Romello Height

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why they would want Height taking snaps away from Kelly, Wayne, and Lightfoot. To me, they are all similar players. I'd rather have the young pups getting some burn behind Alston, Mesidor and Bain
Is Kelly truly healthy? Has he ever been? They also were playing Wayne has more of a hybrid DE/OLB last year so Height to me represents insurance for Kelly.

Advertisement
Kid handled his recruitment like a huge douche nozzle but most of us were douche nozzles at 18. That said this is nothing more than a depth piece to keep what happened last year from happening again. We literally had no ends left by seasons end. Adding a guy with four sacks to be your third or fourth rotational guy off the bench is fine. Not everyone is a starter when building your roster.

Kid handled his recruitment like a huge douche nozzle but most of us were douche nozzles at 18. That said this is nothing more than a depth piece to keep what happened last year from happening again. We literally had no ends left by seasons end. Adding a guy with four sacks to be your third or fourth rotational guy off the bench is fine. Not everyone is a starter when building your roster.
I think that's the issue most people are taking issue with. We have almost 0 depth and no immediate impact players at other positions like RB, CB, etc and we're adding another depth piece.

People want impact players ala Ward, Stevenson, and Phillips. Not saying it can't or won't happen, it's just more of a head-scratcher.

Advertisement
I don't get bring in Romello height whatsoever. Would have taken Okunlola over him 100%. Don't think we need another EDGE at all though.

Bain, Mesidor, Kelly, Alston, Wayne, and the freshman. That's enough. And even if it wasn't why Height? ...
Doubt Okunlola was ok with coming in and being depth. He’s a starter.

Their stats were also nearly identical as far as production. The difference is, Height is a one year rental so it's a high-floor move at worst.

Is Kelly truly healthy? Has he ever been? They also were playing Wayne has more of a hybrid DE/OLB last year so Height to me represents insurance for Kelly.

We have more than just Kelly, who need the on-field time.

Does anyone know where Malik Bryant is?

Honestly, it's nothing personal with Height. I couldn't care less what a 17 year old kid did 3 years ago, if he could help us this fall. I just think we have some young pups I'd rather see get the on-field development time.

Players like Wayne, Bryant, Lightfoot, and Kelly need some on-field experience

I think that's the issue most people are taking issue with. We have almost 0 depth and no immediate impact players at other positions like RB, CB, etc and we're adding another depth piece.

People want impact players ala Ward, Stevenson, and Phillips. Not saying it can't or won't happen, it's just more of a head-scratcher.
So adding a depth piece now that’s already in the portal means we won’t add other pieces after spring? Will adding a rotational piece take spots from positions of need ? Or is this Cis worrying about **** and freaking out over nothing per usual? There’s going to be players of need entering the portal after spring but there’s nothing wrong having a bird in the hand right now ( if he’s added ). There’ll be plenty of movement both ways after spring.

Advertisement
We have more than just Kelly, who need the on-field time.

Does anyone know where Malik Bryant is?

Honestly, it's nothing personal with Height. I couldn't care less what a 17 year old kid did 3 years ago, if he could help us this fall. I just think we have some young pups I'd rather see get the on-field development time.

Players like Wayne, Bryant, Lightfoot, and Kelly need some on-field experience
I think we're overanalyzing here. Height likely plays 15 snaps per game so I doubt he's taking time away from another player's development.

So adding a depth piece now that’s already in the portal means we won’t add other pieces after spring? Will adding a rotational piece take spots from positions of need ? Or is this Cis worrying about **** and freaking out over nothing per usual? There’s going to be players of need entering the portal after spring but there’s nothing wrong having a bird in the hand right now ( if he’s added ). There’ll be plenty of movement both ways after spring.
Adding this rotational piece should only come if we lose someone at this position though. He'd be DE5 at best, more likely DE6 when the rest of the guys are healthy. We are going to take him based on 4 sacks? Based on 4plays out of his entire season? Half were against ASU who had 3 wins. Idk man he is undersized *** well, and literally didn't start a game for USC last year.

Like if Campbell leaves this is fine I guess - even though they are totally different players. He's got like 1yr eligibility and if we brought in Height would be what DE6 or DT5/6?

I would not take Height.

Last edited:
Bingo

tim and eric comedy GIF

Exhibit A of why it’s never good to base anything off hi-lights.

