Romberg On Mario's Rebuilding Process

Maybe so.. The Miami situation has been a special case of dysfunction for over 20 years.'A massive change ocurred two years ago from the top on down. At the same time let's not forget that Mario Cristobal in Oregon was a succesful coach. He didnt forget how to win all of a sudden.Sure he's not Harbaugh but he's not diaz/Shannon and Golden either. And he recruits way better than Harbaugh who spent a decade in Michigan not winning anything of significance until the last three year. In three years at Oregon Cristobal went to three Pac 12 titles won a bunch of games with two conference titles and a Rose bowl and recruited lights out. Dude set up Lanning with a nasty roster.

I think that's why he gets the benefit of the doubt too. Cristobal built something there and I think he's trying to do that here. I am willing to give him a little leeway.
View attachment 278000
In 2020, one of his Pac "championships", he went 4-3, got beat 34-17 by Iowa State in the bowl game, and finished ranked 25.. Tired of people using that as some kind of great year for Mario. And the Pac has been down bad during his time there. A perfect storm for a great recruiter and bad game day coach.

2019, his 2nd year, was a good year at Oregon. But it was bolstered by a very weak schedule. He lost to eventual 9-4 Auburn to open the season. Beat up a bunch of mediocre PAC teams (except Arizona State , who upset them with a losing record in the PAC) who's best record was 8-5 to end the season, and then won 2 impressive games against Utah and Wisconsin to finish the season. He wasn't THAT impressive at Oregon.

in his years at Oregon he had 3 impressive wins. Utah, Wisconsin, and Ohio State. He had at least as many bad losses

Besides, we have our own sample size at Miami now. And it's worse than any other natl title coach in the country and any head coach we've had here in 40 years. Even Howard Schnellenberger had a better record through 2 years. And he took over a program that was on the verge of dropping football.

If Mario wants to win a title, odds are stacked against him and he'll need to drastically change the way he does things. He needs to reinvent himself and reinvent college football in some ways. Take what he's learned from Saban, Butch, Jimmy. Erickson, etc and create something new.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A researched response

The other option is the "Mike Norvell" path. Improved every year making slight gains first two years had a very good third year and broke out this year.

Who is to say Miami is not on a similar albeit more sustainable path?

With that being said. Year 3 is CRITICAL for Mario or else it's just excuses.
Yup, a 10-win season helps fix that for sure. Anything less and it's a failure and we have to start discussing what the long term looks like.

Advertisement
Self awareness and accountability go a long way. We should infuse those into the ‘culture.’ Sometimes, there just aren’t excuses for the stinkers - on and off the field. Own it, change it, and I’m sure most reasonable people will give all due credit for the presumed positive results. Being told what to think and how to react to objectively disappointing results makes matters worse, but what do I know.

i spoke with someone this weekend whose son works inside the football program. he told me two curious things.

1. mario has a "game/time management" person on the sideline that helps him with game/time management issues. maybe someone that is connected can confirm or deny.

2. most people around Mario are intimidated by him and fear providing him with contradictory information, Yikes! I hope and doubt that this applies to Zo.

reality is .. until our kids stop being IG whores and stop supporting other players esp ones that transfer out and go to our rivals... until that culture changes we will always be soft and not have it in us.
Bad Culture has little to do with the players, they're just an way scapegoat because there at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of power/influence. Plus they're only here for 2,3,4 years and unless they make a major impact, are mostly just random names and faces.

Advertisement
K
reality is .. until our kids stop being IG whores and stop supporting other players esp ones that transfer out and go to our rivals... until that culture changes we will always be soft and not have it in us.
That is kinda society as a whole nowadays tho. That’s their generation. Social media brought the world closer together add that to 7v7 circuits and football camps they all know each other regardless of what school they eventually choose. Toss in the transfer portal and NIL now team spirit and loyalty are on the decline.

Bad Culture has little to do with the players, they're just an way scapegoat because there at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of power/influence. Plus they're only here for 2,3,4 years and unless they make a major impact, are mostly just random names and faces.
These multi million dollar coaches are bending over backwards to get these kids to sign with them while forking out whatever it takes

Mario has glaring problems but this generation of kids are the softest dumbest group of them all

You said "Plus they're only here for 2,3,4 years and unless they make a major impact, are mostly just random names and faces." That's called a ROSTER LMAO

The majority of these kids don't care about being loyal and why should they when coaches aren't either, getting paid and dipping out when it gets ugly.
Instant gratification has all but ruined CFB

The players are not a scapegoat whatsoever, they hold mostly all of the power choosing where they want to end up and how hard they want to perform depending on the current situation. It's win or lose on the field from there, the coaches cant suit up for them but they can certainly be detriment if its bush league play calling and zero game management

Mario has busted his asse for everything he has in life including this position, he is relentless when it comes to work ethic and that's why I am being patient in year three

Pay the proven transfer players all day, no problems with that they are a proven commodity. These self entitled soft as charmin children coming out of high school are getting paid lotsss of dough and they haven't proven jack **** so yea they are now at the top of the totem poll not the bottom and your smoking crack if you think otherwise

Advertisement
this is false.

culture is passed on from one class to another where the younger class mimics what the older class does. this truth doesn't absolve the coaches/admin.

K

That is kinda society as a whole nowadays tho. That’s their generation. Social media brought the world closer together add that to 7v7 circuits and football camps they all know each other regardless of what school they eventually choose. Toss in the transfer portal and NIL now team spirit and loyalty are on the decline.
yeah.. generations has changed but reality is until this is fixed were going to be soft.... i dont see GA or bama players on ig supporting and di*k riding rival players etc

this is false.

culture is passed on from one class to another where the younger class mimics what the older class does. this truth doesn't absolve the coaches/admin.
Just realized the grammatical errors in my post. Half sleep at work and not paying attention.

Bad coaches breed bad culture. So many people blame Manny Diaz for the current state of the program and claim that Mario has to clean up his mess (this has been done with every other Miami coach prior). Folks claim Cristobal is instilling discipline in the players, yet the team is still dealing with issues resulting from poor culture (bonehead penalties, lack of total effort, players looking unprepared on GameDay etc). That's ALL on Mario. These are majority his guys so if there are still cultural issues then that's 100% on him.

Also, i question his effectiveness as a leader of after two full seasons as HC and there are still locker room cancers and bad culture fits. Isn't his job as an $8M+ coach is be an effective leader and instill a positive culture? 25 games in and there still seems to be gaps and lapses. Again, it's easy to blame the players because they constantly come and go via recruiting, portal, draft/graduation etc. Besides, if these players were such cancers and bad culture fits to the team Mario has the power and autonomy to kick them off the team almost instantly. Which entity sets a program back more; bad coaching/leadership or bad players? There's a reason these coaches are getting paid $9-$10M+/year; the right coach will make and/or break your program.

Advertisement
i spoke with someone this weekend whose son works inside the football program. he told me two curious things.

1. mario has a "game/time management" person on the sideline that helps him with game/time management issues. maybe someone that is connected can confirm or deny.

2. most people around Mario are intimidated by him and fear providing him with contradictory information, Yikes! I hope and doubt that this applies to Zo.

bringing this back up. does Mario have a grad assistant or similar that helps with game/time management???????????????????????????????????

Recently had a conversation with a former Oregon player, played his last year under Mario. Said Mario had his hands deep in the offensive scheme, told the players that he wanted to change Oregon from a spread fast paced offense to a more physical smash mouth offense. That didn't fit this guy's game.

No doubt that Mario is handcuffing Dawson.

Advertisement
Back