Rome(not Jim) was not built in a day, some thoughts...

k9cane

Senior
and first of all, great to just hang out and watch our Canes, regardless. Want to thank @CanesAreAble for his hospitality. Seriously, just watching some football, cutting it up, drinking and eating in an unhealthy fashion, felt normal --- and great.

Now, dont want to be too critical, given the circumstances the past six months. I know this is just the beginning of the process, after 15 years of being behind the times, we aren't suddenly going to become this offensive juggernaut under this whole new system

the offense --- not great, but to me, this season will be about D-King just bailing us out with his athleticism and playmaking ability. yeah, he missed some shots downfield, but he also made plays with his legs. Able and I almost did a double Fred Sanford -- the big one!! -- as he made a dollar out 15 cents with his ability to scramble and make guys miss. Literally, we had never seen that utilized at UM in that way

I loved the tempo, you could see UAB wilt, we ran a lot more plays than usual and the Canes, at times, wore them down. IMO, King could've kept the ball a few times on the read plays but I get the sense he was told to make the plays straight dives. Which is fine, this was our exhibition season, I get it. But this season will be about wearing teams down late with the tempo and number of plays. We still dont have that Oline that can go out and just blow people off the ball early on and dominate. 2020 the Canes will be like Julio Cesar Chavez, they will have to body punch teams into submission late.

I still worry about the interior of the Oline, Marty Bibla and Richard Mercier aren't walking through that door. But again, that's where King's legs come into play

As for the D, not bad, take away the Pope punt muff, they score 7 points. Got gashed early, but overall not bad. I still feel we dont have an elite shutdown corner. But I think Nesta finally flashed. Kicking game was solid tonight. But I can't lie DJ Ivey concerns me

Now, L'ville is one of these pivotal games that will really tell if this team is poised to have a good/great season or just another average one.

Regardless, guys it was great to watch Hurricane football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh God, a level-headed post. CIS is about to self-destruct.
thx, rewatched the game. One thing that concerns me is LB play. Jennings had some issues getting off blocks, McClouds instincts have always been iffy. Also, just some bad overall run fits, where the defense got gashed .There's something about Baker as DC I dont like

Good post. It was fine for a first game IMO. King is a player. Next week we will show a lot more stuff against Louisville and we can get a better idea of WR play. This was a warmup.

90% of this board told me we were going 11-0, beating Clemson and bring on Bama before this game. And if anyone questioned that company line, look out!

Advertisement
52 rushes, 337 yards. Passing game was at 65% despite some sloppy pass blocking, mediocre play from the wide receivers, and King not exactly being pinpoint. The offense was better than "not great" to me. idk.

thx, rewatched the game. One thing that concerns me is LB play. Jennings had some issues getting off blocks, McClouds instincts have always been iffy. Also, just some bad overall run fits, where the defense got gashed .There's something about Baker as DC I dont like
In agreement, i think there will be tough sledding early at lb until more game reps transpire. Need to just line up and decrease the number of stunts and exotic blitzes. DT's commanding double teams will help the backers

Advertisement
Back