Roster changes 2011-2014

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
For the board's perusal and discussion, I'd like to point out some of the offensive and defensive roster from 2011 and 2014. Talk about whatever you'd like related to this post - just wanna get some discussion going on a slow day.

QB: Jacory Harris, Stephen Morris
RB: Lamar Miller, Mike James, Eduardo Clements
WR: Allen Hurns, Laron Byrd, Phillip Dorsett, Rashawn Scott
TE: Chase Ford, Clive Walford, Asante Cleveland
OL: Joel Figeuroa, Tyler Horn, Harland Gunn, Brandon Washington, Jon Feliciano, Jermaine Johnson
DE: Andrew Smith, Marcus Robinson, Olivier Vernon, Adewale Ojomo
DT: Marcus Forston, Micanor Regis, Curtis Porter, Luther Robinson
LB: Jordan Futch, Ramon Buchanan, Sean Spence, Denzel Perryman, Kelvin Cain, Jimmy Gaines
CB: Brandon McGee, Lee Chambers, Thomas Finnie, Mike Williams
S: Ray-Ray Armstrong, Vaughn Telemaque, JoJo Nicolas (RIP)

QB: Kevin Olsen, Ryan Williams, Brad Kaaya
RB: Duke Johnson, Joe Yearby, Gus Edwards
WR: Stacy Coley, Phillip Dorsett, Malcolm Lewis, Rashawn Scott
TE: Clive Walford, Standish Dobard, Beau Sandland
OL: Ereck Flowers, Jon Feliciano, Alex Gall, Danny Isidora, Taylor Gadbois
DE: Anthony Chickillo, Ufomba Kamalu, Al-Quadin Muhammad, Tyriq McCord
DT: Earl Moore, Calvin Heurtelou, Olsen Pierre, Corey King, Jelani Hamilton
LB: Denzel Perryman, Raphael Kirby, Alex Figueroa, Jermaine Grace
CB: Tracy Howard, Artie Burns, Antonio Crawford, Nate Dortch
S: Deon Bush, Jamal Carter, Dallas Craford

First things that stick out to me are the massive upgrade in talent in the back-7 on defense and the still-glaring hole at DT. Thoughts?

Advertisement
with all due respect the former players, roster this year is a major upgrade. Most of it has to do with the guy at the head. Also, can't wait til you can add the guys that are coming in a few weeks!!:fistbump:

Did anyone hear Duke "complaining" that Al talked him into hitting the weights and using the negative of the ankle as a positive!!!

Last edited:
For the board's perusal and discussion, I'd like to point out some of the offensive and defensive roster from 2011 and 2014. Talk about whatever you'd like related to this post - just wanna get some discussion going on a slow day.

OL: Joel Figeuroa, Tyler Horn, Harland Gunn, Brandon Washington, Jon Feliciano, Jermaine Johnson
LB: Jordan Futch, Ramon Buchanan, Sean Spence, Denzel Perryman, Kelvin Cain, Jimmy Gaines

First things that stick out to me are the massive upgrade in talent in the back-7 on defense and the still-glaring hole at DT. Thoughts?

Lets do scrub to player ratios. This is the best way to compare them.

*So tables don't do well here.

Essentially, UM still has 4 clowns in the 2-deep on the DL, but they have 1/2 the complete JAG's they had 4 years ago.

Most of these guys (like Gadbois) are JAG material...so let see how they pan out.

Duke looks huge a different person its ok if he looses a lil speed but I think he will gain it back when hr adapts to his new body

Upgrades are significant on offense as well. WRs and TEs are a big step forward. QBs are potentially a nice upgrade but it's hard to know until we see someone under center on gameday. And am I crazy to expect the 2017 roster to have some DTs?

Advertisement
What's with the trashing of DTs. Fact is Regis wasnt a scrub. He wasnt a dominator but he was a steady servicable DT for us. And Forston wasnt the worst DT to ever play here, he just seemed that way because he never came close to livign up to his hype.

As for the current crop, we also dont know what we have in these guys yet. This year is going to tell a lot. Moore and King were VERY young when thrown into the fire. YOu almost NEVER get any productivity from young guys at DT. This is the year to show if they have made strides and may develop into some servicable competitors. Pierre has been servicable for us too. Kamalu just came in last year and was raw as ****. Dude got better and better as the year went on. I expect him to be a MAJOR factor on the DL next year. Hamilton is also young. This will be his year to show if he's making any strides or if he's on the path to bust. But dudes are WAY off base with some of the verdicts on guys who were RFrosh last year.

What's with the trashing of DTs. Fact is Regis wasnt a scrub. He wasnt a dominator but he was a steady servicable DT for us. And Forston wasnt the worst DT to ever play here, he just seemed that way because he never came close to livign up to his hype.

