funny thing is Busg reminds if Ray but faster... Good tackler but struggles in coverage... It's a wait and see... Can't say it's better yet... Of course corner is better because we only had like 1 true corner who was a 4th rounder... Corner is an upgrade... I like Howard, I'm not a big fan of Gunter but He's better Mike Williams and I think he'll have a similar career as McGee once he's finish... I likd what I saw last year in spurts from Burns as well...

Too be honest we upgraded some positions but we took a step back in others 2011 had better qb's, oline , d-line, TE, and lbs... They also had more production from their safety's and backs as unit prior to that season than we have seen here... I like 2011 wideout group as unit because it include 3 of our top 4 wideouts from the past 2 years along with productive players like T3, TS and Byrd... However, Coley is a "bad man" and Dorsett is that "dude" along with Scott... We'll be fine with those 3 but we had more weapons then because of depth...

Want to apologize for the inconsistencies in the 2011 roster - was going primarily off (rapidly failing) memory and a quick glance at hurricanesports.com. My bad, and thanks for the corrections!

Some good discussion here - keep it going.

2014 two deep over the 2011 two deep all day every day and twice on Sunday.

So much mental midgetry on that 2011 squad.

2014 two deep over the 2011 two deep all day every day and twice on Sunday.

So much mental midgetry on that 2011 squad.

Advertisement
That 2011 roster is not correct first of all. And let's not forget that 2011 roster defense was coming off a good 2010 defensive year. Top 5 in sacks and tfl. Number 2 in pass defense.

Delusional if you guys think this team is better. ESP since all the unknowns of this squad ie qb, oline, and the entire defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTtGHXicnY

Word, the 2011 defense was a veritable fortress up front

For the board's perusal and discussion, I'd like to point out some of the offensive and defensive roster from 2011 and 2014. Talk about whatever you'd like related to this post - just wanna get some discussion going on a slow day.

QB: Jacory Harris, Stephen Morris
RB: Lamar Miller, Mike James, Eduardo Clements
WR: Allen Hurns, Laron Byrd, Phillip Dorsett, Rashawn Scott
TE: Chase Ford, Clive Walford, Asante Cleveland
OL: Joel Figeuroa, Tyler Horn, Harland Gunn, Brandon Washington, Jon Feliciano, Jermaine Johnson
DE: Andrew Smith, Marcus Robinson, Olivier Vernon, Adewale Ojomo
DT: Marcus Forston, Micanor Regis, Curtis Porter, Luther Robinson
LB: Jordan Futch, Ramon Buchanan, Sean Spence, Denzel Perryman, Kelvin Cain, Jimmy Gaines
CB: Brandon McGee, Lee Chambers, Thomas Finnie, Mike Williams
S: Ray-Ray Armstrong, Vaughn Telemaque, JoJo Nicolas (RIP)

QB: Kevin Olsen, Ryan Williams, Brad Kaaya
RB: Duke Johnson, Joe Yearby, Gus Edwards
WR: Stacy Coley, Phillip Dorsett, Malcolm Lewis, Rashawn Scott
TE: Clive Walford, Standish Dobard, Beau Sandland
OL: Ereck Flowers, Jon Feliciano, Alex Gall, Danny Isidora, Taylor Gadbois
DE: Anthony Chickillo, Ufomba Kamalu, Al-Quadin Muhammad, Tyriq McCord
DT: Earl Moore, Calvin Heurtelou, Olsen Pierre, Corey King, Jelani Hamilton
LB: Denzel Perryman, Raphael Kirby, Alex Figueroa, Jermaine Grace
CB: Tracy Howard, Artie Burns, Antonio Crawford, Nate Dortch
S: Deon Bush, Jamal Carter, Dallas Craford

First things that stick out to me are the massive upgrade in talent in the back-7 on defense and the still-glaring hole at DT. Thoughts?

Lets do scrub to player ratios. This is the best way to compare them.

*So tables don't do well here.

Essentially, UM still has 4 clowns in the 2-deep on the DL, but they have 1/2 the complete JAG's they had 4 years ago.Most of these guys (like Gadbois) are JAG material...so let see how they pan out.