However, when a player don’t have many hi-lights, this is a great case study:

Rule 1: Make sure the music bangs
Rule 2: Start the hi-light off w/ a guy walking or jumping around in slow-mo. (Must be at least 10 - 15 secs)
Rule 3: Show 10 best plays, but make sure to include that same play as a replay in slow-mo (must be 5-7 secs in length)
Rule 4: Even if u didn’t make a play, and u’re somewhere in the vicinity, do a quick shot of ur #, but keep it moving.

Voila, u have urself a 2-3 min. hi-light reel, duping any casual who actually didn’t watch u play.

Advertisement
As Cribby just mention is just depth. Until proven otherwise Messidor and Kelly have to prove that they can be injury free the majority of the time.

Last edited:
Adding this rotational piece should only come if we lose someone at this position though. He'd be DE5 at best, more likely DE6 when the rest of the guys are healthy. We are going to take him based on 4 sacks? Based on 4plays out of his entire season? Half were against ASU who had 3 wins. Idk man he is undersized *** well, and literally didn't start a game for USC last year.

Like if Campbell leaves this is fine I guess - even though they are totally different players. He's got like 1yr eligibility and if we brought in Height would be what DE6 or DT5/6?

I would not take Height.
Remember a couple months ago I said we’ll rightfully need to add a portal rb and everyone came back with “ bro look at our depth chart”. Yet they had no clue Parrish was leaving ( I did ) they also didn’t know there was guys with questions about injuries and possibly dragging out longer than expected. I’d much rather coaches handle business like this rather than taking their chances. Fans don’t know anything that’s going on inside when it comes to guys leaving and rehabilitation. We have multiple guys coming back from injuries and there’s always the chance guys can leave.

Remember a couple months ago I said we’ll rightfully need to add a portal rb and everyone came back with “ bro look at our depth chart”. Yet they had no clue Parrish was leaving ( I did ) they also didn’t know there was guys with questions about injuries and possibly dragging out longer than expected. I’d much rather coaches handle business like this rather than taking their chances. Fans don’t know anything that’s going on inside when it comes to guys leaving and rehabilitation. We have multiple guys coming back from injuries and there’s always the chance guys can leave.
how is he as a character kid? he seems low rent to me. has he changed his ways since hes been a bust in college?

Advertisement
Exhibit A of why it’s never good to base anything off hi-lights.

However, when a player don’t have many hi-lights, this is a great case study:

Rule 1: Make sure the music bangs
Rule 2: Start the hi-light off w/ a guy walking or jumping around in slow-mo. (Must be at least 10 - 15 secs)
Rule 3: Show 10 best plays, but make sure to include that same play as a replay in slow-mo (must be 5-7 secs in length)
Rule 4: Even if u didn’t make a play, and u’re somewhere in the vicinity, do a quick shot of ur #, but keep it moving.

Voila, u have urself a 2-3 min. hi-light reel, duping any casual who actually didn’t watch u play.
he just isnt good to justify the obvious concerns. if the coaches want him there, so be it. they just have to live the consequences if it goes south

This. Everyone is saying we passed on him. Are there reports on that? Maybe he wanted starting reps and we couldn't promise him that. I don't like Height's recruitment, but it's been a few years and he's probably matured some. That and bouncing to his third school has a tendency to humble a dude (hopefully). Would be a good depth piece.

Well I was someone that had been saying since before the end of last year that I expected both Chaney and Parish to be gone. So I wasn’t against taking a portal RB - that always made sense to me. I think I was even for getting Etienne…

But with edge, again I’m saying this HAS to come at the cost of an edge leaving, otherwise this take makes zero sense. So if what you’re saying is to expect that, then sure. But that to me means Kelly or Campbell.

But I’m not even of the opinion Height is the guy we should be targeting…. To me the issue is priority. Like Romello Height is the type of guy we are trying to get as our first spring portal addition? To me edge/height are the type of guy you have as fall back towards the end of portal period….but oh well. If we get all the other positions of need it’s fine I guess. I don’t view this move as being anything better than a fine/meh addition

As Cribby just mention is just depth. Until proven otherwise Messidor and Kelly have to prove that they can be injury free the majority of the time.
Isn't the reasoning given for Height's lack of production in 4 years of college football is because he's missed a lot of games with injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back