As for the current crop, we also dont know what we have in these guys yet. This year is going to tell a lot. Moore and King were VERY young when thrown into the fire. YOu almost NEVER get any productivity from young guys at DT. This is the year to show if they have made strides and may develop into some servicable competitors. Pierre has been servicable for us too. Kamalu just came in last year and was raw as ****. Dude got better and better as the year went on. I expect him to be a MAJOR factor on the DL next year. Hamilton is also young. This will be his year to show if he's making any strides or if he's on the path to bust. But dudes are WAY off base with some of the verdicts on guys who were RFrosh last year.

My verdict is on the 2014 roster, not the kids. I'm not dogging a RS-Sophmore, I'm dogging a roster where you look to a RS-Soph to contribute. I hope we won't have to, or if we do that they turn out to be All-Americans, but looking at it in April I do not see us trending up at that position from 2011 to today.

Definitely much better talent and depth in the secondary. Also the depth at DE is much better now.

The big question mark i STILL see on this team is depth at LB. I said it last year, and Im still saying it, and its not an excuse for Dorito, but losing EJ, Paul, and Terry REALLY devastated our LB depth. Im happy as **** DP is back, and hoping for good things from Figs and Kirby this year, but behind them, Im sweating it. Owens has ALL WORLD potential, but is very young. Grace is REALLY thin, will probably work more in pass coverage but he's not ready to stuff holes and crash the LOS. I have not heard much to think Juwon Young is ready to make any kind of impact.

This team definitely has talent at almost every position, what is still uncertain is depth, and how our QB and OL situation is going to develop. Also curious to see how ready Duke and Yearby are going to be.

Advertisement

128.jpg

I think we'll be okay at linebacker.

Perryman
Kirby
Figueroa
Armbrister
Grace
Blue
Owens
Young
McCray
Smith

McCord can also play LB

Agree with McCord being servicable at LB but I would rather not keep f*cking the kid up by moving him around. Lets pick a **** spot and let him do his thing. I expect Owens to see playing time, Grace, and Armbrister in support of Figs, DP and Kirby. Its not outstanding, but if Figs can stay healthy, and Kirby can keep developing, it should be a servicable group. I dont think Young and McCray are ready at all. Also think Smith may end up at DE or in a hybrid position. Blue is another head scratcher. I mean the guy's name has just been a myth since he signed here.

I dont like having to rely on too many Frosh at LB. As it is, I feel like Grace is almost like a hybrid S/LB he is so thin. Any injuries in the starting crew and I fear we are looking at LB play similar to last year.

Advertisement
That 2011 roster is not correct first of all. And let's not forget that 2011 roster defense was coming off a good 2010 defensive year. Top 5 in sacks and tfl. Number 2 in pass defense.

Delusional if you guys think this team is better. ESP since all the unknowns of this squad ie qb, oline, and the entire defense.

Great post...in two years...go back and highlite who is in the NFL that is productive and drafted in the 1st three rounds....

That too will be a shock
but you wanna really shock me...beat Louisville and have a nasty defense in doing it

Qb looks to be an upgrade
Rb - maybe an upgrade. Lamar miller and MJ were solid. Yearby will need to ball for it to be a major upgrade
Wr- major upgrade.
OL - push
TE - major upgrade
DE-upgrade. Especially if chad is who we think he is.
DT - worse. This is scary
LB - should be an upgrade. Still have to see it, though.
CB- major major upgrade
Safety - LOL. 2011 turned out to be an abomination

Advertisement
That 2011 roster is not correct first of all. And let's not forget that 2011 roster defense was coming off a good 2010 defensive year. Top 5 in sacks and tfl. Number 2 in pass defense.

Delusional if you guys think this team is better. ESP since all the unknowns of this squad ie qb, oline, and the entire defense.

in 2010 we were top 10 in sacks ......pass defense was so good that teams ran all over us like 83rd in the nation in run defense and yes 3rd in pass....We had some good players on that 2010 squad that bailed...Olivier, Ray ray and spence Cmac are all NFL guys..and all but Ray ray would still start over this team

in 2010 we were top 10 in sacks ......pass defense was so good that teams ran all over us like 83rd in the nation in run defense and yes 3rd in pass....We had some good players on that 2010 squad that bailed...Olivier, Ray ray and spence Cmac are all NFL guys..and all but Ray ray would still start over this team

LMAO!

The only major question mark in talent vs. 2011 is DT. Jury still out there. Every other spot is equal or better, with better depth BTW. The DBs light years better, and the TEs and WRs are also substantially better. Mike Williams and Vaught Telemaque ... smh

Advertisement
Back