How are "clowns" different from "JAGs"? We don't know yet about the DTs, since the big guy from California is not here yet, and we don't know about Heurtelou. Is it possible that Jenkins might be able to contribute?

As far as Gadbois, isn't it too early to know what he'll be?

Wr- major upgrade.
OL - push
TE - major upgrade
CB- major major upgrade

DT- no comment!

CB. 2014

That 2011 group also included Dorsett, Scott and Hurns who were not ahead of T3 and Streeter... Outside of Coley and Dorsey our wideouts are unproven... 2011 is better... As for the qb position the 2nd and 3rd passers all-time in the school records is better than a back up qb and two freshmen... Duke is better than Miller but our unit as a whole was better in 2011 and Miller running for almost 1300 yards can't be overlooked... That's still the best season for a back since Willis...

As for our safety's it's a wait and see... We have better athletes but both Telemaque and Ray were recognized by the ACC... Ray being a 2nd team all conference as a sophomore... We haven't had production from the safety position since then... Funny thing is Busg reminds if Ray but faster... Good tackler but struggles in coverage... It's a wait and see... Can't say it's better yet... Of course corner is better because we only had like 1 true corner who was a 4th rounder... Corner is an upgrade... I like Howard, I'm not a big fan of Gunter but He's better Mike Williams and I think he'll have a similar career as McGee once he's finish... I likd what I saw last year in spurts from Burns as well...

Too be honest we upgraded some positions but we took a step back in others 2011 had better qb's, oline , d-line, TE, and lbs... They also had more production from their safety's and backs as unit prior to that season than we have seen here... I like 2011 wideout group as unit because it include 3 of our top 4 wideouts from the past 2 years along with productive players like T3, TS and Byrd... However, Coley is a "bad man" and Dorsett is that "dude" along with Scott... We'll be fine with those 3 but we had more weapons then because of depth...

What they are not seeing is that they are talking about potential against what was proven with the 2011. They also don't take into account the coaching from 2010 to 2011. If players were productive under previous regime and not in current. Not players fault.

But in the end this discussion can't be made until this season is done. Because I gurantee you all the high hopes for the players will be turned to hate. The biggest example Is going to be McCord and aqm. Loads of potential but seem lost half the time. I think people forget Shannon was fired because we were projected to win coastal. Had the most talent at the time. In one year that doesn't change.

Advertisement
Gadbois a JAG? He hasn't quite put it together yet but the guy is a monster and I expect things to click for him real soon. I will take a roster full of JAGs like Gadbois who go on to have a productive NFL careers, which is what I see developing, a lot more NFLers on the 2014 squad.

'11 team looks like a C.F.L roster and the '14 team has N.F.L talent. Jethro and Artie better corch em up or GTFO

Da U 85, you're right! It's potential vs production... And the last regime dismissal was attributed to underachieving with the most talent in our division and possibly conference in 2010... Most of the players our fans are clamoring over haven't done much as of yet... We won't be able to really judge after this year... I also agree on your assessment regarding production... Because a kid was productive under the previous staff and not current isn't just the kid's fault...

Advertisement
I think people forget Shannon was fired because we were projected to win coastal. Had the most talent at the time. In one year that doesn't change.

Except we weren't.. VT was.. But please by all means continue your revisionist history.

I think people forget Shannon was fired because we were projected to win coastal. Had the most talent at the time. In one year that doesn't change.

Except we weren't.. VT was.. But please by all means continue your revisionist history.

You lied to us.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&id=13057&src=desktop

Now continue with your revisionist history. Now show me an article with someone else picking VT. Fact is we were projected to win. Every publication is not going to pick same team but to think we were talentless and not in contention is foolish.

You lied to us.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&id=13057&src=desktop

Now continue with your revisionist history. Now show me an article with someone else picking VT. Fact is we were projected to win. Every publication is not going to pick same team but to think we were talentless and not in contention is foolish.

Did you just post a Heather Dinich poll thinking you caught me in a lie?
:ibisroflmao:

Here's a link to an article about the ACC media picking VT#1, FSU#2 and Miami 3rd in the preseason poll.
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/26/2...d-to-win-acc-in-2010-media-poll-florida-state

Advertisement
Back